6 replies to this topic

#1 jonjmorin

jonjmorin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hello all.

I have watched the webinar on sources and citations, and I'm still a little foggy on one thing. I have sources that I use a lot and would like to reuse for a number of facts. I want to do this correctly, as I'm studying to become certified and I want to be in the habit of doing things tip-top. It's worth noting that I'm a RootsMagic newbie, having come over from other genealogy software.

For example, take the 1940 US Census. Say that I have a family in Somerville Plantation, Lincoln Co., Maine. My source is a census image downloaded from Ancestry. So I use the Census, U.S. Federal (online images) template to create a source for this.

In the Master Source section, in the box labeled Jurisdiction, can I put simply "United States" or "U.S.", then reuse that source for every family I find on the 1940 census, changing only the source details? Or would it be more correct to put "Somerville Plantation, Lincoln Co., Maine, United States" in the Jurisdiction box and have to create a new source from that template every time I find a family on that census year? Since I probably will not have another family in Somerville, it seems like a lot of duplicated effort.

If I leave that box blank, RM (correctly) generates a citation with an empty field separated with commas, which hardly seems right as far as proper citation standards go. I'm not a wizard with Evidence Explained yet, so I'm not sure which choice is the most correct standards-wise. I'm sure this issue extends to other types of sources that I would like to reuse and would like to be correct.

If I have not been completely clear, I apologize. I searched the forums and can't find a thread that really answers my question.

Thank you all so much,

Jon

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

FYI: In the Tips and Hints/Help section for RM 5  http://forums.rootsm...er-census-year/ is my take on how the census records can be done via a census year.  I have also set up my Journal data entries as one source for one specific journal. I have several that are just family journals, one source with all the data from it works for me.   You need more, I have a .pdf that I can share... send me an email.  I also worked on certification, a very hard choice on my part, and EE is not all the way to go as others on this forum will say.  Go to EE website and look how items are done.  Our Source templates were written from EE 2007 book and was a tough job to do when it was created.  He did a good job with what he had to work with.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:06 PM

There are two separate issues here. One issue is how you want your footnote/endnote sentences to look in reports (and also your bibliography sentences, if you ask RM to create a bibliography). The other issue is how much of the information goes into what RM calls the Master Source and how much of the information goes into what RM calls the Source Details. And in truth, the various RM screens are not 100% consistent in what it calls these things. I'm using the terminology that appears in the yellow part of the Edit Source screen (top of the screen - Master Source) and the green part of the screen (bottom of the screen - Source Details) when you get into the Edit Source screen for a particular individual or family or event.

There is a wide variety of difference between very expert RM users in how much of the data they put in the Master Source part of the Edit Source screen and how much of the data they put inthe Source Details part of the Edit Source Screen. You will just have to decide for yourself which way you want to do it. No one way is right for everybody. If you choose to use the built-in source templates instead of using the Free Form source template or instead of developing your own source templates, these decisions will largely be made for you. Just put the information in the places indicated in the source template.

Jerry

#4 jonjmorin

jonjmorin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thank you both for your help. I did check the Evidence Explained site, and Elizabeth Shown Mills does have a list of sample quick checks up, but neither seems to answer my question, since one is for census (US) 1850-1870, and one is for census database (online), which looks like it's a compiled secondary source, not the digital images. I'm sure that there is an answer in her book, which I'm waiting for in the mail, so I should have my answer soon.

Thanks again,

Jon

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Jon, your original question has nothing to do with certification or Evidence Explained which have everything to do with the content and style of citation footnotes and bibliographies. Your questions have to do with source management and control of punctuation and, maybe, there is an implicit factor: your choice of outputs.

Source management issues include lumping vs splitting (you touched on that) and systematic naming of sources. To split/lump differently than what the built in source templates set inherently, you have to use custom source templates or free form.

Control of punctuation: avoid using built in source templates which you cannot edit.

Choice of outputs: if GEDCOM is important, use free form, NOT source templates UNLESS they are extremely split. If, instead, you will use only RootsMagic reports and web pages, then DO use source templates. See http://sqlitetoolsfo...treme Splitting

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thank you both for your help. I did check the Evidence Explained site, and Elizabeth Shown Mills does have a list of sample quick checks up, but neither seems to answer my question, since one is for census (US) 1850-1870, and one is for census database (online), which looks like it's a compiled secondary source, not the digital images. I'm sure that there is an answer in her book, which I'm waiting for in the mail, so I should have my answer soon.

Thanks again,
Jon

There are many source templates in RM that you can use to document the sources for digital images either based on what the source was or the type of source.

You cwn also enter (Digital image) into a box where appropriate for any Master source or Source detail.

#7 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

I also choose to have one source per census year. I had actually created these and converted all my citations over in another program, prior to using RM6.  In the move to RM, they came over as Free Form sources. In the Source List, I added an * at the start of each census source so they sort at the beginning of the list.

Whenever I use a census source, I choose it, then add the details (usually I just copy these rom Ancestry) in the Source Details field.

The result looks like this:

1930 U.S. census, Ancestry.com, Digital images (National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), T626, Decoto, Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 346, p. 248, dwelling 384, family 396, Henry Andrade household.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10