• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dalehein

dalehein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

I have about 100 cards in the Ordinance cards section -- the place where you can indicate who has each card, and almost every one is blue.  There are about a dozen SS cards and they are blue, too.  There are only 4 pink (female) cards and about half of the hundred cards I have are female. 

Also, I don't get the color coding.  Wouldn't it be better if the box is gray when the ordinance is complete like it is in Family Tree? In my card list gray seems to apply to everything -- completed, not necessary, not available.  I am so confused.  I've been comparing the card list to the RM ordinance list and the individual records in RM and I can't figure out what information the program used to create the card list.  The gender is correct in the ordinance list and in the individual records, too, so why are all the cards blue and only a 2 yellow and 4 pink?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

FamilySearch is in the process of moving the temple ordinance tracking system from the (old) new.familysearch.org website over to the Family Tree on www.familysearch.org . This has broken some areas in the Temple Work section off of the FamilySearch Central Dashboard in RootsMagic.  I can't even get my ordinances to even load any more. Right now I wouldn't recommend using it because it's simply not stable. We are waiting for FamilySearch to complete the move before we can even begin addressing any remaining issues in that part of the program. 

The way the cards used to work is it would only generate a card after it was printed at the temple and before the ordinances were done. So if you printed a temple card for a baptism and completed it before going home, never opening up the Card tab in RootsMagic then no card would ever be generated. If instead you went home and opened the card tab then a card would appear for that ordinance. Once a card was generated it would not be removed unless you did so manually. 

Right now we cannot guarantee any of that is working properly. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 rivkavdg

rivkavdg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

I know it's only been 4 months, but are you seeing any improvements to the familysearch system yet? Or, are you getting any feedback in how long it might take them to complete the transfer?  

ALL of my cards (including ones that should be yellow or pink) are blue.  There are also several people whose work is done that I have tried to remove, but whose names reappear each time I log in.  At least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

Right now its not looking very promising that FamilySearch will fix this. They have told us they are removing this from the API, but we are just holding our breath to see if that is a reality or not.  No date for the full removal has been given.

If you can open the Temple Work icon off the FamilySearch Central Dashboard then I HIGHLY recommend you make a note elsewhere of all your cards. There is no report in RootsMagic that will print this information off. You could print a screen shot of the people with printed cards off the Temple tab on FamilySearch. Then note everyone you assigned that card to.

I actually created a custom FSFT fact in RootsMagic that only has the description field enabled. I use a code system in the description field to let me know the status. One of them is Card. Then in the notes I write something like "Card: YOUTH - BC" so I can filter a group based on the codes or notes and print out a custom report of who has what cards.  It's actually an easier system then the Temple Work area ever used to be. You can use the top level filter on the FamilySearch Person Tools sidebar index (off the links on the dashboard) using the groups to focus on specific areas.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 jhaufe

jhaufe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

I have this same problem, but now it has gone a step further.  I am getting the HTTP/1.1 405 Method not allowed message.  I always did my reservation through family search, but I liked being able to keep track of my cards using the cards section in the family search temple ordinance tools.  This is the place where I keep track of who has what temple cards. I have over 500 cards and most of them have been given to family members and not to the temple.  It would be great to understand how to go about keeping track of my cards now that this function doesn't work.  I have had the blue card issue for a long time, but now I am getting the HTTP/1.1 405 Method not allowed message.  It was so easy to go to this cards section and then when the work was completed it showed up at a glance that the card had been done. Most times it had a check mark by the name, but sometimes it had a date when the temple work had been completed.  It was great to see at a glance and to keep track of my cards.  You can't do that on the family search website.  When the work is done it just disappears from your temple list.

I did not understand how you went about keeping track of your temple cards in the previous post. I did understand that you made a custom fact for family search family tree, but then you have to make a custom report if you want to keep track of your cards.  The part I didn't understand was the coding and how that works with the report.  PLEASE HELP before I totally loose who has my temple cards.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

I created a custom fact called FSFT with only a description field. I will put "Card" in the description field.  Then in the note section I will write

Card: [name of person with card] - BCIEPS

(for baptism, confirmation, initiatory, endowment, sealing to parent, and sealing to spouse). The letter will be only for the ordinances they have the card for.

If I shared the ordinances with the temple I write Shared in the description field. Then in the notes I write.

Shared: BCIEPS (for whatever ordinances I shared)

Sometimes I will write in the description field: Card, Shared

Then in the notes

Card: YOUTH - BC

Shared: IEPS

This tells me I gave the cards to the youth in my ward and the temple will do the rest of the ordinances.

To get a list of those card I gave the youth I will first create a group. Mark Group>Select people by data field

FSFT - note - contains - youth

Then with a custom report I use the following fields

Col 1 Name - Surname, Prefix Given Suffix

Col 2 RIN - Record Number

Col 3 Birth - Birth date

Col 4 FS ID - FamilySearch ID

Col 5 Note - FSFT note

Before you click to Generate Report select the group you made earlier. Only those individuals will appear in the report.

If you want to create a group out of codes in the description field the filter is "Value". It's important to also use "Contains" because equal won't work if there are other codes in the description field.

Some of the codes I use in the description field are: Card, Shared, Not-Printed, Temple-Done, Temple-Pending, Research, Permission, Living, Pre-1500 

When I am working with Sealings I keep track that they are ready in the note field with the following: 

Card: SEAL - P

Not-Printed: SEAL - S

I will search on those exact phrases so I get the results I want.

I will use the filters inside the FamilySearch Person Tools in the sidebar index to look at those groups. If I want to know what cards were completed by the temple these are the filters:

1st level: Shared (group I created)

2nd level: People with temple work completed (It will open to this if you click on the "Done" link on FamilySearch Central.)

As I've showed people how I've set mine up I always encourage them to use codes that mean something to them. I've seen a lot of different systems now. The important thing is to be consistent in what you name things. That way the filters will work for you. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 jhaufe

jhaufe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Wow!!!!  Thank you so much.  I made the custom fact Family Search Family Tree (FSFT) Using the description above.  It is taking me quite a while to include this fact for each person that I have on my temple list because I have 301 people to include this fact to.  Of course my temple list says that I have 531 names, but that is because I have people who need sealing to spouse work done.  On the temple list the male and female are both listed and I am only including them to the males since I keep my sealing to Spouse cards organized by male name.  I also have some people where I have shared to the temple and then want to do the Sealing to Parents when the other ordinances work is done so I have waiting for Ordinance work ones. Once I get this done, it won't be so hard to keep up with because I can then just add this fact to people as I reserve their names for temple work.  

I have never created a custom fact before so this is all new territory for me.  I have never created a custom report either.  So I am using parts of this program that I have never used before.  I am learning lots.  Thank you Renee.

I then made groups using the information that I put in the notes.  I made a group for each person who I have given cards to.  Then I created that custom report using the group I made for all my printed cards. I will also do a group for shared to temple cards and a group for needs to print cards.  

This works and is a good way for me to keep track of who has temple cards now that the other way doesn't work.  I can still keep track of all my temple cards that I have given to family members.  

The only thing is, I LOVED being able to look at a glance to see what cards were done and a date showed up when the work was completed at the temple.  That was how I used the Cards tab on the family search temple ordinance tool anyways.  It would of been nice to have a box to click in this area to copy the dates the temple work was completed into my roots magic database.  Especially when doing baptism, and sealing's because you complete multiple peoples ordinance work during one temple trip.  Maybe family search would allow you to do this if all you were doing was copying temple dates into your database for multiple people with the same date.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Glad to see you could follow my steps to see what I was talking about. It sounds way more complicated then it actually is to use and keep updated.

The only thing is, I LOVED being able to look at a glance to see what cards were done and a date showed up when the work was completed at the temple.  That was how I used the Cards tab on the family search temple ordinance tool anyways.  It would of been nice to have a box to click in this area to copy the dates the temple work was completed into my roots magic database.  Especially when doing baptism, and sealing's because you complete multiple peoples ordinance work during one temple trip.  Maybe family search would allow you to do this if all you were doing was copying temple dates into your database for multiple people with the same date.

I follow the part where you talking about the old temple card area in RootsMagic and how it used to work, and an enhancement you would like to see there, but I'm afraid FamilySearch won't be making any changes there. At least that's the last acknowledgement we have had from them. 

I guess I'm not following if you were seeing a way to do it somewhere else in the program. We've had people request that we automatically update the ordinances and add them to the person's facts so that is in the tracking system. I don't know personally if I would like that because something added automatically to my database would mess up the tracking system I have setup. So if that is ever added it would have to be an option.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 jhaufe

jhaufe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

I guess I'm not following if you were seeing a way to do it somewhere else in the program. We've had people request that we automatically update the ordinances and add them to the person's facts so that is in the tracking system.

I too would not like to see the dates automatically updated to my database.  I was suggesting another way to use the cards tab that family search might let rootsmagic do.  Right now it sounds like they want people to go to the family search website and create the temple ordinance requests from their website, which is fine and the way I do it anyway.

But there is the temple list on family search and so there should be a temple list on rootsmagic.  It could look similar and have the same color coding as family search but instead of the boxes to print ordinance request forms to take to the temple to get the cards printed those boxes would allow you to click the people from your temple list who you did work for. For example I go to the temple and I do 25 baptisms and confirmations.  Right now I have to go to the ordinance tab on Family search central and click on each individual to copy the temple dates to their file.  I have to do that for all 25 people.  Same with sealing to parents or spouse.  I go and do about 40 sealing's and when I come home I have to go to each individual person and copy the dates to each person for that sealing session.  

Instead use the temple work button in family search central to have it bring up your temple list from family search. You then click on each person that you did baptism and confirmations for that day.  You input the date or have rootsmagic copy the date for all 25 baptisms and confirmation at the same time.  Once those dates are imputed into our database then the  color changes from Green (Printed)  to completed or a line like what you see on your temple list in family search. The only thing I would suggest is that the people stay on your temple list until you have copied the dates and then remove them manually from your list in rootsmagic.  Right now on family search once the work is done, it automatically is removed from your temple list.

I know that there is that reservation button under the temple work button on family search central, but it looks nothing like family search, its not color coded like family search and is very cumbersome to use so I never use it.  Instead of making reservations we could use it to copy the temple work completed for that day using the people on our temple list instead of using our whole database to copy the ordinance work after going to the temple.

The ordinance tab in family search central is great when you are working with one individual to share and copy information back and forth for that person, but when you have multiple people with the same date and you are doing the temple work yourself for that person the temple work tab would be a great place to do that for multiple people using your temple list from family search.

That is what I was suggesting and I hope this explanation makes sense.  Its kind of similar with the ordinance tab, but instead of using all the names in your database you are only using the names from your temple list and this temple tab would bring up your temple list from family search.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

We just received confirmation from FamilySearch that they turned off the temple card endpoint on Jan 15th. This was their official date but we were never aware of an actual date it would happen. In the next update the Temple Work icon on the FamilySearch Central Dashboard will be removed. We cannot implement any changes in that area because there is nothing that will feed it.

If you are still able to open the Temple Work section and see any information there it is old data and will not update.

The only area you can see temple ordinances and make reservations in RootsMagic is under the FamilySearch Person Tools on the Ordinance tab. All other temple work activity needs to be made on FamilySearch.org under Temple.

Renee
RootsMagic