5 replies to this topic

#1 theatre

theatre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

Hi

I have just set up a personal website which I want to use for my family history, so I would like to upload my family tree created in rootsmagic, please can you guide me on how to do this.  Do I have to convert the gedcom file and if so to what.  My website provider is saying that the following file types are acceptable: tar, gz zip, pdf, excel doc etc.  Hope you can help. Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

With RootsMagic 6 you can generate all the webpages using Internet>Publish Online or Internet>Create HTML files.  It just depends on what type of website you wish to create.

The Publish Online website can be hosted on our servers at My.RootsMagic.com . There is a size limitation right now of 50MB. If you want to host them on your own website then you save the files to your computer. Using a FTP program you upload all the files to your website. Your website provider should help you with those details. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 skeeter48

skeeter48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have my own website that runs under WordPress.  I am not a techie.  I do not know HTML, CSS, or PHP but have a highly regarded website.  I know and teach SEO and get lots of google hits considering my subject matter.  I wish to build a growing Roots Magic database on my website.  I want to do lots of web tags many to URL's on my own website.  Is this feature currently supported either directly or through a work around?  Will I need to post via HTML or can I use the visual editor?  Are there any help files for us newbies?  I know nothing about doing this.  Can you recommend a place to start?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5535 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

I doubt you can create a family tree component on a WordPress website. You can create a family tree website on a different host and link to it from your WP site. You can link to many different places in your family tree website wherever it is hosted.

You have many choices:
Use the MyRootsMagic.com website supported by the program and hosted by RootsMagic, Inc. It's free but quite limited in capacity and capability.

Use RootsMagic to generate website files which you upload to a host. No free host, limited capabilities, future uncertain because RM,Inc currently deprecates the features.

Export a GEDCOM from RM and transfer that file to some other system. There are many avenues, ranging from
-free or paid hosts to which you upload the GEDCOM file
to
-other software that generates from the GEDCOM file website files that you upload to a host.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

The Publish Online website can be hosted on our servers at My.RootsMagic.com . There is a size limitation right now of 50MB. If you want to host them on your own website then you save the files to your computer. Using a FTP program you upload all the files to your website. Your website provider should help you with those details. 

I'm confused. It was my understanding that the Publish Online feature created web pages that could only be hosted at MyRootsMagic.com and that if you tried to host them somewhere else that it would not work because there is some required server side code that is only available at MyRootsMatic.com. It is probably my understanding that's wrong, but could you clarify?

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

The RootsMagic 7 version of Publish Online can only be hosted on our MyRootsMagic websites.  In RootsMagic 6 you had the option to do both. I use RootsMagic 7 but use the RM6 Style website to create the pages I need for my RootsWeb Freepages website.  It doesn't require anything special to run them, though I'm not familiar with WordPress requirements.

Renee
RootsMagic