• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

In my RM6 database there are a number of living individuals I have marked "private".  My intent is that these individuals should not show up in any reports or exports.

I recently exported a gedcom in which I selected to privatize living people to "Name Only" and and I unchecked:

"Include private facts"

"Include private notes"

When I imported the gedcom into my web site, unfortunately it still included the individuals I had marked private.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I realize that I can select "Living" for the living individuals, but I do not want that choice universally for my database.

Thanks

Don 

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

You cannot mark an Individual as private.  You can only mark a fact as Private or a note as private using the curly brackets.

The Living flag on the Edit person screen is what determines which people are included in a gedcom when you mark to exclude Living people.

Look at the Living flag for those you think should not have been included in the gedcom when you choose to privatize the gedcom for living people.  The Living flag should be checked for those people you wish to exclude as Living on the gedcom.

If there are also people with the Living flag unchecked that you don't want included in a gedcom, unmark them on the Select from a List, Select people screen.

The choices for private facts and private notes only includes or excludes private facts or notes for the persons included in the gedcom.

There is no way to exclude a person from reports that can't be filtered by Select from a list or a Group.

If you want to exclude a person from reports that cannot be filtered do not include them in a gedcom and import the gedcom into a new database or Drag and Drop into a new database and use Select from list and mark the people to include and unmark the people to exclude.

#3 chignecto

chignecto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Laura:

Thanks for the input.  I am, however, wondering a bit about your assessment of the notion of private.  Since I am new to RM, perhaps I am just not understanding.

If I open and "Edit Person" screen in my database, for an individual who has parents, and while in that screen, I highlight one of the parents, I can then edit the relationship.  For example, in order to record whether or not the child was adopted or a birth child.  On that screen, there is a check box marked "pirvate".  Now, this may well be for the birth event, but presumably if one makes this private, then the individual ought not to show up in the family in reports and gedcoms, regardless of whether they are living or not.  Or am I completely wrong in this regard.  

This certainly would be a case where contextual help could be of assistance.

Don 

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

At the present time, the Private box for Spouses and Parents on a person's Edit person screen does nothing.  I don't know why the Private boxes are there. Perhaps, it is an over sight on Bruce's part.  I hope Bruce takes them off the screen until they perhaps serve some purpose in a future version.

In the present and previous versions of RootsMagic, the only thing that controls which persons excluded in a gedcom when choosing to exclude Living people is whether the Living flag is checked or unchecked on each person's Edit person screen.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

At the present time, the Private box for Spouses and Parents on a person's Edit person screen does nothing.  I don't know why the Private boxes are there. Perhaps, it is an over sight on Bruce's part.  I hope Bruce takes them off the screen until they perhaps serve some purpose in a future version.

In the present and previous versions of RootsMagic, the only thing that controls which persons excluded in a gedcom when choosing to exclude Living people is whether the Living flag is checked or unchecked on each person's Edit person screen.

Confirming issue with private check boxes for spouses and parents being displayed is in our tracking system. 

Confirming enhancement request to mark people private and exclude them from reports is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 koornalla

koornalla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Confirming issue with private check boxes for spouses and parents being displayed is in our tracking system. 

Confirming enhancement request to mark people private and exclude them from reports is in our tracking system. 

Hi Renee,

What is the status of this enhancement request? I am trying to hide the relationship of an adopted child to his natural mother as it is a bit of a sensitive issue to my paternal family. In fact I don't think many (if any) of the family know about this parent/child relationship!!

Wayne Thurley

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Development doesn't realize their schedule so I don't know. I do know everything has been on hold in order to to complete the TreeShare for Ancestry feature.

Renee
RootsMagic