20 replies to this topic

#1 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

I just found something in my system preferences called OSXFUSE that I have never seen there before.  I am assuming it was installed with macbridge as it says on the information window... 

OSXFUSE allows you to extend OS X’s native file handling capabilities via third-party file systems. Visit the OSXFUSE website for more information.

I noticed that it needed an update when I loaded it so I went ahead and updated it.  Seems that Macbridge is playing nicer after I did that.

I'm not sure if this is part of it but can someone else who is having the floating point issues open that booger up and update it and see if macbridge will play nicer?

I'm also now having less problems in creating sources with macbridge.

I think I'm on to something.

Allen

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

I just found something in my system preferences called OSXFUSE that I have never seen there before.  I am assuming it was installed with macbridge as it says on the information window... 

OSXFUSE allows you to extend OS X’s native file handling capabilities via third-party file systems. Visit the OSXFUSE website for more information.

I noticed that it needed an update when I loaded it so I went ahead and updated it.  Seems that Macbridge is playing nicer after I did that.

I'm not sure if this is part of it but can someone else who is having the floating point issues open that booger up and update it and see if macbridge will play nicer?

I'm also now having less problems in creating sources with macbridge.

I think I'm on to something.

Allen

Allen, Looks like you may well deserve the first prize, BUT it looks as though things may be be a little more complicated for some of us. It turns out that I have a MacFUSE already installed previously, though quite where it came from is any bodies guess. (I always wondered about that - it has been there for years.)

My MacFUSE is at 2.0.3, there are no updates, and going to the MacFUSE website (which is actually Google), it looks like the project is dormant/dead, and the OSXFUSE you have is the replacement for it. So it would seem that I need to get MacFUSE removed and OSXFUSE installed. That may be beyond my capabilities, though I know someone who should be able to help (my son).

Looks like a work in progress for me. 

#3 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

I want to start by stating that I've only had one Floating Point error since I updated that file and I think it has something to do with New Family Search exchange of data.  I'm not getting constant pop ups and my file seems to not have any corruption since.

As for blaming it on OSXFUSE, It looks like a strong possibility... since MacBridge's core mimics the Windows file system... it would seem very likely that a file system bridge program would be necessary.  There is another possibility that may be in play, one of my large 4T USB Drives is formatted in windows format and OSXFUSE may have been inserted when that bad boy was plugged in.

The problem with Mac computers (which really is part of their beauty not a problem) is that they are pretty much self-healing, and self-installing.  When you plug something new into them they will automatically go out and get what you need in the way of drivers and software to make it work.  It's almost too transparent, for someone who is not very technically savvy that is awesome.  For nerds like me I like to know what is going on and have a bit more control over what is and isn't installed on my computers.

Bottom line is we will get it working 100%.  I have used about every Genealogy software out there and I can say with 110% confidence that there are no finer people in the business than the RootsMagic team.  

So far the floating point has been nothing more than an annoyance... a very aggravating annoyance, but it's livable.  We will definitely get there and I'm hoping that they will pull a rabbit out of the hat and produce a real live Mac version of RootsMagic that will interface with iCloud and give us a few Mac goodies to entice the Windows people to leave the dark side.

Allen

Edited by Allen Prunty, 24 September 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

Allen,

The OSXFUSE application was almost certainly auto-installed when you attached your 'Windows formatted' drive as it would be needed to enable OSX to read/write to the NTFS format.  I suspect that the Drive supplier/reseller included software to trigger the installation if/when it recognised a connection to a Mac OS X device.  

It's far more common to format a Drive as exFat if it will need to be read by both Mac and Windows PCs, or to reformat an NTFS formatted drive to the standard Mac format if you don't need to connect/share the drive with a Windows PC.  Using a NTFS formatted drive on a Mac is bound to degrade performance to some extent because of the added software interface required to to enable OS X to read/write to the drive, and shouldn't really be considered 100% reliable.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Allen, Looks like you may well deserve the first prize, BUT it looks as though things may be be a little more complicated for some of us. It turns out that I have a MacFUSE already installed previously, though quite where it came from is any bodies guess. (I always wondered about that - it has been there for years.)

My MacFUSE is at 2.0.3, there are no updates, and going to the MacFUSE website (which is actually Google), it looks like the project is dormant/dead, and the OSXFUSE you have is the replacement for it. So it would seem that I need to get MacFUSE removed and OSXFUSE installed. That may be beyond my capabilities, though I know someone who should be able to help (my son).

Looks like a work in progress for me.

I've made a little more progress on understanding this area of OSXFUSE and MacFUSE, but first it would be helpful to get confirmed that MacBridge does indeed install and use OSXFUSE. I'm not entirely convinced that this is the case.

I'm now pretty sure that my MacFUSE was installed by old versions of Parallels (up to and including V6), but newer versions do not install it but also do not remove it if already installed.

In my case, IF MacBridge should install OSXFUSE, maybe it doesn't if MacFUSE is already installed.

Can anyone else other than Allen who has installed MacBridge confirm that they have OSXFUSE installed? Do you have any clue as to what caused it to be installed? Was it MacBridge?

#6 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Can't speak for MacBridge installation but I do know that no other Wine GUI (which is what MacBridge is) installs Mac/OSXFUSE and WineApps don't need to read/write to NTFS formatted drives which is what that software enables.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#7 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Can't speak for MacBridge installation but I do know that no other Wine GUI (which is what MacBridge is) installs Mac/OSXFUSE and WineApps don't need to read/write to NTFS formatted drives which is what that software enables.

Mervyn

To try to prove or disprove the relevance of OSXFUSE, I've just installed OSXFUSE with the MacFUSE compatibility option (which removes the old MacFUSE that I had lying around), and then removed OSXFUSE using it's removal option. Then, following a restart, I removed the MacBridge RM and installed it again from scratch, including updating to the new 6.3.3.1. I now do not have OSXFUSE installed, so it is not installed as part of the MacBridge installation.

So, I suggest that OSXFUSE, if installed, is irrelevant to MacBridge and to the "floating point exception" problem (which is still happening on 6.3.3.1, though I don't suppose we would have expected it to resolve it).

#8 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

After I updated to the latest release of OSXFUSE I still got the Floating Point error.  What I did next was to delete OSXFUSE and I have not had a single Floating Point error crop up.  I used to run both Parallels and Crossover so I think it got installed with one of those programs.  I had decided to try an go all Mac software but couldn't give up RootsMagic so I installed MacBridge.  Now that I have deleted OSXFUSE I am a happy camper.

Marc

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

After I updated to the latest release of OSXFUSE I still got the Floating Point error.  What I did next was to delete OSXFUSE and I have not had a single Floating Point error crop up. Now that I have deleted OSXFUSE I am a happy camper. Marc

Well unfortunately deleting it doesn't seem to have done the trick for me. Still getting the floating point error when returning to an open RM.

#10 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

If the lack of a System Preferences panel is any indication, I have neither MacFuse nor OSXFUSE on my system but have gotten frequent floating point errors. I don't think it can be installed by MacBridge.

#11 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

If the lack of a System Preferences panel is any indication, I have neither MacFuse nor OSXFUSE on my system but have gotten frequent floating point errors. I don't think it can be installed by MacBridge.

The floating point is back... and with a vengeance... I too have uninstalled OSXFUSE which has taken down my large 4TB drive which is windows fat formatted.  Did not effect the floating point... and I have reinstalled OSXFUSE.

I'm back to square one.  I don't believe it is either an OSXFUSE or a YOSEMITE problem.

Allen

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

I just wanted to note that the floating point error has been reported to development and all that you have experimented with to resolve it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

I just wanted to note that the floating point error has been reported to development and all that you have experimented with to resolve it.

Renee darling.....  

YOU ROCK!!!!

Thanks for all you do... I hope they know what a treasure they have in you.

Allen

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

Ahhhhh....

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

Renee, Is enough now known about the circumstances of this problem that we can stand down on trying to deduce the specific circumstances that do, and don't, trigger it. Or would more information be useful IF we can manage to provide anything more specific?

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

Development is still trying to track it down so whatever new information you can add here the better.

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Please tell them not to take away from the development of the native mac version... we can handle a floating point every now and then until the native version is done.

Allen

#18 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:56 AM

Please tell them not to take away from the development of the native mac version... we can handle a floating point every now and then until the native version is done.

Allen

I agree, Allen ..... it's just a minor annoyance..... as long as whatever is causing it doesn't impact the native Mac version in some way.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#19 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

I agree, Allen ..... it's just a minor annoyance..... as long as whatever is causing it doesn't impact the native Mac version in some way.

Had to take a double look at your picture and Rene, you need to check your trees I think you are cousins  :D

Wish we could hear some word of the status of the mac version's development.   I don't think they will have a problem getting beta testers.

Allen

#20 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'm already standing in a line. I just hope it's the one for beta testing!

Marc