6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'm not sure if I directly placed this on the wish list before but I do know it has been discussed before.

I work to include historical and explanatory notes in both Places and Place Details along with appropriate Media. The problem is that the only place I can see these at present is within the Place List itself and the media is the file path and not a thumbnail.

This is probably fine as regards the Place list where it is a factual report but where I would like to see Notes and a Media thumbnail is in the Place Index of the Narrative Report. This would need to be an option to suit all users and individual needs but it should be a simple option add to the Index Settings.

placenotes.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 haleswd

haleswd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

I tried to find this, but I was unable to do so.  Has this enhancement been implemented yet?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

I tried to find this, but I was unable to do so.  Has this enhancement been implemented yet?

NO

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

A list of linked media for a Place and Place details in the right pane that prints by option in the Place list report, Yes. Thumbnails by option, Maybe.

In the Place index for a report, NO. I have more than one media file linked to several places. I don't want to have to scroll down, possibly several pages, in a report to even see the next Place in the Place index.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:44 AM

In the Place index for a report, NO. I have more than one media file linked to several places. I don't want to have to scroll down, possibly several pages, in a report to even see the next Place in the Place index.

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly but if a single media file was linked to more than one Place then I have difficulty imagining why. Each Place and Place Details (within Master Place) is unique so Geocoding, Notes and Media for those Place and Place Details should also be unique. For Places, Webtags should pertain to the Place itself and also be distinct, using any of these components in a non standard fashion to suit personal needs could not be programmed for.

As an enhancement to reports I have long envisaged the option for an Appendix to reports with options to include Place and Place Details Notes and Media, Notes fields could also privatize curly bracketted information. This desire came about from people reading my reports and the questions were often "where was....?" place or place details. An appendix containing the Place and Place Details which were used in the report would overcome this need and, I believe, provide a quality enhancement to Rootsmagic reporting.

To provide Options each Place and Place Details could have a checkbox to report Media or not and of course only the primary Media would be included so the option to make primary would be necessary. In the present Place List there is an indication that Media, Notes and Geocoding exist for Place Details (when the Master Place is highlighted) but this indication for the Master Place is missing until it is highlighted.

Finally there is no search or filtering option to display those Place and Place Details which are missing the important add on information of Geocoding, Notes and Media, I would like to see this in the next version.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: places, geocoding, reports, media