• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

I'm a new RM user (but old hand at genealogy and computers) and love using mapping in my family history work.  I put birth place, all the places I've lived for more than a couple of months, and several other items in my Facts edit screen (e.g. military, marriage, education); a total of 14 entries.  When I clicked Tools/Mapping and selected myself as the person, it used only 3 of these:  my marriage, my military, and my last Living entry.  This seems a bit arbitrary.

In case it matters, I am using the Chrome browser on a Windows 7 machine. (Maybe Microsoft's Bing doesn't like Google's Chrome?)

(Sorry - probably should have put this in Discussion board)

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

I don't use mapping with my RM database, but the first though that comes to mind is to check whether your Place List is fully geocoded...

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

When I first opened mapping, chose my father, and watched mapping open ...all I saw was one pushpin. Then, I zoomed in and again, etc. and the single pushpin became multiple pushpins and then even more pushpins appeared.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 NickGC

NickGC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

Geocoding was the partial cure for what ails me - thank you zhangrou; I think my other problem - to be worked on tomorrow when I'm awake - is that I used Living instead of Residence and only used each starting date instead of a date range.  E.g. Living Jun 1972 San Diego, should probably be changed to Residence Jun 1972 - Feb 1973 San Diego.