• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 srichards

srichards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

I received a gedcom from a lady in Sweden. She created it off of MyHeritage.com. I couldn't get RM to import it after I created a new file to put it into. I ended up going back to MyHeritage.com and creating a new file in there so that I could read the gedcom.

When you talk about 'drag and drop' does that mean JUST between 2 RM databases or can I 'drag and drop' between a RM database and a MyHeritage file or any other gedcom from another genealogy program?

I checked in the Users book I have but when it talks about 'databases' it doesn't say whether it is between 2 RM databases....

I hope this makes sense.

Susan Richards

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Drag and Drop is between two RM databases.

#3 srichards

srichards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thank you Laura!

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

I received a gedcom from a lady in Sweden. She created it off of MyHeritage.com. I couldn't get RM to import it after I created a new file to put it into. I ended up going back to MyHeritage.com and creating a new file in there so that I could read the gedcom.

When you say "couldn't get RM to import it"... what exactly occurred when you tried to import? Error message?
Or did it go through the motions, but wind up with nobody seemingly imported? Or what? I believe every GEDCOM import into Rootsmagic creates a listing file in the same directory as the GEDCOM file and it is named after the GEDCOM name and suffixed with a .LST file extension. It typically includes the lines from the .GED file that RM could not understand / import.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N