Photo

Letters and numbers showing after names?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

This is just  a question about "what is it?" rather than a problem .......

I have noticed that on SOME people in my database, there is a series of letters and numbers that appear immediately after the name in the blank area of the upper left of the Edit Person screen. For instance:  Jacob Hinkle (MR J9-NFH)

What is that? Did it come from Legacy when I did my import? The combo is different on each name it appears on, but does not appear on every name. It does not appear on reports so it's more of an annoyance than a real problem and I just wonder what it is?

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

That is the FamilySearch Family Tree ID. Under Tools> File Options > General tab is a setting for what ID you want optionally displayed after the name.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

That is the FamilySearch Family Tree ID. Under Tools> File Options > General tab is a setting for what ID you want optionally displayed after the name.

That sounded good, Tom, but mine is already set to None.

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's still the embedded FamilySearch ID. Tools>File Options>General>"Number to display after name" does have the option to display the FamilySearch ID. If you select None or FamilySearch ID you will see still the FamilySearch ID after the matched person's name on the Edit Person screen. If you change it to Record Number or Reference Number it will show the number and the FamilySearch ID afterwards. You won't see the behavior on the Pedigree, Family, Descendant, etc Views.  Its only when you open the Edit Person screen or the FamilySearch Person Tools that you will see the embedded FamilySearch ID. 

The only way to not show the FamilySearch ID for people in your database matched to someone on Family Tree, is to go to Tools>File Options>FamilySearch>and uncheck "Enable FamilySearch Support". But, then you wouldn't be able to use the FamilySearch Person Tools any more.

It's only if you set Tools>File Options>General>"Number to display after name" to FamilySearch ID that you will see it print out on any reports. It's rather harmless to have the number after a person's name on the Edit Person screen. It's just for your reference. On the Edit Person screen if you click on Options you will see "Put FamilySearch ID on clipboard". It's referencing the number after that person's name on that screen. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thank you, Renee. That explained it well. I wasn't bothered by it.... just curious as to what it was.  :)

Kathy