• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 L Nelson

L Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if someone has a solution. I’m trying to refer to the Help file while working with the FamilySearch features. Although I’ve been using RootsMagic for years (and Family Origins before that), I’ve never tried to match people in my db to FamilySearch Family Tree people. While doing that, I need to refer to the Help file.

However, I can’t navigate the Help file while I’m using RootsMagic. I can’t even close it; it just hangs. I started to copy the Help file to my word processor so I could have a copy to refer to, but it’s taking a LONG time to get it the way I want it.

Next I tried opening two copies of RootsMagic and using the Help file for one copy while I worked on the matches in the other copy. Same problem.

Is there any way to get a digital copy of the Help file or some workaround I haven’t thought of?

TIA.

Laurie Nelson

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

While testing this I discovered that you need to open the FamilySearch Person Tools screen first then hit F1 to open Help. When you close the FS Person Tools you need to close the Help window too. Otherwise when you open the FS Person Tools again or even another window in RM it will not let you switch back to Help.  It happens when any Modal dialog popup opens after the Help screen. I am confirming this issue is noted in our tracking system. 

For now just remember to hit F1 after the FS Person Tools is open and then close it when you are done. Just don't leave it open all the time when opening and closing windows. Then you can open it again later when you need it. 

We have videos that demonstrate how to use the FamilySearch Tools in RootsMagic on the following link:

http://www.youtube.c...er/RootsMagicTV

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

I save Help articles I access often as PDF format using CutePDF Writer.

Display the article in Help and choose Print. Choose CutePDF Writer from the printer list. Choose Print.

On the next screen choose where to save the file and change the file name and Save.

You may have a different PDF writer on your printer list or need to download one.

Open the file in Adobe reader and choose to display side by side with RootsMagic in Windows.

Better yet, if you also have a tablet, is to put the PDF file on the tablet and open the PDF article on the tablet when you want to use it.

#4 L Nelson

L Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

Laura, THANK YOU. That's exactly what I need. Can't believe I forgot about printing to PDF. Old age, I guess. I don't think as fast or as well as I used to. I also love the "story" you posted.

Renee, thanks for reporting this problem with RootsMagic. I've noticed that if I need help when I have any dialog box open in RootsMagic, I can't open Help. If that could be changed, it would be nice.

Laurie

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Another approach is to open the Help file outside of RootsMagic. You don't lose the F1 key context sensitive Help which opens in another window while the full Help system is available with Alt-Tab or taskbar, no matter what RootsMagic is doing.

Open the RootsMagic program folder (you may need Windows Administrator privilege) and locate RootsMagic.chm. Right-click on it, select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). Then clear the desktop (Windowkey-M) and locate "RootsMagic.chm Shortcut". Right click on it and select Rename - say "RootsMagic 6 Help". Then drag the shortcut icon to the start menu, keep holding down the left button, for the start menu to open, then up to "All programs" and hold for it to open, then up to the RootsMagic 6 folder and hold for it to open, then drop it in. Now Help is available to you from the Start Menu, whenever you need it.

You can do the same with RootsMagic Chart Help. 

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 L Nelson

L Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:39 AM

That's even better, Tom. Sometimes I want to refer to the Help file when I'm doing something in RootsMagic that I don't usually do. Much easier than having to get out of a dialog box or whatever to view help. Thanks for the tip.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Instead of making a shortcut to the RootsMagic.chm file in the program files, I copied the file to a different folder and renamed it. Then, I saved a shortcut for the copied file to the Desktop.

When I use the shortcut, it opens the copied file.

When I open Help or use the F1 key in RM, it opens the file saved in the program files.

Favorites are not transferred to the file copy. If I want the same favorites in both files, I will have to save them in both files separately.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

You don't need to copy the Help file to another folder. Both the window opened by the shortcut to the original file and the window opened by the RootsMagic F1 key are independent and can be open at the same time. To help distinguish them, you can have the Options> Show|Hide Tabs set oppositely with one Full Screen, the other partial screen. I would set the one opened by the shortcut to Full Screen/Show Tabs and the F1 key one to Partial Screen/Hide Tabs. 

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Shiro

Shiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm not an experienced user, but maybe just getting a copy of the latest manual "Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 6" by Mr. Buzbee would handle most of the questions.  I find it extremely useful and the minimal cost was worth not having to fiddle around with all the printouts and remembering where the various saves would be.  Also, I can have it open while looking at my problem and am able to flip back and forth to various subjects.