9 replies to this topic

#1 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

my data are imported directly from TMG. I tried to customize the People View to show Father and Mother of a person. Whatever type of Father or Mother (Father-Bio, Father-Ado ...) I specify, the parents are not displayed in the grid. What's wrong ?

Regards

Helmut

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

While the direct import sees, imports and converts tag types from the Relationship Group to RootsMagic Fact Types of the same name, RootsMagic has no equivalent, automatic fact types. When you customize, the Father-Bio fact type is shown in the drop-down list of defined fact types but it has not been added to or is present in any person. That is why it is empty. If you drag'n'drop everyone in this database to a new empty database, all of these unused, custom fact types will be stripped off and the dropdown list will show only the standard facts and the custom facts that are in use.

This, too, is a deficiency in RootsMagic. While the Edit Person screen allows you to define the relationship between a parent and child, it is not a value that seems to be utilised in any other display or output. An automatic relationship fact type would seem to be the natural and logical representation. 

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

TomH,

I wanted to achieve something similar to the Search View in TMG.

https://www.dropbox....Window.jpg?dl=0

I am using it very much and need the information on the parents (and spouse) to select the right person out of several with the same name.

Dos it mean that this is not possible in RM? That would be another strong reauest on the wishlist.

A little bit off topic here may be the fact that Illegitimate Births (BirthIlleg) do not show a date in nthe Born column everywhere. Another request.

Regards

Helmut

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

People view only uses Individual facts for the person.

Sidebar, Family will give you the Spouses, Children, Parents,and Siblings of the highlighted person in the main view.

Create a Group of the people with the same name:

Given name contains John
And, Surname, equals/contains Smith

This includes people where any part of the Given name is John, and, is why I create a Group.

Use other filters like Any fact, place, contains, [Place] if it would be helpful.

Change the main screen to the People.screen. Customize the People view for the Individual facts which will help the most in determining the right person, Birth date and place, Death date and place, Burial place, etc. Filter the People view by the Group.

Put the Sidebar on Family.

If you have color coded families by lineage line, that helps too.

If you need to see generations of Ancestors further back than the parents, switch back and forth between the People view and Pedigree view.

If you need to see more generations of Descendants, switch between People view and Descendants view. Choose the number of generations on the Descendants view.

To see all the facts for a person, switch between the People view and Timeline view for more data. You can customize the Timeline view to show spouses, children, parents and siblings events.

It could even possibily be useful to filter the People with one Group and have another Group selected on the Sidebar although I haven't experimented with that with finding the right duplicate named person.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

What is Birthlileg? Is it what would be a user defined fact in RM. Or a flag of some kind or an alternate Birth fact in TMG that may be a user defined fact in RM when converting?

Only a date entered into a Birth fact will show up in RM. You can link multiple birth facts and mark one of them Primary and that one will be the Birth date that shows.

#6 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

Laura,

BirthIlleg:

it is created by direct import from TMG if the birth (in TMG) was illegitimate (in German unehlich, mother unmarried). TMG knows 3 kinds of births: "normal" (probably the equivalent to RM fact Birth), illegitimate and stillborn.

In this case (illegitimate birth) the behaviour of RM does not seem to be consistent: it does not give the year in the Born column, but in the Timeline it displays the age beginning with the illeg. birth and in the timeline of the spouse it is displayed as Birth-Spouse.

People view:

thanks for trying to help. But this procedure is far too complecated (and therefore much too slow) when you are browsing / entering many data from church registers "sequentially", e.g. not family by family but in chronological order. In this case (and that is much of what I am currently doing) the surnames are always changing and you cannot create groups etc.

Regards

Helmut

#7 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

Laura,

People View:

working in the people main view and showing Family in the sidebar helps a bit. (Coloring would not help too much in my case because it is static contrary to TMG where Accenting (similar to coloring) is based on FLAGS (not available in RM) and dynamic - new people immediately show up in the correct color).

Regards

Helmut

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

I gave you my procedure for finding the correct same name person even if the person's name is William John Smith or W. John Smith instead of John being the first name as a source gives the name.

Color coding by lineage line would visually show you which lineage line that same name person was a member of.

Color coding can be done for facts and any other criteria available on the Select person screen. There is a limit of 15 colors including Black which is RM's default color.

#9 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks, Laura.

This is more or less what I mainly have done with colors in the example image, Accents by Flags (a user defined Flag defines the lineage). Difference with RM: RM colrs by groups (or selected people), and is static (groups have to be updated manually), TMG ist dynamc (changing the flag immediately changes the colors).

Regards

Helmut

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

On the wish list for eons has been what some have called "dynamic groups" although the consensus has been that the update of group membership should be a manually triggered, not automatic, refresh so that speed of operations is unaffected. I don't recall whether there has been anything similar requested for color coding but the selection process is similar, if not identical, so there is no reason it cannot be likewise "dynamic", I.e., refreshable. There is a fundamental difference from setting colours by flags - they involve processing only one table and can therefore be executed at the fastest possible speed. RootsMagic color-coding and named groups selection can involve many tables and is, therefore, inherently complex and slower to execute which is why auto-refresh is thought to be inappropriate.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.