• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwhowell2

cwhowell2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

I would like to attach a document which was scanned as a JPG to an individual who does not have a profile picture.  RM6 seems to grab the first media image to use as an avatar.  Is there a way to override this?  Thanks - Bill

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1449 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Yes, there is.

1. Open the Edit Person window

2. Select the [Media] button

3. Select the desired avatar image

4. In the right-hand pane, select the [Edit tag] button

5. Near the bottom of the Tag this image dialog box, place a checkmark for Primary photo for this person

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I might be reading this slightly differently where cwhowell2 does not want the document to appear as the avatar being the only individual image available, please correct me if I am wrong. Personally I would attach documentary evidence either to a fact/event or a source depending on what the document was. For example if it was a copy of a Will then attach to the Will event. If an appropriate event was not readily available then I would use the MISC event and enter the description in the description field and the date of the document (if exists) in the date field. This would place the document correctly in the persons timeline with the description stating what the document referred to.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

You certainly could use Media type -> File, instead of Media type -> Image, when you add the scanned document to the gallery or attach it to an individual's Person, Spouse or Parents row in the Edit Person screen.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 cwhowell2

cwhowell2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Sorry for the long delay.  I still don't seem to be able to get it to work.  When I attach the military record (jpg), as a document, RM7 seems to automatically reclassify it as a photo and uses it as the record avatar.  The only thing I can think of, is to create a blank jpg and load that up as the person photo.  Seems kind of clumbsy.  Maybe it should be addressed in a future RM upgrade?  Thanks - Bill

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

I think you are missing a step. When in the Media Album for the person

Add new media > Select from the Media Type dropdown list "File" > Media Location: Disk > select any kind of file including JPG. No thumbnail (avatar) is generated from the file, just the Windows default program icon is displayed. Double click on the icon and the Windows default program opens the file.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.