51 replies to this topic

#1 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

There are a number of things I really like about RM.  In fact, we chose RM over Legacy because of the direct TMG import. Migrating from TMG still does present some problems, and some inconveniences.  The SQLite change TMG_ID to Record Number worked miracles, but I'm greedy.  

Is there any chance that any of these changes could be added?
Things we'd like to see in RM (that were in TMG):
1. Choose how name is displayed with Prefix LAST (Title in TMG)
   We'd prefer:  Index, Find=surname, given name, prefix
                    Family View=given name, surname, prefix or surname, given name, prefix
   We have much more than Dr. or Lt. in the prefix field.  
   We have thousands of people who have multiple, lengthy titles like: 
      William Danvers, Sir; Judge of the Common Pleas 
      Robert de Beaumont, Chief Steward, Governor of Normandy 
      Roger de Clifford, 5th Baron de Clifford, Westmoreland; Lord Clifford 
   that are now displayed
   (Family page)
      Sir; Judge of the Common Pleas William Danvers
      Chief Steward, Governor of Normandy Robert de Beaumont
      5th Baron de Clifford, Westmoreland; Lord Clifford Roger de Clifford
   (Index)
      Danvers, Sir; Judge of the Common Pleas William
      de Beaumont, Chief Steward, Governor of Normandy Robert
      de Clifford, 5th Baron de Clifford, Westmoreland; Lord Clifford Roger
   Sometimes the name gets truncated.  If the whole name is displayed, we have to scan the whole name field to find the            name, because the title gets mixed in with the given- and sur-names.  It would be better if the title or RMprefix was                displayed last in all cases.
   I realize now that part of the problem is the difference between the TMG Title field and the RM Name Prefix and RM Title         (Nobility) fields.  The TMG to RM Direct Import did not move or copy the TMG Title into the RM Title (Nobility) field.  We         must have the Title displayed in the Find/Search/Name fields because the title is often vital when choosing a name                 from the Find or Search, and must be treated as part of the name. 

2. When adding people there should be a way to add the Source & Source Quality for each fact/event (b d bu).  Otherwise, you have to go back in to add the source for each event (b d bu).

3. Record # icon for toolbar - We'd like to be able to add a Record # button on the toolbar like the Record # button on the Search/Find page.

4a. Place List 
   TMG Master Place list has a button that gives a list of the events using that place name (person's name, record #, event,      date, place). It would be nice to be able to search the Place List for a portion of the place name other than the initial place. 
4b. Place Names
   TMG handles each part of a place name in a separate field, so that a place name can have 7 or more fields: Address,            Detail, City, County, State, Country, Parish (Phone field).  I could put my cursor in each field, press F2 and get a                    searchable list of existing placenames.  This becomes necessary because many of my county, state, country fields are          complicated because I often have to put the county (city, state, country) name as it was (and is), etc.  With TMG I could          create a new city by using an existing county, state, etc.  With RM, I'd have to start from scratch with every new city in 
   every new county.  In RM I can't even search the Place List to find another city in that same county.

5. Relationship
choose where the relationship is displayed, & choose font size. We raised the font size everywhere we could, but it has no effect on Relationship. Also, sometimes the relationship is shown as a numeral (20th), sometimes ordinal (nineteenth), for example: Nineteenth great-grandfather, but 20th great-grandfather
   (Legacy displays it between the father and mother's parents.)

6. Organize Bookmarks
   Would have been nice if Bookmarks were imported from TMG to RM, but I can transfer them by hand (almost 100 names).
   TMG allowed bookmarks to be moved up and down the list.  I had my TMG bookmarks arranged in the order I needed to      do them, and often in groups, but never alphabetical order.  I'd also love to be able to put bookmarks in folders, or under        headings or groupings, so it's more obvious which names belong to a group. Bookmarks in alphabetical order are useless      to us.
7. Presurname Field - de, d', van, van der, von, ap, verch
   Names like:
        de Beaumont, Chief Steward, Governor of Normandy Robert
        de Clifford, 5th Baron de Clifford, Westmoreland; Lord Clifford Roger
    are better handled with a separate Presurname field for the de, etc. because later generations drop the de.  With the             separate Presurname field the Beaumonts would be listed just above the de Beaumonts, so both sections can be easily         checked for already existing Beaumonts.  I thought I could get around this problem with Search For Information                       (Find>Find).  I asked for 'Surname Beaumont and/or Surname de Beaumont' but got no result.  Find Everywhere gives
    me a list with a lot more than just Beaumonts & de Beaumonts. Otherwise, it may have been better to append the                   Presurname onto the end of the Given Name, but I wasn't given a choice when I imported.  This would be an ugly way to       fix the problem.

Many shortcuts in TMG, not in RM:
8. F3 (repeats last entry in that field, pressing F3 again cycles through the last 15 entries in that field).  I know about Memorize, but that's only for one source.  I often need to juggle multiple sources at once.  I use F3 in many fields, such as Name, dates, and Media.

9. Source list of last 15 used:
   TMG had two buttons on the Source entry screen: 
     1. repeats last entry, 2. selectable list of last 15 entries
   We used both constantly.  You never had to ask it to Memorize. Each source was automatically remembered and available    at the press of a button.

10. Add a new person via Copy Person.  (Often not useful when the person is added from FamilySearch or parish/government bmdb records.  Is very useful when using other kinds of sources like a book, or FMG.)

11. Add Source Citation to Search-and-Replace so Source Citation can be repaired on multiple entries. I used TMG Utility for this, but it saved my neck on numerous occasions. 

Other comments:
12. We're unhappy about losing all my source sureties/quality.  Could Search & Replace be expanded to include Source Quality fields?  It's going to take me years to repair source qualities.  Many are medieval people, beyond parish/government bmdb records.  RM's definition of Primary and the definition I chose for my highest TMG Surety (3) are not the same.  I don't have a lot of Primary records in any of my 4 files.  RM source quality doesn't allow for indicating the reliability of the source. My favorite medieval source, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Medieval Lands Project has a lengthy bibliography and I personally know the author of the project.  Charles Cawley is very stringent in his work.  RM source quality asks if the source gives the information you expected, but that doesn't say anything about the actual reliability of the source.  
An alternative may be to allow a default Source Quality to be added to
   Lists > Source List > Master Source List > Select Source > Edit Source > Add a Quality
tab here that sets a default Quality for each source.

13. We still prefer the way the individual is displayed in TMG with all facts/events & children shown on the Family screen.

Sorry to be so long-winded.  We know we're greedy, but we think these improvements would greatly improve RootsMagic, helping it toward that #1 spot on the comparison charts.  
Kim & Kelly D

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

3. Record # icon for toolbar - We'd like to be able to add a Record # button on the toolbar like the Record # button on the Search/Find page.

I don't think I or anybody else have posted this one to RM's Wishlist before. But as a longtime RM user, I have frequently wished informally for this one. Putting this one in certainly wouldn't make RM look "too much like TMG"!

Jerry

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

2. When adding people there should be a way to add the Source & Source Quality for each fact/event (b d bu).  Otherwise, you have to go back in to add the source for each event (b d bu).

This is an interesting and perhaps somewhat tricky wish. As a longtime RM user, I have often wished for something approximately like this, but not exactly.

Before proceeding further, it probably ought to be pointed out that RM's GEDCOM import has an option that supports doing this for all GEDCOM imported from a given file. A particular source (but not a source quality) can be added to every person, every event/fact, or both during GEDCOM import. To me the trouble with this feature of GEDCOM import and also with doing the same thing when manually typing in information is that often I want the citations more targeted. I want a particular source to be cited for some of the events/facts but not for others. Also, the quality can vary from one event/fact to another event/fact, for example, with a death certificate being a better quality source for a death event than for a birth event.

What I think I would be happier with (and I could be wrong!) would be a slightly flatter user interface such that when an event is highlighed, its list of citations would be visible and such that a new citation could be entered for the highlighted event (or possibly pasted, in this case) without having to drill down to another level of RM screens. Namely, right now you have to drill down from the Edit Person screen to the Citation Manager screen before you can enter or paste a new citation (or even see the current list of citations). I think I would be much happier if I could add citations directly from the Edit Person screen. I certainly would be happier if I could see the list of citatons for a particular event/fact from the Edit/Person screen when the event/fact is highlighed.

Jerry

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

1. RootsMagic does not have a Title (Nobility) component as part of a name. It does have a program defined fact, Title (Nobility), but that fact does not become part of the name.

RM has Prefix, Given, Surname, Suffix and Nickname as components of a name.

Edit the names and move the Prefix into the Suffix box.

For names like Edward IV, King of England,.I put it all in the given name. But, I could put King of England in the Suffix instead with just Edward IX in the Given name.

You don't have to scroll down an index list to find a person. For the Sidebar Index, Groups, RootsMagic Explorer, and the People view, highlight someone on the list and start typing the Surname, Given name. For a person without a Surname, type a comma then the Given name [,Ann].

On other index lists like Place list, Master Source list, Repository list, start typing the Place name, Master Source name, Repository name, etc.

Having said all that, I would also like the Prefix to show after the name on index lists, Surname, Given, Prefix, Suffix, Nickname. Or, , Given, Prefix, Suffix, Nickname where there is no.surname.

2.. Should already be in RM's internal.tracking system for users suggestions for changes to the program.

4. Search for the Place list should already be in RM's tracking system.

11. Source citations could be searched and replaced in previous versions when all sources were Free From before Source Templates were added

12. Source Quality is added for the Source detail and not the Master Source in RM. Edit person, open Source Citation screen, Edit source, choose the Quality button at top of the screen. My Grandmother's Death certificate is accurate for her death, but not for her birth year.

I put any comments I have about the reliability of Master sources in the Master Source Text or Comments. For any commnts I have about the reliability of that source for a certain person and fact, I put that in the Source details, Research note or Comment with an explanation of why I agree or don't agree with what the source says about that specific person.

Check boxes are often not enough as they don't allow for explanations.

RM uses the newer definition of Quality not the old "preponderance of the evidence" type.

13. I like the Family view in RM. I don't like the family views in other programs.

Use the Timeline view to see all a person's facts without opening the Edit person screens. Make your choices from the Options for including facts for spouses, children, parents, and siblings. Facts can also be edited from the Timeline view.

Put the Sidebar on Family.

#5 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

RM's GEDCOM import

I used the direct TMG import and I am very grateful that the source citations were transferred over to my RM files.  I just wish the quality had transferred over a bit better.

has an option that supports doing this for all GEDCOM imported from a given file. A particular source (but not a source quality) can be added to every person, every event/fact, or both during GEDCOM import. To me the trouble with this feature of GEDCOM import and also with doing the same thing when manually typing in information is that often I want the citations more targeted. I want a particular source to be cited for some of the events/facts but not for others. Also, the quality can vary from one event/fact to another event/fact, for example, with a death certificate being a better quality source for a death event than for a birth event.

Yes!  I have this problem as well.

What I think I would be happier with (and I could be wrong!) would be a slightly flatter user interface such that when an event is highlighed, its list of citations would be visible and such that a new citation could be entered for the highlighted event (or possibly pasted, in this case) without having to drill down to another level of RM screens. Namely, right now you have to drill down from the Edit Person screen to the Citation Manager screen before you can enter or paste a new citation (or even see the current list of citations). I think I would be much happier if I could add citations directly from the Edit Person screen. I certainly would be happier if I could see the list of citatons for a particular event/fact from the Edit/Person screen when the event/fact is highlighed.

Absolutely.  I agree.  This would help me as well.

Kim D

#6 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

1. RootsMagic does not have a Title (Nobility) component as part of a name. It does have a program defined fact, Title (Nobility), but that fact does not become part of the name.   RM has Prefix, Given, Surname, Suffix and Nickname as components of a name.  

Yes.  I do undersstand how RM works, but I still have problems with it.  RM's Title (Nobility) tag just doesn't work for me.  I have to have the title as part of the name.  The current method of display causes problems.

Edit the names and move the Prefix into the Suffix box.  For names like Edward IV, King of England,.I put it all in the given name. But, I could put King of England in the Suffix instead with just Edward IX in the Given name.

I had already thought about using the Suffix.  I have thousands of names like this.  This isn't really practical.

You don't have to scroll down an index list to find a person. For the Sidebar Index, Groups, RootsMagic Explorer, and the People view, highlight someone on the list and start typing the Surname, Given name. For a person without a Surname, type a comma then the Given name [,Ann].

I do understand how to use the Index, etc.  Having the title/prefix before the given name gets in the way.

On other index lists like Place list, Master Source list, Repository list, start typing the Place name, Master Source name, Repository name, etc.
            Again, I do understand how the Place list works, but it is the way it works that causes the problem.  

Having said all that, I would also like the Prefix to show after the name on index lists, Surname, Given, Prefix, Suffix, Nickname. Or, , Given, Prefix, Suffix, Nickname where there is no.surname.

Yes.  This is what I am saying.

2.. Should already be in RM's internal.tracking system for users suggestions for changes to the program.
4. Search for the Place list should already be in RM's tracking system.
         So these are already in the queue for future updates?  Can someone (Tech Support?) please verify that this is the case?

11. Source citations could be searched and replaced in previous versions when all sources were Free From before Source Templates were added
         I guess they removed Source search and replace because the format changed?  Hopefully the Source Templates change does not make Source search and replace impossible?  Maybe it could be added back in?

12. Source Quality is added for the Source detail and not the Master Source in RM. Edit person, open Source Citation screen, Edit source, choose the Quality button at top of the screen. My Grandmother's Death certificate is accurate for her death, but not for her birth year.
         Yes.  I know where the Source Quality is.  I would prefer a search-and-replace for the Source Quality.  My suggestion that the Source Quality be added to the Master source list is a less desirable solution to the problem.

I put any comments I have about the reliability of Master sources in the Master Source Text or Comments. For any commnts I have about the reliability of that source for a certain person and fact, I put that in the Source details, Research note or Comment with an explanation of why I agree or don't agree with what the source says about that specific person.
         I do the same when I don't agree with what the source says.  I was talking about the general reliability of a source, not a specific event for a specific person.

Check boxes are often not enough as they don't allow for explanations.
         True.
RM uses the newer definition of Quality not the old "preponderance of the evidence" type.
         I guess there are problems with any system of Quality.  

13. I like the Family view in RM. I don't like the family views in other programs.
Use the Timeline view to see all a person's facts without opening the Edit person screens. Make your choices from the Options for including facts for spouses, children, parents, and siblings. Facts can also be edited from the Timeline view.  
Put the Sidebar on Family.

I looked at the Timeline view with Sidebar set to Family.  It's interesting, but not the same thing.  Then you have to go back into Family View to navigate.

Kim D

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Values from a Title - Nobility fact could be transferred to a Name Suffix using a SQLite script.

From the Sidebar-Family, double-click on any person to open the Edit Person screen. When closed, the main View and Sidebar-Family will now be focussed on that person. You do not have to put the main View to Family to navigate but you do have clicks...

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

That's great!  Thanks!  If you need any more info, let me know.

Kim D

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

I looked at the Timeline view with Sidebar set to Family.  It's interesting, but not the same thing.  Then you have to go back into Family View to navigate.

You can navigate from the Sidebar with the Sidebar set to Family and the main view set to Timeline. You don't have to go back to Family View. That's the way I operate the Sidebar about 95% of the time. Indeed, you can be any of the main views - Timeline, Family, Pedigree, Descendant, etc., and the navigation from the Family Sidebar works just fine.

I admit that navigation with the Family Sidebar is overly clicky because you have to click Go after clicking on the person. But it works just fine. I don't know why the Family Sidebar requires the Go button to be clicked and the other Sidebars don't.

Jerry

#11 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

Rather than selecting a name in the Family Sidebar and clicking [Go], you can simply double-click on the name and the Edit Person screen for that person will be opened.

#12 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:50 PM

Values from a Title - Nobility fact could be transferred to a Name Suffix using a SQLite script.

My titles are in Name Prefix, not Title-Nobility.  In TMG the field name was Title.  When I imported the Title field was imported to Prefix.  That was exactly what I needed.  I have to have the title as part of the name.  Changing the title from Prefix to Suffix fixes the problem, but I can't do a search and replace to move the title.  If the display order can't be changed perhaps a utility could be written to move Prefix to Suffix?

Kim D

#13 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

RE: 1. Choose order of name fields, with Prefix shown last

Could also be solved by a utility that moves the title in Prefix to Suffix. 

Kim D

#14 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

You can navigate from the Sidebar with the Sidebar set to Family and the main view set to Timeline. You don't have to go back to Family View. That's the way I operate the Sidebar about 95% of the time. Indeed, you can be any of the main views - Timeline, Family, Pedigree, Descendant, etc., and the navigation from the Family Sidebar works just fine.

I understand what you are saying.  Things that are still missing:

• children's spouses
  • listing of and navigation to the father and mother's parents

​Marriage dates and places are given, but not the name of the spouse.  And you can't navigate to the children's spouse.  I find it irritating to have to close the Edit Person window when navigating to siblings,etc.   I'll admit, the information provided is closer to the TMG screens.  I had mine set up to display the Individual, Children & Siblings.  I don't know if RM could be changed to allow a similar display.  Again, Timeline with Sidebar: Family comes the closest, but not quite.

Kim D

#15 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Rather than selecting a name in the Family Sidebar and clicking [Go], you can simply double-click on the name and the Edit Person screen for that person will be opened.

True, but I frequently just need to verify or identify someone, not necessarily edit them.

Kim D

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

perhaps a utility could be written to move Prefix to Suffix?

Sure. It's pretty trivial as long as Prefix and Suffix have not been used for other purposes. Is that your case?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Sure. It's pretty trivial as long as Prefix and Suffix have not been used for other purposes. Is that your case?

Oopps.  No.  I have some actual Suffixes - Sr., Jr., etc.  I'm guessing the move would write over the existing Suffixes?  Almost all the people who have suffixes don't have prefix/titles.  When there isn't a prefix would it still overwrite suffix field (erase existing suffix titles)?

Kim D

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

The query can be made so that it only moves a Prefix into an empty Suffix. Are there Prefixes that should not be moved?

Btw, the font and color you use on this forum is an almost illegible script on my iPad. On my laptop, Google Chrome does not render it as a script but the color remains difficult. Please use the defaults and the Quote function to distinguish your reply from the quote. Thanks,

#19 Ksquared

Ksquared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

The query can be made so that it only moves a Prefix into an empty Suffix. Are there Prefixes that should not be moved?

Btw, the font and color you use on this forum is an almost illegible script on my iPad. On my laptop, Google Chrome does not render it as a script but the color remains difficult. Please use the defaults and the Quote function to distinguish your reply from the quote. Thanks,

Sorry.  I'm using Google Chrome, & it very readable.  There are a few that are Capt., Lt., Dr., etc. but moving them to suffix works better than the way Prefix works now in Index, etc.  I wonder if other people are having trouble reading this?

Kim D

#20 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

Kim, your SQLite query is at Names - Move Prefix to empty Suffix.