11 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm a TMG user trying to decide whether to adopt RootsMagic or Legacy as my main program. One of the things I found about Legacy that I very much like is its "Ancerstor Book" report, A very similar report can be made with RootsMagic, but the Legacy report can print all the photos -- for example, event pictures --  pertaining to an individual while the RM6 reports seems to show only the primary picture. Is there a way of getting the rest of the pictures into the RM report that I haven't found? If not, is there a reasonable hack which will permit the insertion of more photos?

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

Robert

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

In RM, you can use Publisher and add Narrative reports and add Scrapbooks for the other image files.

However, there is no choice to include images for every person that is in a particular Narrative report in one Scrapbook. You would need to create a Scrapbook for each person.  You have the choice to include mages linked to the facts for a person in the report.

Save the Publisher report as a rtf or pdf file.

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thank you, Laura. Looks to be a time-consuming process as you describe it.

So far, incidentally, I'm pleased with the RM direct conversion. When I come to do the final move I do not thiink that I'll have to do a great deal of post-conversion editing.

Thanks again and all good wishes.

Robert

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yes, it is a little time consuming, but not as time consuming as it seems written down.  But, I have lot of control on how many images to print on a page with a Scrapbook and full control over whose Scrapbooks I want to print.

Whether images are printed to Scrapbooks is controlled on the Edit tag screen for each tag.

I normally would not want to print more than a person's Primary image in a Narrative report.  I would rather not distract from the text.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

It may not be what you are looking for, but I have long wanted to do something like link a burial fact to a tombstone photo and to have the photo appear along with the burial fact in a narrative report (any kind of narrative report). But such support does not exist. I don't think the things you can do to add narrative reports and scrapbooks with Publisher are quite the same thing.

Jerry

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Dear Jerry,

That's pretty much what the Legacy report I mentioned does automatically and it is what I would like to achieve with Roots Magic. Perhaps an enhancement to the report structure?

Robert

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

Robert, your enquiry is a good one that serves to highlight an important omission from RM (an otherwise very good program I hasten to add). I and others have raised this issue previously – see my post at - http://forums.rootsm...reportswebsite/  and although it was then ‘in the tracking system’, two years down the line the situation is still the same.

You point out that Legacy does allow more than one media item to be included in a report though, from my somewhat limited use of that program, then that does not permit the sort of flexibility that is required and which is surely possible.
Others have indicated the availability of Scrapbook but this is very second-best and itself has big limitations as well as omitting some of the associated fields when printed. As you recognize, producing a report – as an rtf – and then editing-in any further images is not only hugely resource intensive but crucially destroys the validity of any report indexes and also means that you cannot save the revised report for incorporating into ‘Publisher’.

As a health warning holding your breath for an improvement seems like an unwise move….! But it doesn’t seem too difficult a problem – as an interim solution – for narrative reports to have the option to include links to associated media items

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

As you recognize, producing a report – as an rtf – and then editing-in any further images is not only hugely resource intensive but crucially destroys the validity of any report indexes and also means that you cannot save the revised report for incorporating into ‘Publisher’.

Report indexes can be regenerated for an RTF file produced by RM and then edited manually. I do so on a regular basis. The indexes have to be regenerated from within Microsoft Word or other word processing program. Microsoft Word seems to be the word processing program that is most successful in processing RTF files produced by RM.

With respect to Publisher, I have never used it - only played with it. On it's face it appears to be an absolutely wonderful feature. But every time I become inspired to play with it again, I discover anew that it seems extremely limited in what it can do. The biggest limitation is the one you cite - that only RM can put things into a Publisher document and I can't put documents of my own into Publisher. In particular, I can't produce an RTF file with RM, edit the RTF file with Microsoft Word, and then include the edited RTF file in publisher. I may be missing a way to do so. If so, it would be most appreciated if someone could point out how to do it.

On the larger question of including photos in narrative reports produced by RM, my first experience with this problem was with Family Origins which was RM's predecessor. I linked a tombstone photo to a burial fact and naively expected the photo to show up in a narrative report. But of course the photo didn't show up, and such support has not been added in RM1, RM2, RM3, RM4, RM5, or RM6.

The bad experience with the tombstone photo and Family Origins clouded my opinion about this issue so badly, that I concluded that for me personally (and other users are not so negative about it as me), there was no value in linking photos into RM at all. RM can print photos via the scrapbook mechanism, but I can do the same thing better and more easily from outside of RM. For example, I can just embed the photos into a Microsoft Word document. Nevertheless, I'm a heavy user of media inside RM. It's just that all the media I link into RM are documents of various sorts, and I link the documents to sources rather than to people or to events or to places or any such.

Jerry

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

I can't produce an RTF file with RM, edit the RTF file with Microsoft Word, and then include the edited RTF file in publisher.

Jerry

Jerry didn't you mean can.  Because, I also, do not use Publisher, it is too limited from my perspective.  My .rtf files goes into Word and can clean up the white spaces, which are many especially since the last couple of updates, add pictures that I want no matter whether burial or death, etc..  I have used .rtf since the days of Family Origins.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Jerry didn't you mean can.  Because, I also, do not use Publisher, it is too limited from my perspective.  My .rtf files goes into Word and can clean up the white spaces, which are many especially since the last couple of updates, add pictures that I want no matter whether burial or death, etc..  I have used .rtf since the days of Family Origins.  

Well, it depends on which part of my convoluted sentence "can" and "can't" apply to. :)

I can produce an RTF file with RM and I can edit the RTF with Microsoft Word. I can't take the resultant RTF file and use it in Publisher. I wish I could, and I hope I've missed something about the the way Publisher works.

Jerry

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

. I can't take the resultant RTF file and use it in Publisher. I wish I could, and I hope I've missed something about the the way Publisher works.

Well, can't isn't quite the right word. Can (BUT only in an extremely limiting way) is the wording I'd use:

Add -> Other reports -> Special sections -> Blank pages

reserves a spot for however many pages an .RTF might span and obviously multiple page span reservations allow for later insertions of anywhere from one to many .RTF sections

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N