9 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Just about every other popular genealogy software comes with a sample database - why doesn't RootsMagic? On the webinars and videos, in the Help system and in the book are many examples from what appears to be the same database of the Smith family from Ames, Story, Iowa, United States. Why not make this database available for download so that new users can follow along and see how features are used, interacting as they go?

I've been asked this question by a prospective TMG emigre. Makes sense. The database exists so it should take little effort to put it online, assuming these are fictitious people. 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

I believe it is no longer included because the sample database used to be installed in the program files. With 64-bit computers you can't edit the database file inside of the program files. So the question now would be where do you put it.  It may be still on the CD version of the program for people to copy, but I'm not at home to take a look.

I will put in a request to have it available via download.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, Renee. I'm sure it will be helpful to some folk.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

Why not make this database available for download so that new users can follow along and see how features are used, interacting as they go?

A really good idea for someone contemplating a move to Rootsmagic, good one TomH

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

Renee -

Cannot the RM installer create a Roots Magic folder under Documents and put the Sample project there?   That also gives the user a logical default folder for his/her own projects.  Or perhaps that is a limitation of the RM installer.

Virginia

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

I am not sure on what the limitations would be on that, but I will give the suggestion to development. 

The sample file might take a little while, simply because development doesn't feel they have a good one yet. They want one that uses all the features of the program. For the videos and webinars they have been using various test files. Right now they are working hard on the TMG import and developing version 7 so we hate to pull them away to do that. If anyone has a good test file they want to share I will add it to the RM Template website I created for people to download.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Would putting an import of a competitor's database on your or RootMagic's websites violate any rights? It would be helpful to those investigating a transition, given that they might have some familiarity with the data and could readily see what has been lost and, maybe with some work done on the transferred data, what has been gained.

#8 Bill H

Bill H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Did anything ever come of this?

It is really hard to evaluate a program without a sample database.  Legacy provides one.  Family Historian provides one.  It can't be that hard to do.

Thanks,

Bill

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:20 AM

I will put in a request to have it available via download.

This goes back a bit and is probably a more needed request now that when first posted. A backup including Media showing the prescribed use of Places, Place Details, Sources, Alternate Name and many other features would be a good reference for the many new users who have joined the ranks in recent years. Would take a bit of thinking out on the part of the RM team but I believe well worth it.

Maybe Renee will move this to the wish list.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

I am confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic