7 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have noticed a disconnect between Gazetteer and Geocode my places. Even when the place is directly copied from the Gazetteer it is not picked up during Geocode my Places, see below.

http://www.vyger.co.uk/gazetteer.mp4

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

I've always understood them to not be the same thing. The Gazetteer is an extra tool, but the Place database is what is used for Geocoding.

From the Help file:

Gazetteer provides a quick and easy way to find a city, town, or other locality.

GeoCoding means to match the places in your database with a place in the 3.5 million name place database included with RootsMagic.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

I've always understood them to not be the same thing. The Gazetteer is an extra tool, but the Place database is what is used for Geocoding.

Interesting although the act on accepting the match on the Gazetteer window results in the Standardized Plane Name and co-ordinates being added to the Place entry?

On the contrary I always understood the Place database to be the Gazetteer?

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Ah, it's more confusing than I thought -> http://support.roots...lace-Finder-go-

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

And hard to find any file that might be the Gazetteer. Maybe it is compiled into the exe.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

I believe this is the Gazetteer

placedb.png

Edit: Just read Kevin's link and now I am confused as to where the file is, although it is a standalone reference and not online.

need to clean up my computer more often <_<

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I believe the Gazetteer uses the Place Database but they are separate tools, that is why the Geocoding did not appear. I have to ask the RootsMagician about the details on it. I did add Vyger's video and the comment on the disconnect as an enhancement request to our tracking system, for the Geocoding to come over with the copy from the Gazetteer. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Renee,

I was not expecting the geocoding to appear on the paste to place action but with that Place now being an exact match to what was in the Gazetteer I was very surprised it was not automatically geocoded.

I am sure a lot of folk on here would like to know more of how this is meant to work as it is just not accepting any variations of this Place, exact or otherwise as a match.

On the other hand entering Belfast, Northern Ireland as the Place and selecting Geocode my Places gets automatically accepted and geocoded with the Standardized Place Name being populated with Belfast, Belfast City, Antrim, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. That's how it should be working but for some reason it fails on some entries.

Root