51 replies to this topic

#41 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

The main project at RootsMagic right now is rewriting RM to also work on a Mac for version 7.

So, don't expect there to be any changes in the way Indexes sort any time soon.

Also, just because we suggest changes does not mean RM is obligated to make them. The suggested changes may or may not be made or not made in the same way we invisioned them.

TMG users that are evaluating RootsMagic should evaluate it as it is today. Not evaluate it on what they think it will be or wish it to be in the future.

OK.  Laura, I seem to have offended you.  I'm sorry, that was not my intention.  I haven't asked for a change to the way Indexes sort.  I'm just asking that users be allowed an option to allow the Prefix/Title to be displayed last.  I understand this problem only applies to those who have ancestors with lengthy titles.  This problem would apply to 100s of 1000s of genealogists.  I have no way of knowing how many are using RM, or how many of those might want to use RM.  Perhaps it would be better if I just used TomH's utility.  Then we could drop discussion of item #1, and it could be removed from the list Renee submitted.  I have hesitated using TomH's utility because I can't undo it once it's done.

I never thought RM was obligated to make these changes.  I entitled my thread "Wish List" not "RM better make these changes or else".  There have been people who agreed with me:  #3-Jerry, (sort of) #2. Jerry, #8 & #9-Mike M, 1-13, Helmut.  If RM wants to attract more TMG refugees, adding these changes would help.  Sooner rather than later might help in that regard.  This is an observation, not a demand.  (Helmut is an example of a TMG refugee who would become an RM user if these changes were made.  How long will those like Helmut hover out in the void?)

Laura, I understand what you are saying about the Descendants View, and I will use that and the other Views.  Again, my #13 View suggestion was intended to streamline the Views, making them less 'clicky'.  There is only a small bit of information or functionality missing from each View.  I wish I could attach a screen shot of my TMG customized View, but I can't.  I would give more specifics, but I hesitate to do so.  I don't want to cause further upset. Renee, If RM decides to make any of the changes on my "Wish List", perhaps they could contact me directly for specifics?  (I would like to make sure they understand exactly what I'm suggesting.)

I apologize to any I have offended.  I only meant to suggest improvements, not stage a coup.  These changes might also help attract users from other programs, or genealogy newbies, as well.  Some of these are key reasons I chose TMG.  RM must have wanted to attract TMG users or they wouldn't have written the direct TMG import.  Adding these suggestions, I think, would be of benefit to all.  Perhaps the benefits can only be fully appreciated when they've been experienced.  

Kim D

#42 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

I was not offended.

Any one can ask for anything they want on the Wish list, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with the suggestion.

#43 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:18 AM

I have hesitated using TomH's utility because I can't undo it once it's done.

Don't forget the easily, oft-overlooked Backup feature of RM. Just as with importing and such, creating a backup just prior to any such operations (and perhaps with a descriptive name of the pending action to be done)...one can experiment more confidently and know that a Restore to the last confidence level of database wrangling is immediately available.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#44 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

I have hesitated using TomH's utility because I can't undo it once it's done.

Kevin already mentioned having backups to recover from problems you might create with SQLite. It's also very helpful to practice on a copy of your database instead of practicing on your production database. It's extremely easy with RM to make a copy.(File -> Copy from the menu bar). Practicing on a copy certainly makes sense with SQLite scripts. And even aside from SQLite scripts, making a copy of your database is also useful if you are just trying out some some new techniques of storing your data or producing reports in different ways and you don't want to mess up your production database. The File -> Copy approach can sometimes be advantageous when making a copy of your database as compared to Drag and Drop because it runs much faster and because it makes a faithful copy of your database that doesn't lose anything.

Jerry

#45 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Don't forget the easily, oft-overlooked Backup feature of RM. 

It's also very helpful to practice on a copy of your database instead of practicing on your production database. 

Jerry

Thanks to both Kevin and Jerry.  I hadn't forgotten Backup and I have used Copy to make a "sandbox" copy of one of my files for use with a trial run on several things.  I have used both.  The Copy/Backup methods make sense when running a one time modification to a Data File.  I can run TomH's utility now, but I may regret that if there is an option available in 6 months (or whenever) that allows me to have the Prefix/Title displayed after the given- and surnames.  In 6 months (or whenever) I will (hopefully) have made hundreds of additions/modifications.  If I fall back to the Backup or earlier copy of the file, therefore "undoing" the utility modifications, I will lose all those additions/modifications.  

I would also have to move all my Sr., Jr., etc. now in Suffix somewhere else, like the end of the surname, to keep them separate from those lengthy Titles.  This would have to be done/undone one person at a time for 184 people.  Cumbersome to do, really cumbersome to undo.  In addition, the name-field-order-display change may or may not be offered at some unknown time in the future.  I'm in a quandary.  

Kim D

#46 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

Alternatively, you can use the feature Events > Set Same Date Sort Order in the RMtrix utility downloadable from Bundled Utilities - RMtrix

I have RMTrix downloaded & installed.  Running date sort order from RMTrix worked great!  Thanks!  It made me look more closely at other RMTrix and I ran those, too.  A bit of housecleaning.  Thanks again.

Kim D

#47 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

Good to know, Kim. Remember to run RM Database Tools after using RMtrix on your database...

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#48 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

Good to know, Kim. Remember to run RM Database Tools after using RMtrix on your database...

Thank you for reminding me.  I have one more bothersome tag - Cause of Death.  In TMG, the Cause of Death tag is always displayed after the Death tag.  In RM, the Cause of Death fact appears above the Death fact, which bugged me.  I was able to add a line to the utility placing Cause of Death after Death.  It worked most of the time, but I can't figure out why.  It didn't re-order Death-Cause of Death when the date is a "between" date (e.g., between 1021 and 1022) - sometimes. Sometimes it worked and it re-ordered "between" dates and sometimes it didn't.  I can't see a difference between the ones that did work and the ones that didn't.  I just thought I'd mention it in case it means something to you.  In general, the Sort Date utility is a great help!  Now if I could just figure out how to get the Note contents to display in the Sentence.  The Help file says Note should display after the basic Cause of Death fact information, but that isn't the case as far as I can see.  The Help article isn't clear about how to make this happen.

Kim D

#49 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have two other items to add to my WishList:

14. Search and Replace

Any plans to expand the scope?

15. Search for Information (Find Filters)

Would it be possible to include the number of records found?  When I write a search filter, I have no idea if there are 5 records found, or 500 records found.  

Kim D

#50 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

You are commenting on the RMtrix Same Date Sort Order function which we should really be discussing on the wiki site. It may be that there were one or more of the date formats that I had not succeeded in interpreting correctly as Sort Date numbers. If you do not find a repetitious example, then I am at a loss and can only suggest that if it did 99% of your task, you are well ahead of where you were!

Event Note values do not appear in Event Sentences. They can be optionally outputted according to the setting in Report Settings for a given report and will follow the Event Sentence there.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#51 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have two other items to add to my WishList:

14. Search and Replace

Any plans to expand the scope?

15. Search for Information (Find Filters)

Would it be possible to include the number of records found?  When I write a search filter, I have no idea if there are 5 records found, or 500 records found.  

Per Renee's post in another thread, it would be advisable to post these as separate wishes to the Wish List forum.

#52 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Closed this thread due to length and variety of subjects added.

Renee
RootsMagic