7 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I enjoy using RM, now under MacBridge, but one item high on my Wish List is the ability to copy entire Facts (including Notes and Sources) to add to additional people. I choose not to use Shared Facts because they don't transfer via gedcom and that's important to me.

So, with the help of a little Utility app, I can copy Fact details such as Date and Note from one person and then copy those items to a different person. I use the Memorize and Paste functions in RM to copy and paste Source info for use again. I use a multiple clipboard utility. The one I use is PTHPasteboard but there are others that work as well. These are the steps I follow:

1) Create a Fact for an individual and enter in all pertinent info including Notes. 

2) Select any field data you want to copy over to an additional person by selecting it and either Edit menu>Copy or press command+c to copy the data to one of your multiple clipboards. Do this with other field such as Notes. Now you should have those fields copied to the clipboard. (I don't copy the place details because they are easy to duplicate by the auto complete feature.)

3) Add in your source info by adding a new one or citing an existing source. When it is complete, click the Memorize button. Now you should have everything you need to copy the fact to an another person.

4) Go to each subsequent person you want to add the Fact to. Add the Fact to that person.

5) In the Date field, go to your multiple clipboard display (mine is reached from the menubar). Choose the date by clicking on that clipboard and it will paste it in the date.

6) Go to the Notes and click on the appropriate clipboard, and your Note data is copied.

7) Click on the Source, then paste your saved source data in from the Citation Manager window.

It only takes a very short time to copy Facts from one person to another in this manner. Much easier and better than going back and forth from one person to another! Still, not as elegant and efficient as having one button to copy it all. I hope this is helpful to other users. 

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

I enjoy using RM, now under MacBridge, but one item high on my Wish List is the ability to copy entire Facts (including Notes and Sources) to add to additional people. I choose not to use Shared Facts because they don't transfer via gedcom and that's important to me.

Productivity is high on a lot of users wish lists so hopefully this might get addressed in the next version, and thanks for the tip.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

I use the alt+ m  to memorize my source citation, then alt + p for printing it for using with the next person who needs it.  My census & other sources are set up with having all the information within the census source, including names, Household, family, page # etc...  The next census fact is  filled in using the census fact, fill in date on record, place, place details, if appropriate, have the description enabled and use for age of person on record and occupation. The sentence is filled in as I want it to be. open Citation/Source Manager then alt+p and change what is need.

I also do not use shared events, only census (family) if a couple. 

Using the Detail Text which become the Research Notes: section with all the information can be printed in narrative reports, individual summaries. Notes to me are too cluttered, not real readable in a report to put all that information in them. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

I use the alt+ m  to memorize my source citation, then alt + p for printing it for using with the next person who needs it.  My census & other sources are set up with having all the information within the census source, including names, Household, family, page # etc...  The next census fact is  filled in using the census fact, fill in date on record, place, place details, if appropriate, have the description enabled and use for age of person on record and occupation. The sentence is filled in as I want it to be. open Citation/Source Manager then alt+p and change what is need.

I also do not use shared events, only census (family) if a couple. 

Using the Detail Text which become the Research Notes: section with all the information can be printed in narrative reports, individual summaries. Notes to me are too cluttered, not real readable in a report to put all that information in them. 

Nettie

This seems like a good idea to me. It certainly would achieve copying ALL the important data for a Fact in one operation and the ability to paste it into a created Fact for the next person involved. Is there any down side to doing it this way? I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks for sharing it. 

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

I have found no downside to this method.  I have been doing this this way since the days of Family Origins.  Back then we used the notes.  Really like the way the source citations can be done.  I do a lot of copying of Source Templates to make them the way I want them.  I believe I put the Census one in Tips and Hints  [for got the name of the section] from one of the earlier revisions of RM.  

Many of us do enable the description  in the editing of each of a Fact Type.   I find it really helpful in creating a sentence that makes sense.   :)  Laura has shared on this forum a lot of suggestions for sentences.

FYI  another tidbit.  I created an Excel workbook with a tab containing a list of  all [including my own additions] the Fact Types and have the sentence template there also. Because I have changed some of the sentence templates, this helps in keeping track of changes. Another tab is the changes that I have made in the database found in the File/Properties menu.  Especially when I am cleaning Sources or other areas of the database. :)  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Nettie

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love this Forum because of people like you that share better ways of doing things in RM! Your Excel workbook sounds like a great idea, too and I will definitely search for Laura's wisdom on sentences. Your method is the way I'm entering the data I've always put in Notes before, especially for Facts that include more than one person such as Census. I'll go back and gradually work on older entries to convert them to this method.

Have a great day!

Kathy

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Like Nettie, I also.enable the description fields for every fact for more.versitility in sentences.

I created a Research log linked to a dummy person to keep track of changed default fact sentences rather than have that in another program. If I create a new database, I can drag and drop that person into the new database. And, I can print and save the Research log and copy and paste from the word processor file.

Each Research item is a fact. I enter the default fact sentences I am using in the Research item for that fact.. In some instances, I also enter variations of the default sentences that I use to customize the sentence on the Edit person screen. I, also, enter any comments like how I am using a user defined fact, whether to make the fact private when linked, etc.

#8 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Laura.... Another good idea! Thank you so much!!

Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tip, copy facts