• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nittany

nittany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

When RootsMagic 6 (ver.6.3.2.0) is open and I go to web search, I get a message that my browser is out of date and no longer supported. I am given the option of installing another browser. I am currently using Win XP and Google Chrome browser. I don't see anything to turn on, or any way to tell RoootsMagic that I AM using Google Chrome. When I go to FamilySearch website IN Google Chrome, I don't get the message that my browser is out of date and I need to update. The problem message only appears within RootsMagic. All other search providers work. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8726 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

RootsMagic WebSearch uses an embedded browser component for Internet Explorer, which is basically version 7. This is the only option that Microsoft gives us for embedding browsers inside of Windows programs. FamilySearch requires IE 10 or higher browser to operate, otherwise you will get that message. Since you are using Google Chrome to visit the website directly then this would never be an issue. The embedded browser isn't controlled by your default browser on your computer.

To get around the issue with an embedded IE 7 browser we added a registry key in an update a while back, to recognize the version of IE the user was running. Unfortunately Windows XP can only be upgraded to use IE 9. So we can't fix this problem for you on an XP computer.

All the information should be on the WebSearch page. You just need to scroll down a ways. The only other option is use the external browser option to take you out of WebSearch and then into Chrome to view the results on FamilySearch. 

Renee
RootsMagic