8 replies to this topic

#1 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

in TMG, for every event the place contains the field "Temple". I am using it with a different label ("Pfarre") to store the name of the parish where the place belongs to / which parish had the register in case of births, marriages, deaths, .... This information is lost during import.

Regards

Helmut

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Sorry I'm not following what is happening. Is this an issue with the place name itself not importing?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

The place itself is imported. What disappears is the Temple field (in my example labelled "Pfarre").

Example of form for entering death event:

https://www.dropbox....hPlace.jpg?dl=0

Example for edit place:

https://www.dropbox....ceEdit.jpg?dl=0

Note:

if exporting to GEDCOM from TMG you may choose to export it together with the place or not.

From TMG help:

The place where an event occurred is recorded in separate fields in order to facilitate searching. For your convenience, five unlimited fields are referred to by the divisions commonly used: Detail, City/Town, County, State, and Country. These fields can be used for any geographical or political place name divisions. Limited fields for Latitude/Longitude and Temple are also provided. Addressee, Postal, and Phone fields are also provided for your use when desired.

There are ten place fields with the following default labels:

Label 1:Addressee

Label 2:Detail

Label 3:City

Label 4:County

Label 5:State

Label 6:Country

Label 7:Postal

Label 8:Phone

Label 9:LatLong

Label 10: Temple

Regards

Helmut

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

"Temple" was apparently the default use of this field for the entry of a LDS Temple. RootsMagic uses separate, built-in, uncustomizable Place Records for LDS Temples. They are a type of Place. The RM PlaceTable really has no column to accommodate "Parish" or other custom use of the TMG Temple field, just as it has none for Addressee, Postal and Phone. Notably it also does not have columns for Detail (that is another Place Type with all the same columns as Place), nor for City, County, State, Country, all of which are concatenated in comma-delimited fields for Name, Short Name and Standard Name. So there really is no place for your custom "Parish" field to go, save maybe putting all these exceptions into the Place Note or the Place Detail Note. Unfortunately, these are currently unavailable to sentence templates and standard reports.

I wonder what happens with a GEDCOM export of such an event. To what GEDCOM tag does your "parish" value go? If standard GEDCOM supports it, that might give a clue as to what might be done with it via direct import.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

It is just appended to the endf of the place information (with a comma as separator between the fields).

It may be specified to have comma separators also for empty fields.

1 DEAT
2 DATE 12 MAY 1811
2 PLAC Nr. 14, Neustift am Wald, Wien, Österreich, Neustift am Wald
2 NOTE an Brustwassersucht | richtige Person ?
2 SOUR @S11109@

In sentences it may be used by the variable [L10] or [TEMPLE].

Regards

Helmut

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

So the "Neustift am Wald" after "Österreich," is the parish? If imported that way into RootsMagic, then it would be the highest level, above Country which means you would not see this Place under Österreich in the Index of Places. However, you could find and edit such Places to the form that you can live with, just as you might choose to move "Nr. 14, Neustift am Wald", a street address I'm guessing, to a Place Detail under "Wien, Österreich". I must confess that I don't know what the best location for the parish might be - perhaps the master Place for Place Detail "Nr. 14, Neustift am Wald" could be "Pfarre Neustift am Wald, Wien, Österreich".

My own usage has been to identify the Parish where the source is from in the Source, not in the event place.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

Tom,

you are right. Looking at the structures of RM (I am just a beginner and trying/evaluating) I don't see a good place where to put it. note also that there are several places (villages) belonging to one parish.

If I have a source for the event, then I put the parish information  into the source, too. But I don't have sources for all. Maybe it is a misuse of the temple field, but I do not need temple information (no LDS) and it is very practical to see it on screen without having to open other windows/forms. And I do not export it to GEDCOM.

Regards

Helmut

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

... note also that there are several places (villages) belonging to one parish.

Why not use County for Parish?

#9 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:58 AM

Why not use County for Parish?

1) because there is a political unit named Kreis (Germany) or Bezirk (Austria) that is more like a county.

Today's structure in Germany / Austria:

street, village/city, Kreis/Bezirk, federal country, state

2) parishes for trhe same place differ during time (e.g. in Austria 1784 a lot of new parishes were establuished)

Regards

Helmut