2 replies to this topic

#1 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi all, I will probably become a user of RootsMagic, but first, a couple of questions. I have 15 years of genealogy background. I also have my own website and would want to incorporate RootsMagic output in that website, instead of using the RootsMagic servers.

1. Would I have any difficulty incorporating RootsMagic output into my own website?

2. What version of HTML does RootsMagic make? Is the HTML output compliant?

3. I looked at the huge list of member websites and was unable to determine which website might be located on a personal server, instead of RootsMagic servers -- just too many to go through. Would someone be kind enough to list 3 or 4 websites that are personal websites (not using RootsMagic servers)?

4. I believe I read (in this Forum) that once a Source is attached to an item it cannot be removed -- ever (EGAD!). Did I read this correctly?

Thank you for any help and words of wisdom you might have for me. Tom  :)

It's been real... It's been fun...

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

1. No.
2. There are two website outputs: Publish Online which uses style sheets and JavaScript and the older Create HTML which generates static pages. Both are staged on your local drive. RootsMagic includes a utility to upload from Publish Online to my.rootsmagic.com but you can use other means to upload either one to another host.
3. Search using the terms [created "with rootsmagic genealogy software"] sans brackets to find many examples of a RootsMagic-generated website or web pages incorporated in sites and on servers other than RootsMagic's.
4. No.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thank you so much! I'm a happy camper.  :)

It's been real... It's been fun...