4 replies to this topic

#1 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

first of all, I would like to say that I do not want RM to become a clone of TMG or any other program. And I do not want to "break" what RM users are doing today.

But after some not very extensive testing of RM I have defined a non-exhaustive wishlist of lacking features in RM that I use a lot every day in TMG. This keeps me from migrating to RM today. (I cannot guarantee that I won't find yet other obstacles once some have been removed and I make further testings.)

I think from adding these features to RM also other RM users could benefit from them (nobody would be forced to change his method of working or to use the new features) and probably they will like it once they have tried.

Here is my list:

- Flags

Problem:

Flags in TMG are added automatically to each person, with a default value. Every person in the project has the same flags, if a new flag is created, it is added to all existing persons, if a flag is deleted, it is removed from every person. The flags may be shown when a person is selected.

Request:

Introduce flags. They cannot be replaced by RM custom facts as these are not the same for very person (not handled automatically)

- Dynamic Accenting / Coloring

Problem:

RM has only a predefined limited set of foreground colors, coloring is based on static groups.

Request:

Allow coloring to select foreground and background colors from a palette. Allow coloring to be based also on Flags (dynamic).

- Alternate Names in facts and sentences

Problem:

RM allows only the usage of the primary name in sentences and facts. This does not match the documents or sources.

Example:

The godmother in a church register is reffered by (one of) her married name(s), not by her maiden name. This cannot be represented in RM. The same applies to marriages of a widow (the document refers to her married name of the previous marriage) or death records.

Request:

Allow alternate names in facts and sentences.

- Roles for Principals

Problem:

RM does not allow roles for principals. Therefor it is not possible to assign roles for „equal“ partners in a fact.

Example:

In a sales contract or similar two persons are involved, the vendor and the buyer. None of them has priority to the other.

Request:

Allow roles also for principals.

- Birth facts

Problem:

RM has no way to specifiy an illegitimate birth or stillborn children. If you use a customised fact like BirthIlleg, it is not recognised as a birth, and no infprmation based on the birth date are shown or computed.

Request:

introduce different types of birth, like „standard“, illegitimate, stillborn

- Search person

Problem:

TMG has the possibility to show in its search window also information on the parents and a spouse of each person. This eases very much selecting a specific person out of many with equal name.

Request:

add parents and spouses information to search person

- Reports

Problem:

TMG allows reports to be based also on filters that are interpreted dynamically when a report is launched without the need to create groups or select the persons manually.

Reports may be used to change the value of flags (secondary output).

Request:

Introduce a facility to specify filters / selections to be used by reports or other. Introduce a possibility to change/create flags/facts for persons specified by filters etc.

- Ease of Use

Request:

- in case of a marriage, the married name of the bride should be created automatically (maybe by setting)

- allow drag & drop for media/exhibits in sources and facts. This avoids having to go down all trees and select a spewcific file.

- TMG direct import

Problem:

Married names are imported only as Alternate Name without the indication of a „married“ name. The same applies to baptismal names.

Request:

import them properly, setting also the name type.

Regards

Helmut

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

- allow drag & drop for media/exhibits in sources and facts. This avoids having to go down all trees and select a spewcific file.

This was added in RM7

- Search person

Problem:
TMG has the possibility to show in its search window also information on the parents and a spouse of each person. This eases very much selecting a specific person out of many with equal name.
Request:
add parents and spouses information to search person

Have you tried the RootsMagic Explorer? (Search>Person List)  You can also use the People view with the family tab in the sidebar displayed to see the family members. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 altenbernd

altenbernd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

Many of these items are important to me too.  I hope we will see the inclusion in a not to distant future upgrade.  Alternate names and Roles for principals are two big ones that have kept me from migrating now.

Flags

Alternate Names in Facts and Sentences -- This is a big one

Roles for Principals -- This is a big one

Birth facts for Illegitimate -- I don't have many of these, but I'd like them to be treated as birth facts.

Auto creation of married names (flagged as married names instead of alternate names)

I'd also like to add the inclusion of multiple memo fields for inclusion in sentence templates.  

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

Alternate Names in Facts and Sentences -- This is a big one

Customize the sentence for any name you wish to use.  

Roles for Principals -- This is a big one

There is already a role for Principle.  Lists, Fact type list, Edit fact, highlight Principle.  Try to delete it.  RM will not let you.  It is assigned to every person in the database.  It is the role used when adding any facts to a person.  Use [Person] in sentences.

Birth facts for Illegitimate -- I don't have many of these, but I'd like them to be treated as birth facts.

Every child is born regardless of whether their parents were married.  I really can't see the point of having a separate Birth fact for an illegitimate child.  I have maybe 5 children that I know were illegitimate. The rest, I probably juat don't have their parent's marriage record.

Enable the Description field for the Birth fact.  Enter illegitimate in that field.  Customize the sentence to include the [Desc] field.

Auto creation of married names (flagged as married names instead of alternate names)

Only if is it is an option.  I don't want RM to automatically flag or add any fact to my database unless I agree to it.

I'd also like to add the inclusion of multiple memo fields for inclusion in sentence templates.

A couple of Description fields would sometimes be useful.

#5 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

The flags and accenting (color coding) are huge issues with me as well and I would like to see them as future enhancements.

The ability to tag an event with an alternate name is quite useful, but isn't as big an issue. It does eliminate the need to customize the sentence.

I have encountered a problem with the direct import as well. Evidently TMG has an internal ID (that is never seen only used internally) and an external ID for each person. The direct import uses the internal ID whereas GEDCOM export/import uses the external ID. This external ID is what gets used when a tree is uploaded to RootsWeb and numerous persons will have PostEms tied to them using that ID. I feel the direct import should either use the external ID or have it as an option.

Thanks,

Larry