20 replies to this topic

#1 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:32 AM

Even if only one birth "fact"/tag/event, nothing shows up in the index in RM unless a birth fact is marked as primary

Makes it a little hard to distinguish bewteen the gazillions of John Smiths  ^_^ 

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

If no birth date is showing in the Index when there is a birth date, go to Files, Database tools and run the Database tools in order. Close RM and reopen it to refresh the Index.

If there is only one birth fact that will show in the Index whether it is marked Primary or not.

I have 12 males with George in their given name and Lewis as a surname. I created a Group.

Mark group:
Given name(s), contains George
AND, Surname, contains, Smith

I customize the People view with Birth date, Birth place, Death date, Death place, Burial place and any other Individual fact(s) that will help me find the George Lewis I am looking for.

Filter the People view using the George Lewis group.

I can change the Sidebar to Family and highlight a George Lewis on the People view. This shows me the spouses, children, parents, and siblings of the highlighted person.

I also add an Alternate name fact for each Lewis with George in their given name with some kind of identifying comment in the Suffix of the name.

[w=Jane Doe] w=wife
[p=John Lewis, Mary Jones] p=parent(s)
[l=Los.Angeles Co., CA] l=lived in

I mark the Alternate name fact as Private as I don't want to print them in some reports. We can choose if we want to print Private facts for each report when we create the report.

On the Sidebar Index, People view and RootsMagic Explorer, check the box to show the Alternate names.

Suffix, contains, = can be used as a search filter.

Most of the time I can find the George Lewis I am looking for from the Alternate name in the Index without using the Group and People view.

Adding this Alternate name with the identifying Suffix has saved me a lot of time looking for the right person.

I also add the Alternate name with the Suffix to identify single women of the same name.

For all married women:

Prefix = Mrs.
Given name = Given names (maiden surname)
Surname = married surname
Suffix = [h=husband's name]

In the Index, the Mrs. in the Prefix shows me Mary Smith was her married name and the Suffix shows me who she was married to.

#3 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ta Laura,

agree that the running the tools brought back the dates.

Suggest that it would be a little less worrying if the import did that as the final step of the import.

And thank you also for all your tips and hints on how better to use RM, always learn something from them.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

The issue with needing to rebuild indexes after a direct import of the TMG file will be resolved in the next update.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 torleifro

torleifro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

And it worked OK in v6.3.3 today.

Also importing the new TMGv9.04 works OK.

#6 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

It did not work OK for me. I have ver.6.3.3.2 and I have done all elements in database tools, but Birth and death date and places are gone in pedigree, family, decendants.

#7 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

This sounds like it can be a language issue. (Although I'm still trying to figure out exactly how you could get that outcome.)

#8 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

It did not work OK for me. I have ver.6.3.3.2 and I have done all elements in database tools, but Birth and death date and places are gone in pedigree, family, decendants.

erlingkr,

This is a bit of a long shot, but did all your birth and death tags translated to RM standard Birth and Death facts?

Or are they named otherwise?

I understand that unlike TMG where any tag in the birth/death group marked as primary will be shown as the primary date, RM doesn't assume eg a baptism/christening can be used in the index as a primary birth date.

#9 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm not sure that I understand you right, but I have the date and places in place when I open "Edit person", so the info are there but not showing in the pedigree, family form.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

On the main menu, select Lists > Fact Type list and scroll down the list to where you see Birth. Select it and then the Print button to "Print Persons with this fact type". If that list of persons is very short, then your births are recorded in another fact type which is not the standard one. Is there a second one named "Birth"? Repeat. One of these is standard, the other custom, imported from TMG. Only the standard Birth fact (or standard Christening fact) is used for the year of Birth or quick facts displays.

If your TMG Birth facts imported as custom Births, that is because you have used something other than TMG's standard Birth. Either in TMG or in RootsMagic, you need to change the tag/fact type to the standard one.

The same will be true for the Death event.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:26 AM

If your TMG Birth facts imported as custom Births, that is because you have used something other than TMG's standard Birth. Either in TMG or in RootsMagic, you need to change the tag/fact type to the standard one.

I am not very satisfied with this approach. TMG supports different types of birth: "normal", illegitimate, stillborn. I want to maintain this information after migration and also use it in sentences  Changing the fact type or having two facts ("standard" to have RM think the person is born and another one to indicate illegitimate/stillborn) is no solution for me.

"RM works as designed" . This may be true. But nobody would object an enhancement of RM design to accept/support different kind of births etc. Conventional RM users would not be forced to use it and newcomers from TMG would be satisfied.

Maybe we (i.e. TMG users) should make a list of possible enhancements to RM that would not impact traditional users (ensure continuity) and nevertheless add features similar to TMG. I could think of flags, coloring (two models: based on flags or groups, not limited to 16 colors but background/foreground colors), roles for principals, usage of alternate names in facts/sentences, different type of parents (biological, step parents, adoption, ...), different types of baptism (re-baptism, adult, ...)  etc.

Regards

Helmut

#12 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

TomH. Under Birth, it came up empty,but with the imported version of Birth it show all. It look like Jim Byram has right.It is a language issue. So the question is how can we import direct into RM. As HLein says TMG have different types of Birth, Death and marriage, so how can we connect these options so it shows up in Family, pedigree and another views.

My TMG is ver. 9.04

#13 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'd make a copy of your project in TMG and use TMG Utility to change the custom birth and death tags to the standard Birth and Death tags. Marriage also? And then import that and see how it goes. Also keep in mind that RM only imports the English roles and role sentences.

#14 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Jim,I have TMG utility and it shows only the Norwegian version of Birth, death and marriage and not the English version, so I can't use TMG utility to do that.

#15 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

I can't test this at the moment. Try running TMG and setting the language to English (US) and exiting. Then try TMG Utility.

#16 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

Jim, Done that. The only date I got is Christnings date.

#17 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Next guess. The Norwegian tag type name in English as well as in Norwegian. In the tag type list, change the English name for those tag types to English birth, marriage, death as appropriate.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

Go to Lists>Fact Type list and make sure you only have one fact type for birth and death. If you have a custom birth or death fact and not the default one then it will not be used properly. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

You can tell a fact is a program defined fact as the name of the fact cannot be edited.

#20 erlingkr

erlingkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

I got it right now, I had to set TMG in English mode first, not in Norwegian mode and that did the trick.