18 replies to this topic

#1 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have used RM on my Mac via Parallels for some time but was pleased to see that it's being made available to Mac users via MacBridge. I downloaded it and have been trying it out but I do have a couple of issues/questions.....

1) When in the Edit Person window, and I select a fact, clicking in one of the fields on the right (any field even the proof popup) often, but not always, makes the view jump to another fact for that person. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a pain. Also, just clicking in a blank spot in the right side of the window, often moves the fact selection to something different.

2) How do I do a search/find for some text that I would like to have grouped together? Such as searching for all people who have a burial place that equals Holy Sepulchre Cemetery? I can do the find from the RM Explorer but the results are not what I expected! The list is filled with the people I know were buried there, but also hundreds of people who never even were in the USA, lol. Why is that?

I look forward to the Mac version of RM!!

Kathy ....... Oh, I would dearly love the ability to copy an entire fact complete with source and notes so that it could be used for others sharing the event  (like Legacy does) ...... without having to use the Share Fact capability which doesn't transfer via gedcom.

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

2. When I search for Burial, Place, equals, [Cemetery name], I get a message saying No match found and have to click OK to close it. I don't have any Place names which are just cemetery names.

Equal searches for a Place name that contains exactly what you searched for and nothing else.

In RootsMagic Explorer, the people list doesn't change. You move back and forth to people selected in a search by choosing the Prior or Next button.

Try Burial, Place, contains [Cemetery name]. This will return people buried in any cemetery of that name in the database regardless what else is entered in each place name.

#3 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

Laura .... OK. I see it now and that makes sense. I did expect different behavior, but I see now how RM is set up to work. So, I did a find:  Burial, Place Details, contains, cemetery name and could move forward and backwards thru the RM Explorer to each of those people. NOW...... is there a way to be able to put these results into some kind of a Group? A report or list?

Thank you for your help!

Kathy

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Yes.

You manage and display groups primarily from the Groups tab on the sidebar. There is also the ability to filter by groups in the People View and to manage groups from Search in the menu bar (Search -> Named Groups -> Manage Groups).

To create a new group (or edit an existing group) to contain people buried in a particular cemetery, you will need to Mark Group -> Select by Data Fields and then use a criterion similar to what you have already done where Burial Place Contains [CemeteryName].

Having made the Group, you can make a custom report of everybody in the named Group, selecting the fields you want - usually things like first name, last name, etc. Or you can just put that Group into the Group sidebar and scroll up and down through the sidebar.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

I have used RM on my Mac via Parallels for some time but was pleased to see that it's being made available to Mac users via MacBridge. I downloaded it and have been trying it out but I do have a couple of issues/questions.....

1) When in the Edit Person window, and I select a fact, clicking in one of the fields on the right (any field even the proof popup) often, but not always, makes the view jump to another fact for that person. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be a pain. Also, just clicking in a blank spot in the right side of the window, often moves the fact selection to something different.

So far I don't have anyone else reporting this issue. I will watch to see if there is a pattern. For now I'm not sure why that is happening. Are you only seeing this behavior using MacBridge for RootsMagic, and not when you were using RootsMagic with Parallels on the Mac?

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

So far I don't have anyone else reporting this issue. I will watch to see if there is a pattern. For now I'm not sure why that is happening. Are you only seeing this behavior using MacBridge for RootsMagic, and not when you were using RootsMagic with Parallels on the Mac?

It only happens in MacBridge for RM. RM under Parallels works as expected. 

Kathy

#7 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Renee .... I just noticed something else regarding this issue ...... WHEN I see this behavior,

1) Select a Fact on the left which makes the details for the Fact show on the right

2) Clicking in a field for the details, such as Date

3) The fact on the left that lies directly on the same horizontal level as the field I just clicked in is where the selection gets moved to.

4) As an example, I just selected an Occupation fact. When I click in the Date field on the right, the selection jumped to the individual's name on the left...... which was the field on the left that was on the same line. 

This seems to be happening about 40% of the time.

Kathy

#8 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

Yes.

You manage and display groups primarily from the Groups tab on the sidebar. There is also the ability to filter by groups in the People View and to manage groups from Search in the menu bar (Search -> Named Groups -> Manage Groups).

To create a new group (or edit an existing group) to contain people buried in a particular cemetery, you will need to Mark Group -> Select by Data Fields and then use a criterion similar to what you have already done where Burial Place Contains [CemeteryName].

Having made the Group, you can make a custom report of everybody in the named Group, selecting the fields you want - usually things like first name, last name, etc. Or you can just put that Group into the Group sidebar and scroll up and down through the sidebar.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you so much!!!! That was a feature I couldn't find and hadn't noticed before. I followed your directions and I'm a happy camper. Thanks again!

Kathy

Kathy

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Renee .... I just noticed something else regarding this issue ...... WHEN I see this behavior,

1) Select a Fact on the left which makes the details for the Fact show on the right

3) The fact on the left that lies directly on the same horizontal level as the field I just clicked in is where the selection gets moved to.

4) As an example, I just selected an Occupation fact. When I click in the Date field on the right, the selection jumped to the individual's name on the left...... which was the field on the left that was on the same line. 

Still a mystery to me. Run the File>Database Tools all options in consecutive order to see if that makes any difference.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Still a mystery to me. Run the File>Database Tools all options in consecutive order to see if that makes any difference.

OK. I did that. The first three tests ran quickly and were OK. When I ran the compact database, I got an error message "RM has encountered an unexpected error:  SQLite Error 1 - cannot VACUUM - SQL statements in pr." I sent the error report to RM. Then tried again to compact ..... It has been at it for an hour now with no change. Is that normal? My database contains about 9500 people and is 23 MB. How long should I let this compacting go?

Kathy

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Close RM down completely then reopen and run the Compact Database tool.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Jan H

Jan H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

I just purchased and installed MacBridge and RootsMagic 6. I brought over my PAF data file and wish to print a pedigree chart. I keep getting the error message that my printer is out of paper. This is not true and my printer can print from any other screen on my computer.

What can I do to print a pedigree chart?

#13 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm not a Mac user, but this is what I'd try:

1) Check to see of you have a PDF printer driver (CutePDF, BullZip, and Adobe all have good ones - I have a few others also on my PC that I also use occasionally).

2) Print your pedigree chart from RM to the PDF printer, and save the resulting file to you hard drive or desktop (depending on how you prefer to organize your files.

3) Print the PDF to your printer from one of your Mac programs (Adobe Reader for the Mac would be an obvious choice to try).

#14 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

I did get the Compact File to work properly eventually. Guess it just got hung up.

I'm still having the other problem I mentioned above:

However, I just noticed something....... I just had this happen after clicking in a Graduation fact..... it would jump to another fact as stated above. Six times in a row can be aggravating! But, I noticed if I DOUBLE CLICKED in the field on the left, say Graduation, there is no jumping around. The Date field for the Graduation event gets highlighted and allows me to click in any other field in that right pane, which is what is needed. I tried it many other times on various people and various facts and when I double clicked, it worked as expected.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but this has worked for me.

Kathy

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

I did get the Compact File to work properly eventually. Guess it just got hung up.

I'm still having the other problem I mentioned above:

However, I just noticed something....... I just had this happen after clicking in a Graduation fact..... it would jump to another fact as stated above. Six times in a row can be aggravating! But, I noticed if I DOUBLE CLICKED in the field on the left, say Graduation, there is no jumping around. The Date field for the Graduation event gets highlighted and allows me to click in any other field in that right pane, which is what is needed. I tried it many other times on various people and various facts and when I double clicked, it worked as expected.

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but this has worked for me.

The reason it is jumping is because the focus has not changed to that fact. For some reason your computer is not recognizing the single click as selecting that new fact. When you click on the field on the right it is jumping to the fact that is still in focus.

I'm not sure what is different in your computer setup or how you are clicking on the fact. Can you tell me what Mac version you are using? Are you tabbing or clicking on the fact? After you click on the fact the cursor should automatically be in the first field to begin typing. Let us know any steps you are taking that may help us pin-point why this is happening. Obviously double-click works but we don't know why a single click is not good enough on your computer. So far I don't have anyone else reporting this. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

The reason it is jumping is because the focus has not changed to that fact. For some reason your computer is not recognizing the single click as selecting that new fact. When you click on the field on the right it is jumping to the fact that is still in focus.

I'm not sure what is different in your computer setup or how you are clicking on the fact. Can you tell me what Mac version you are using? Are you tabbing or clicking on the fact? After you click on the fact the cursor should automatically be in the first field to begin typing. Let us know any steps you are taking that may help us pin-point why this is happening. Obviously double-click works but we don't know why a single click is not good enough on your computer. So far I don't have anyone else reporting this. 

I am using Mac OS 10.9.4.

I select a Fact on the left, say Death. In the pane on the right side, it shows Death as the Fact selected with the fields, date, etc. displayed. When I click in one of those fields, the cursor jumps to whichever Fact is on the same horizontal plane on the left side of the window, such as Census. It's crazy, I know ...... leave it to me to have a problem no one an figure out, lol! But, I'm not too concerned. It doesn't happen every single time and when it's a problem, I smile and double click as I stated above. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me. I enjoy using RM on my Mac and appreciate the effort it took to make this possible.

Kathy

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:52 AM

I will pass this along to development to see if they can figure out why this is happening.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

KCard,

I am able to replicate this.

Allen

#19 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

KCard,

I am able to replicate this.

Allen

Thank you, Allen! I'm glad I'm not the only one ..... not that I'm happy you have experienced this. It's just nice to know my computer isn't possessed or something.   :o

Kathy