9 replies to this topic

#1 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

Have just tried the new TMG direct import.

On my Win7 pro desktop the message that comes up prior to the actual  import is truncated so nothing more than the first line is readable.

https://www.dropbox....geWin7.jpg?dl=0

Luckily under Parallels on my macbookpro the message is fully readable, so I could read the full message, and follow the link to the tips file.

Help didn't have anything I could find in it about the TMG import or the tips file.

Under MacBridge, same as win7, only first line readable.

After the import (Win7), likewise only the first line of the window is readable

"Some corruption was detected in the file you just imported.

https://www.dropbox....essage.jpg?dl=0

Under parallels the import just hangs, nothing obvious happening - scrub this, I was just too impatient.

(now I can't work out how to change the subject to show it's message truncation I'm talking about)

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6081 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

To add images to your message, upload them to an image hosting site such as postimage.org. Copy the link it provides into the dialog window that comes up when you click on the image button in the message editor.

Have you done the advised database tool thingy in TMG and closed it before doing the import?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8205 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

The size of the font in that pop-up is being controlled by your screen resolution on your computer. Try adjusting the resolution until you can find a happy medium between text size and truncating your pop-up.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

Just for one, possibly vital, message in one application (RM)!

My Mac display resolution is set to Best for display, which when changed to "scaled" shows as "Best for Retina".

If you venture to set it to anything else, you get warnings about possible performance impacts.

And as, I presume, to get the message visible I have to make the text smaller, that doesn't seem a very good tradeoff to my old eyes.

The two remaining options making the text smaller are equivalent to 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

Or am I not looking in the right place??

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8205 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

It sounded like you were trying to do this in Windows 7. Now I'm not sure. What operating system are you using and what settings do you have.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Renee,

I have a Win 7 desktop - which is mainly used for testing things. I tried the direct TMG import on it first, and received the truncated message.

I also have a macbookpro (retina / mavericks 10.9.5) which is my main genie machine.

RM6 is running under parallels v9.

When MacBridge was released I jumped at the chance to get one more program off Windows as the only things I  use parallels for these days are genie programs.

The message is also truncated under MacBridge (but not in RM6 under parallels).

In general I do find the font /display differences between the Parallels and MacBridge versions disconcerting.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8205 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

Since that pop-up is controlled by your Windows settings and you need to have the resolution lower so you can see, I'm not sure that there is an answer for this issue.  Confirming this issue is noted in our tracking system for developments to look at. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

The message is also truncated under MacBridge (but not in RM6 under parallels).
In general I do find the font /display differences between the Parallels and MacBridge versions disconcerting.

It may be that the difference is because of different DPI settings between your Parallels and MacBridge set ups. I used to use Parallels just for RM and I remember tweaking the DPI setting in XP to ease some of the character size display issues (though in my case I needed to make things larger).

I have been using CrossOver more recently and I needed to increase the DPI setting ( increased from 96 to 140) for the RM bottle (I.e. vIrtual machine) to increase the size of some of the characters that I couldn't alter via the RM Display Options. MacBridge doesn't provide the means to change the DPI setting, so MacBridge is pretty well unusable on my 1680 x 1050 iMac because some of the characters being used are just too small.

In your case where there are problems, is the character size acceptable but the panel in which they are being displayed is too small, or or are the characters too big? The latter would suggest a smaller DPI settings is required, which seems counter intuitive.

#9 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

It may be that the difference is because of different DPI settings between your Parallels and MacBridge set ups. I used to use Parallels just for RM and I remember tweaking the DPI setting in XP to ease some of the character size display issues (though in my case I needed to make things larger).

I have been using CrossOver more recently and I needed to increase the DPI setting ( increased from 96 to 140) for the RM bottle (I.e. vIrtual machine) to increase the size of some of the characters that I couldn't alter via the RM Display Options. MacBridge doesn't provide the means to change the DPI setting, so MacBridge is pretty well unusable on my 1680 x 1050 iMac because some of the characters being used are just too small.

In your case where there are problems, is the character size acceptable but the panel in which they are being displayed is too small, or or are the characters too big? The latter would suggest a smaller DPI settings is required, which seems counter intuitive.

J.P.

In MacBridge (and Win7 on desktop) the font size is acceptable but the panel is too small.

Under Parallels (Win7) the panel grew to accommodate the message.

Images are linked in the first message of the thread

Under Parallels I have the fonts/display set to a custom 175% magnification of display set to a 2880x1800 resolution as the best tradeoff I could find when that was set up a while ago.

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

Under Parallels I have the fonts/display set to a custom 175% magnification of display set to a 2880x1800 resolution as the best tradeoff I could find when that was set up a while ago.

Is the 175% a setting in Parallels or in the Win7 that runs under Parallels?