6 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'm a fairly new user to RM. I used it in the past but switched to Legacy via Parallels on my Mac. When I saw that I could use RM via MacBridge, I switched back and plan on using RM for all my research/genealogy from now on.

So, that little intro finished, I'd like to know how others make use of Research Logs? I understand that they are used to record research you have already done. I guess my question really is, do you make one log for each person and record all work you do on him/her? Or, do you make one for, say John Jones - census and another for John Jones - marriage, etc.? I'm interested in what seems to work best before I dive into it and have to change things later on. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi Kathy,

Do a search for Research Logs on the forum as this subject has been discussed several times before. I personally believe this feature may get some further attention in the next release and it's hard to predict the shape any such changes might take.

As Research Logs are searchable I have taken the step of moving my previous Correspondence Log to it and I have also moved any completed To-Do items over.

It seems generally felt that more integration is needed here so do some reading before maybe investing in a path you may need to rething in the future. 

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

Some users do restrict themselves to only using Research logs linked to a person with just the research already done.

But, I don't. I also use it to record data I need to search for or data I searched for and didn't find.

The Research logs gives me a whole new database that is not tied to just the lineage database that I can use in other ways that are useful for me. I am only limited by the number of boxes for a Research item, but not limited about how I use them.

I use the Research logs for a research management system.

For a Research log for a person, I have Research item for research I have done and research I need to do. Everything is in the Research log for that person. I don't use ToDo's to track research either to be done or already done.

Using Research logs not linked to a person is great for recording all the General research I have done that I can't link to a person in my database.

I have General research logs, for example but not restricted to:

Emails pertaining to a family group

Sources I haven't finished reading yet or will need to go back to again with Research items for people I have found and people I need to look for.

Obituaries for people I do not yet have in my database

Research log for research sources in my personal library, books, CD's, etc.

Research sources at my local library, books, microfilm, etc.

A log for search criteria which I will probably use again.

A log for RootsMagic tips and tricks.

I am starting a log for my family's medical information.

General research logs do not export in a gedcom or Drag and drop, so I have linked them to a dummy person. Then, I can choose that person to be included in a gedcom or Drag and drop when I want the General research logs included.

If I use the Research item boxes in a way other than what the label indicates, I enter what I am using a box for in the note for the Research log.

I do use ToDo's for data I want to transfer to several Research logs,

Think out of the box and choose how you want to use Research logs.

However a new version of RM integrates the ToDo list or other features with the Research logs, I will keep everything altogether in the Research logs.

#4 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Laura ......... Wow! Thank you so much for your list of great ways to use Research Logs. It's a lot to digest but it gives me a lot of ideas for my own research and I'm sure I will implement many of yours!

I love to be organized and have formerly used my own database in FileMaker Pro on my Mac to record everything I have ever researched, whether I found what I was looking for or not. I stopped using it, only because of the cost of upgrading it to work with new operating systems and have searched for something else I can use. With your excellent suggestions, I think I can make this work..... and have the complete package.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Kathy, since I enter data in the Research item boxes that doesn't necessarily correspond with the label of the boxes, I list the box label and what to enter in that box in the objectives box for the Research log.

It helps a lot when I go back and add new Research items.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

Kathy, since I enter data in the Research item boxes that doesn't necessarily correspond with the label of the boxes, I list the box label and what to enter in that box in the objectives box for the Research log.

Laura's trick is excellent. I tend to be very literal and to try to enter information into the boxes based only on the label that's there - round pegs into round holes and that sort of thing. I have to grit my death to put square pegs into round holes - my failure, I guess, rather than RM's failure. I do use the Research logs, but I would like them a good bit better if I could change the labels to meet my needs. And part of my problem with square pegs and round holes is that the Research log tends to fit my needs for Todo Lists better than the Todo Lists themselves, except of course that the Research log labels aren't quite right for my needs.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

I agree with what has been said and really await and expect the next evolution of the Research Manager before making big investments here.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: research logs