• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

I am getting a message when I log in to Ancestry using RootsMagic under MacBridge that the Browser I am using is out of date.  Is there a way to upgrade the browser.  Ancestry indicates that I won't be able to use all of their functionality if I do not upgrade.  Thanks,

Marc Irish

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

RootsMagic's WebSearch runs an embedded Internet Explorer that Microsoft has not updated in a very long time. We were able to trick it by making changes to the registry so it would use your current IE browser installed on your computer. That is not an option with the Mac. So WebSearch is actually using an old embedded browser that cannot be updated. The best thing to do in that case it to launch the external browser from WebSearch so you have full functionality. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

RootsMagic's WebSearch runs an embedded Internet Explorer that Microsoft has not updated in a very long time. We were able to trick it by making changes to the registry so it would use your current IE browser installed on your computer. That is not an option with the Mac. So WebSearch is actually using an old embedded browser that cannot be updated. The best thing to do in that case it to launch the external browser from WebSearch so you have full functionality.

Is there a way within RootsMagic to specify a different default browser so that it is used when I click on WebSearch?

Thanks

Marc

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

No, because this is an embedded browser its not using the same browser that you access the internet with on your computer. Microsoft only allows us to embed a specific version of IE inside of Windows programs, they need to update this development tool. When we get a native Mac version of RootsMagic this won't be an issue.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for your  reply.

Marc

#6 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

No, because this is an embedded browser its not using the same browser that you access the internet with on your computer. Microsoft only allows us to embed a specific version of IE inside of Windows programs, they need to update this development tool. When we get a native Mac version of RootsMagic this won't be an issue.

Do you have any idea when you might release a native Mac version of RootsMagic?

Thanks.

Marc

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

No time frame to announce. Just to may variables with development since it's a complete rewrite of the program. 

Renee
RootsMagic