• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaddyOBest

DaddyOBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:19 PM

It would be a great advance to easily go backwards to the pages last viewed and forward again when needed via the mouses' forward and backward internet buttons. Many times in the program you want to see the previous views you were at (fast, easy, without hand movement). 

Help Me

Richard

#2 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

The History index helps you go back to individuals viewed previously

#3 DaddyOBest

DaddyOBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:26 AM

Thats a slow process taking a while to go to the index by moving the mouse, where touching the backward and forward buttons on the mouse is instantaneous without having to look up anything..

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Ok, I will show my ignorance here, but where is the mouse button to move forward and backwards? I know the scroll wheel does that in browsers and programs and RootsMagic already will use that. I can't see how that would act in any way as the history backwards and forwards and your request sounds like that is what you want.

If it's just the index you are needing to look things up we do support predictive typing. Just click on a person and start typing the name of the person you want and it will go to them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Ok, I will show my ignorance here, but where is the mouse button to move forward and backwards?

I suspect the user has a more specialized mouse than the average user and is requesting consideration of adding this feature for them.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Ok, I will show my ignorance here, but where is the mouse button to move forward and backwards? I know the scroll wheel does that in browsers and programs and RootsMagic already will use that. I can't see how that would act in any way as the history backwards and forwards and your request sounds like that is what you want.

If it's just the index you are needing to look things up we do support predictive typing. Just click on a person and start typing the name of the person you want and it will go to them.

Renee I think he is talking about having an arrow head on the left pointing left, and on the right pointing right, of the screen that can be clicked on to go backwards and forwards. This would be a headache for the RM Magician I feel and he should stick to the history record or type the person into the index as suggested,  

#7 DaddyOBest

DaddyOBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

The forward and backward buttons are on most middle range mice. This is a fast way to go thru internet pages and likewise would be very fast going thru Roots Magic. This would make the program much faster to navigate and align it to internet movement use.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6264 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

However, the trend is toward fewer buttons with increased use of gestures and touch. And then there is the old technology of accelerator and hot keys, trying to stay off the mouse as much as possible because this is a keyboard-centric program, of necessity. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

I used to use some specialized mice, and they were programmable by the user. The Forward and Back capability can be added to the menu bar -> right-click on the menu - Customize - Commands tab - Search (in the left pane) - finally, drag & drop the Forward and Back buttons onto the toolbar.

Now program that specialized mouse to recognize those toolbar buttons.