7 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Using RM5 (5.0.4.1), have not upgraded to RM6 as the improvements to the programs seemed to be geared towards uploading & maintaining a website, that is not of interest to me at this point in time.

Whenever I open RM, RM news & updates window appears (I expect this to occur) but when I try & click on a topic nothing happens. I have not tried to do this in quite a while (was not an issue in the past) but there was an item or two that recently appeared that I wanted to checkout but when I clicked on the topic,... nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to correct issue, if so, how did you correct issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Check that you do not have a program like your firewall or anti-virus program that is blocking RootsMagic's access to the internet. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have checked, that does not SEEM to be the issue. I will have someone else with more computer knowledge than I check it out as well.

Could there be any other possible issue?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

If you go to WebSearch and try to do a search you will probably see that's not working either. That's because RootsMagic is blocked from accessing the internet. The hard part is figuring out which program is blocking it, so you can give it permission to allow RootsMagic internet access. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

I do not see a "websearch" item but I am assuming you just mean accessing the internet through the program. You are correct if I click on "Internet", not one of the topics underneath will work BUT I CAN access "FamilySearch", "Gazetteer" & "Mapping" which all require access through the firewall & security software to the internet.

I would think if I could not access the Rootsmagic  website (or news & updates) through the program, I  should be able to use the above function either. Opinions? Suggestions?

Do I possibly need to re-install the program using the CD?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Are you using an Apple computer? If not, what Windows operating system?
What is your default Internet browser? Which one opens when you click on the link to this message in your email? Reinstalling can't hurt. Best to download the latest update for RM5.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

1) Using Macbook Pro with Bootcamp & running windows. 

2) Default internet browser is chrome

3) Chrome

4) ok

5) I checked, I have the latest RM5 update

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'm not clued into the intricacies of running Windows applications in the Mac world but I surmise that there is some issue with RootsMagic finding Chrome in Windows, assuming that Chrome is set in Windows as its default Internet Browser. Does Bootcamp support the Windows Registry? That is where RootsMagic looks for the path to the default browser. Is that a Windows email client that opens hyperlinks in the Chrome for Windows browser?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.