#1 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hi all,

I don't have any real need for the TMG ID in RM but I don't seem to be able a find of way to get rid of it.

I can't see a way to eliminate it from the direct TMG import nor can I see a way to remove all occurrences of it from within RM. I also do not have the skills to remove it using something like the SQLite utility.

Any ideas anyone?

Wayne Thurley

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:49 AM

That was added in the last update forTMG Conversion to RM because there were some TMG users who relied on theTMG record numbers for various reasons.

http://forums.rootsm...update-history/

The RM Reference number fact is a program defined fact and cannot be deleted within a database as user defined facts can be.

WARNING, this procedure is global and will delete all links to the fact.

In the RM database, you could go to Lists, Fact type lists and Edit the fact.  Uncheck  Exporting Gedcom files.

Create a new database and Drag and Drop one person into that database.  Choose Everyone in the database on the Drag and Drop screen.

If you have changed the default fact sentence for the Principal and Witness in the old database, you will need to also make those changes for the sentences in the new database.

User defined fact default sentences transfers, Sharee role sentences except for Witness transfers, and customized sentences on rhe Edit screen transfers.

The new database would then become your main database.

If you do have other Reference numbers you want to keep, but still want to use the above procedure, you could create a Reports, List, Fact report.

In the Create a list of menu choose People with more rhan one of this fact.

Choose rhe Reference number fact.

Generate report

Save the report to a rtf file if you have a word processor that supports Microsoft rtf files or a text file.

Open the file side by side with the new database in Windows.

Open the Edit person screen for a person and add the Reference number fact.  Copy the Reference number you want in the report file and paste it into the fact description.

#3 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I don't have any real need for the TMG ID in RM but I don't seem to be able a find of way to get rid of it.

This is why I prefer the v6.3.3.1 import. Getting rid of the TMG_ID facts is simple. You just delete the TMG_ID fact type.

Needing to do what Laura describes and having to re-edit the fact types is a real pain.

You should be able to create a SQL script to remove the reference number facts. Tom?

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

New users cannot download a previous update to RM 6.

Some users may not have the skills or the time or the inclination to use SQL to solve the problem.

I try to figure out how to get the desired results using RM, and Tom and others take care of how to get the results using SQL. <Grin>

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Deletion of all instances of the Reference Number fact was covered in http://sqlitetoolsfo...o Record Number . If the user has added other Reference Numbers since the import, these, too will be deleted, as they would be with Laura's GEDCOM filter.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hi all,

If these pesty things have to stay then they have to stay. It's not a show stopper for me.

If they have to stay can they be the first fact in each person's list of assigned facts?

I am a bit confused as to why it is such a problem to have them removed as I do not use the Ref # fact for anything else. It appears I can go through person by person and delete the Ref # fact one by one fact  I cannot use a SQLite command to delete all occurrences of them all in one hit. I do not want to delete the Ref # fact, I just want to delete all occurrences of it as the first step in migrating to RM.

I know I am missing something obvious.

Wayne Thurley

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:19 AM

I've never used TMG, but I'm wondering ... since each Fact Type can be edited to not export to GEDCOM (in RM, for certain, and maybe also in TMG?), then is it also possible to edit a Fact Type to affect how it is handled during a direct import from TMG to RM? I'd imagine this would involve modifying the Fact Type settings in TMG.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

RootsMagic creates the Ref# fact for each person it imports directly from TMG. There is no option. That could be added as an enhancement to TMG Import. So could a global delete of a selected fact type. Join the queue.

The only way for the Ref# fact to be the first in the Edit Person screen is for it to be assigned the earliest Sort Date. That's another enhancement request. Or another SQLite query.

The only thing you are missing is that there are no other ways to get rid of the Ref# facts than Laura's GEDCOM setting for Ref# prior to drag'n'drop and SQLite. SQLite is not so hard; it is a simple statement:

DELETE FROM EventTable WHERE EventType = 35; (if I remember that number correctly)

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Tom. what are the steps leading up to that point?

Copy the database?

Open the SQL program?

Pick the database to work on?

Enter the statement?

Run RM, Database.tools on the database at the end?

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

That is the correct outline, Laura, with the addition of Execute after entering the SQL statement.

Of course, one needs to have downloaded and installed a SQLite manager such as SQLiteSpy.

Here's a page that describes some beginners' experiences and illustrates using SQLiteSpy on a RootsMagic database: http://sqlitetoolsfo...uery RootsMagic

#11 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

I will use the SQLite command to delete all occurrences of Ref #.

Take it as problem solved everyone.

Wayne Thurley

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Wayne, consider carefully whether you want to keep any reference to the number by which you know persons in your TMG database. Most other TMG users wanted to preserve it and wanted it to be the Record Number in RootsMagic. See TMG-RM Convert TMG_ID to Record Number

#13 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for that info Tom. I can't think of a reason I want to keep the TMG ID but  I don't plan on going to RM for some time. Currently I am just planning my path to RM.

My TMG database will be intact and current for at least another 6 months.

If I can ghet some idea what use this number is to other TMG users then I might change my mind.

Wayne Thurley

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

The obvious reason is for cross-checking and verifying the data between the two databases. The number is shorthand to identify a person. In TMG, the GoTo# button on the tool bar wants that number. It's the number displayed beside the name. In RootsMagic, the Ref# can optionally be displayed beside the name but it is the Record Number that has the near-equivalence to the GoTo# button.

#15 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Many TMG users have document filing systems based on the TMG ID number. I always have used it as part of my naming system for person exhibits (and didn't want to change that for RM).

#16 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it sounds to me as if it would be very beneficial to have an option in RM's direct TMG import about how and whether to store the TMG ID in RM.

Jerry

#17 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

I agree with Jerry but I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't want to start up a huge discussion over something that is not of huge importance to me. I will get rid of it via SQLite because it looks irrelevant and very ugly sitting there amongst a swag of very relevant data.

Wayne Thurley

#18 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

Hi Tom,

Can I discuss the use of SQLite offline with you? I have downloaded it, done the RMNOCase thingo  and loaded the RM database but I cannot get any downloaded (sql) commands to work (shows no results available).

Its the SQL commands that are the issue. I used you command followed by a colon to get rid of the occurrences of Ref # and that worked great.

I know this is not the right place to discuss these things.

Wayne Thurley

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

I will host a GoToMeeting for two guests at 4PM EST (in 20 minutes) as an experiment. It's a free service, registration not required and supports voice, video, screen views. First trial for me. 

Edit: requires Chrome or Firefox browser