64 replies to this topic

#61 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

Until the direct import does put Memo values that fit into Description fields, this outboard query can be of help: http://sqlitetoolsfo... to Description

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#62 RonB

RonB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Helmut,

RM wants to attract new customers, but it does not mean that RM should make major changes that will have impact on their current customers.  Many of us currently using RM have used or at least tried using TMG.  For various reasons, I personally made a conscious decision not to continue using TMG quite some time ago.  For that reason, I agree that RM should make an effort to accommodate TMG users where possible, but I'm sure most of us will agree that we do not want RootsMagic to become a TMG clone.  In that respect, I have to agree with Laura - if RootsMagic does not satisfy your needs, then I respectfully submit that you will need to continue searching for a program that is exactly like TMG.  I am positive that you will not find such a program.

Ron Bernier

#63 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

After working with RM for a few days, I'm not sure I would necessarily want the TMG Memo field to always wind up in the Description field.  Yes if the Memo text is part of a sentence, no if it is not.  It's not really the size that's an issue (for me), but how I use the Memo field in a particular circumstance.  Sometimes I use it just as the Description field is used in RM, and sometimes it's more like RM's note field. 

Also, Tom's post above suggests there is a size limit on the Description field (I think I remember seeing 100 characters, but I'm not sure, and would appreciate instruction on this point).  That being the case, I would strongly prefer the Notes field as a destination rather than risk losing any data.

I believe this is one of those things that's going to vary a great deal among TMG users. Maybe the best option is default use of the Notes field, with Tom's query to pick up the slack.

Speaking of which, Tom, I have several questions about RM and SQL.  Where is the best place to ask them?

#64 hlein

hlein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hi Ron Bernier,

I agree with you. Making RM a clone of TMG would be a bad idea and I never intended to. As I said in another post, in my opinion RM today is a step ahead of the others.

I still think that TMG has some features/goodies used by many TMG-users (not everyone, there are a lot of ways to work with TMG) that could be valuable also for existing RM users. That does not mean the features would have to be cloned, it should just give ideas for the evolution of RM.

Maybe I should post my requests in the Wishlist forum (I was thinking this thread would also be read by developers and was not aware it is a users help users forum. My apologies for that.).

Regards

Helmut

#65 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

I read all the forum posts and enter all the issues and enhancement requests into our development tracking system. So they are being seen regardless of where they are. The Wish List forum helps to maintain focus on potentially new features for RootsMagic, giving users a place to comment on them.  Sometimes enhancement requests in that forum turn out to be features that are already available in RootsMagic. I will move it from the Wish List to the other forums as needed.

This pinned forum thread has become really long so I stopped saying over and over I was confirming items were noted in the tracking system. I'm closing this thread and will let you start new discussions on the TMG import. It would be best to keep each thread on just one feature at at time.

You can use the Discussion, Issues, and Wish List forums as they apply.  

Renee
RootsMagic