5 replies to this topic

#1 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

My friend has some old zip files on a thumb drive, probably made from Windows PAF.     She lost all the data on her computer, and these zip files have the data that is no longer on her computer. 

I know this isn't exactly a RM question, but she will be using RM if we can ever recover her data.  

Any suggestions on what to do with these zip files?

Peggy

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

Use a zip program and unzip the file.

If the unzipped file is a PAF database file or gedcom file, create a new database in RootsMagic.

Go to File, Import and import the file.

Check PAF if the file is a PAF database or Gedcom if the file is a gedcom.

#3 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks, Laura.

I discovered that when you made a backup from the old PAF, the backups were zip files!!!   I opened my old PAF, restored from the zip files, then exported as a gedcom.   Job done!!!    Thanks much.

= )

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Backups made in RM also zips the database file and restoring the file in RM unzips it.

#5 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, Laura.

I discovered that when you made a backup from the old PAF, the backups were zip files!!!   I opened my old PAF, restored from the zip files, then exported as a gedcom.   Job done!!!    Thanks much.

= )

I believe RootsMagic solved the issue of importing old PAF versions directly, so you would not necessarily need to create a GEDCOM export.

#6 protomik

protomik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:12 AM

I have the same problem with OP and I managed to recover the data with a quite nice data recovery program.