19 replies to this topic

#1 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

1) Anyone got any suggestions to share on the best font to use under MACBridge on a retina display macbookpro?

The font I'm used too under Parallels isn't obviously available.

2) I sent a message to support 2 or 3 days ago, no response as yet, but I can't make my unlock key work for MACBridge, despite trying typing and copy paste of the info supplied. Any hints?

#2 Bob Christopher

Bob Christopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

The font is probably irrelevant. I just bought Macbridge and downloaded the Crossover/Macbridge dmg file. When I opened the dmg file I got the usual Mac app install screen and dragged the RootsMagic 6 icon over to the Applications folder shown.

It turns out that when I bought Macbridge I got an email with the registration code embedded in the link to download the dmg file. You might want to check to see if that is the case with you. When you download the dmg file it is already registered via that embedded registration code/number in the

link to get the program. I never saw an opening screen asking for the Macbridge registration number. RootsMagic 6 started as always and I was given

the option to use my registered version or Essentials. I opted for the registered version, entered my name and registration number from my Windows

version of Roots Magic 6 and I was up and running... sort of.

I had copied all the Roots Magic data files and all my gedcom files over from Windows running inside VMWare Fusion (like you have in Parallels). I created

a folder and copied all the data into that folder in Windows. Then I simply dragged it to the Mac desktop, closed down Windows and Fusion. Then I moved

the folder to Documents.

Roots Magic 6 started just fine from the dock on my Mac. I was able to open one of the Roots Magic data files just fine. Everything looked good. My

problem is that I cannot quit Roots Magic while it is running in Macbridge. It simply will not close. I have to Force Quit it, which results in loss of data

I'm sure.

System: 2011 iMac 27" 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 1TB HDD

Anyone else having this problem?

#3 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Ta Bob,

Re your

>>cannot quit Roots Magic while it is running in Macbridge. It simply will not close. I have to Force Quit it,<<

I can't seem to close it from the dock (right click, Quit), but can by clicking on the red close button top left of the screen.

Font is indeed irrelevant to the unlock problem, but I can't find one that works well for my eyesight/screen

Will try reinstall to see if I get over my unlock problem, but no, the .dmg can't have had the code in it as I was asked which version I wanted to use, and when I chose the already paid for product, it asked for my name/registration code.

As I have my Windows files shared with my mac files, I could simply just open them (well I'm experimenting with a copy of my RM project)

#4 Bob Christopher

Bob Christopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, Lorna. Closing with the red dot worked. Odd that Quit in the menu doesn't. Oh, well.

Are you trying to unlock MacBridge or RootsMagic 6 Registered Version?

Bob

#5 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

DUH.

Of course the unlock code needed was for RM6 not MacBridge!

#6 Bob Christopher

Bob Christopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

Did you get it working? I just did a copy/paste of the registration code sent to me in an email by Roots Magic when I bought the program.

If you still have the email, mine was from 2010, just copy/paste and see if that works.

Bob

#7 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

Yes.

Put the unlock "problem" down to a senior moment about what I was unlocking.

Now back to finding a decent font.

#8 Bob Christopher

Bob Christopher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

Lorna,

One that comes to mind is Tahoma in a large size like 24 or 32 point.

If you're looking for a specific "look" or character style let me know.

I have thousands of fonts.

Bob

#9 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

it's not the size Bob, but the clarity.

Amazing how different the same font I'm using in RM6 under parallels looks different under the macbridge version (I found it in the windows fonts and dragged it to my mac Library/Fonts).

Windows has segoe UI

looks like a poor resolution dot matrix printer on mac

Tahoma set at 12 is the best I've found to date.

Spent too long on this, back to work...

#10 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

For a font, I'm using Constantia 18 and 16. I feel that it works well. BTW, I also ran into that problem of having to Force Quit. Besides the red button, I also found that clicking the door (Windows exit) then choosing either to backup or skip, exits the program also. Not very Mac-like but I think this is a work in progress. I'm looking forward to future improvements and DEFINITELY the Mac version!

Kathy

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#11 lyndseylou

lyndseylou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

How do you force quit??? My Rootsmagic opened just fine. Then I open a file (.rmgc) from my zip drive. It opened fine but when I clicked to open the Familysearch "tree" by one of my family members the computer screen froze with that page open. I can't get off it. Thankfully I can still use any other program on my computer.  HELP!!!!

#12 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

How do you force quit??? My Rootsmagic opened just fine. Then I open a file (.rmgc) from my zip drive. It opened fine but when I clicked to open the Familysearch "tree" by one of my family members the computer screen froze with that page open. I can't get off it. Thankfully I can still use any other program on my computer.  HELP!!!!

Click on your apple symbol top left of your screen

select Force Quit

select RM in the list of applications that opens and then Force Quit.

There's a short cut to this last Command-Option-Escape

#13 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

My MacBook Pro isn't Retina, but I found that 14-pt Calibri works well for the main screen and index list font. Unfortunately, the source list, places list and source template list don't seem to recognize the font options at all.

#14 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Roots Magic 6 started just fine from the dock on my Mac. I was able to open one of the Roots Magic data files just fine. Everything looked good. My

problem is that I cannot quit Roots Magic while it is running in Macbridge. It simply will not close. I have to Force Quit it, which results in loss of data

I'm sure.

I quit using the Exit command in the "Windows" File menu. That seems to work fine. MacBridge doesn't appear to recognize the Mac menu selections.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Confirming issues with all the Exiting options inside of RootsMagic not functioning has been reported to development.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

My MacBook Pro isn't Retina, but I found that 14-pt Calibri works well for the main screen and index list font. Unfortunately, the source list, places list and source template list don't seem to recognize the font options at all.

Just to add some weight to this issue of the font sizes.

I'm using a 2008 iMac with a 1680 x 1050 pixel screen and as I already have RM installed under CrossOver, I decided to compare the 2 side by side. What I found is that the identical fonts, where they affect the displayed output, appear smaller with MacBridge. I have looked into my CrossOver setup and I don't seem to have found any parameter that relates to the dimensions of the display, so I am a little surprised by the difference. Yes, for some parts of the displays I can increase the font sizes that RM uses and that restores equality, BUT ONLY where those parameters take affect. Where these have no effect, then the sizes are tending to be too small and I suspect, as has been pointed out, they may be unusable on a retina display.

I wonder if there is some "setting" that was used when MacBridge was packaged that results in the difference I noted above and whether this might offer a way of at least easing this font display issue.

Edited by J P, 21 September 2014 - 07:56 AM.

#17 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Just to add some weight to this issue of the font sizes.

I'm using a 2008 iMac with a 1680 x 1050 pixel screen and as I already have RM installed under CrossOver, I decided to compare the 2 side by side. What I found is that the identical fonts, where they affect the displayed output, appear smaller with MacBridge. I have looked into my CrossOver setup and I don't seem to have found any parameter that relates to the dimensions of the display, so I am a little surprised by the difference. Yes, for some parts of the displays I can increase the font sizes that RM uses and that restores equality, BUT ONLY where those parameters take affect. Where these have no effect, then the sizes are tending to be too small and I suspect, as has been pointed out, they may be unusable on a retina display.

I wonder if there is some "setting" that was used when MacBridge was packaged that results in the difference I noted above and whether this might offer a way of at least easing this font display issue.

Interestingly, I think I may have partially answered my own question. Rooting around in CrossOver I discovered that I had changed the "Windows" DPI setting from the default of 96 to 133. Clearly I made this change to tackle this problem of some of the RM displays being too small. Experimenting further by increasing it to 153, say, makes most of the fields that seem to be causing trouble to be bigger still - and also makes the fields affected by the font choices in RM bigger as well. That is what one might expect.

This would suggest to me that MacBridge is packaged with a fixed DPI setting of the default of 96. Maybe what we need to resolve this issue is the ability to change this value depending on the resolution of the display being used. I suspect that this is essential for modern Retina displays and probably also essential for more recent iMacs, particularly the 27 inch versions.

#18 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Interestingly, I think I may have partially answered my own question. Rooting around in CrossOver I discovered that I had changed the "Windows" DPI setting from the default of 96 to 133. Clearly I made this change to tackle this problem of some of the RM displays being too small. Experimenting further by increasing it to 153, say, makes most of the fields that seem to be causing trouble to be bigger still - and also makes the fields affected by the font choices in RM bigger as well. That is what one might expect.

This would suggest to me that MacBridge is packaged with a fixed DPI setting of the default of 96. Maybe what we need to resolve this issue is the ability to change this value depending on the resolution of the display being used. I suspect that this is essential for modern Retina displays and probably also essential for more recent iMacs, particularly the 27 inch versions.

Just to say that I have raised this with support and provided some sample screen captures to illustrate the font problem as I see it. Unfortunately all I can show is how things appear on a 1680 x 1050 display.

If you have this problem and have a Retina display or some other more modern display (than mine) with significantly more pixels, it might perhaps help things along if you could also raise with support and provide some sample screen captures (using CNTL-Shift-3 or -4). What I did was alter the RM display settings (font sizes) until the characters that they affect were a reasonable size and then captured the display panel (showing the font settings) plus a screen capture showing a collection of overlapping panels that illustrate most of the panel types - Pedigree view with people list, person fact list plus a Citation Manager and a Citation panel for one of the fact sources. This seemed to cover both the fields affected by the RM display settings and those that aren't.

From my CrossOver experiments, I can see that a DPI setting of 140 together with an appropriate choice of font sizes in the RM display settings seems to produce acceptable results on my display, but I have little idea of how it might appear with those values on a display with a significantly higher pixel count. I suspect that some characters might still be unacceptably small.

#19 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Just to say that I have raised this with support and provided some sample screen captures to illustrate the font problem as I see it. Unfortunately all I can show is how things appear on a 1680 x 1050 display.
If you have this problem and have a Retina display or some other more modern display (than mine) with significantly more pixels, it might perhaps help things along if you could also raise with support and provide some sample screen captures (using CNTL-Shift-3 or -4).

IF you are suffering this font size issue, how about raising with support as, having done that myself, I'm struggling to make the case, particularly as I seem to be the only one reporting it.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8492 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Confirming issue is noted in our development tracking system. The more details people give about their operating systems, displays, resolutions, etc. the more information development has to go off for a resolution that will work for everyone. 

Renee
RootsMagic