55 replies to this topic

#41 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Looks like the floating point problem is still a problem.

I have been working most of the afternoon and am now getting invalid floating point operation error messages.

I don't know what the problem is but I had a similar type problem when I was using RM7 and Parallels but it was a memory problem.

One question for others who are running RM7 under crossover. Are you having the same problem? If not can you give me some directions on how you have crossover installed and set up to run RM7?

Thanks

Roger

#42 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:54 AM

One question for others who are running RM7 under crossover. Are you having the same problem? If not can you give me some directions on how you have crossover installed and set up to run RM7?ThanksRoger

I run both RM6 and RM7 under CrossOver, though as my "production" use is still on RM6, I have used that more than RM7 in the last few weeks. However, I have NEVER seen the problem under CrossOver, only under MacBridge, both with RM6 and RM7.

What are you wanting to know about the RM7 installation under CrossOver? I used the unofficial Tie for RM7 - CrossOver officially supports RM3 to RM6, but not RM7 (unless that has changed recently). The only problem I had was in defining the folders for my RM files - for some reason the RM "file manager browse" function just hangs in the latest couple of levels of CrossOver V14, but the way round that is to switch the Virtual machine type from Windows XP to Windows 7, use the browse function to point to the folders, and then switch the virtual machine type back to Windows XP. (This has been accepted by CossOver as a bug with RM6 and they suggested the bypass, which has worked fine for me on both RM6 and RM7.)

I'm currently using Yosemite 10.10.1, though was running Mavericks 10.9.5 until the beginning of December.

Does that help? Please feel free to ask any supplementaries.

#43 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the offer hope it's not too much problems

I am having the following problems with MacBridge and am trying to decide if it would be worth it to go directly with crossover.

The problems are 1)Floating point errors 2) Can't close the program using command Q, 3) When I open the program I have to resize the window every time as it dose not remember the settings. 4) No option to email a report

3) can be solved using a utility which cost $15 or just shrink it myself. 2) is very minor 4) I can get by without but it was nice
1 is are more serious but I am still wondering if the cost of Crossover is worth the effort and cost?

I have just switched to Yosemite 10.10.1 and was using Parallels before. In order to continue to run this I would have had to upgrade Parallels. I decided now was the time to switch and I am not sorry I did but just some Items I would like to fix.

One other question is where do you store your RM database file? I have mine stored on the iMac hard drive wonder if I should have it somewhere else? I know with parallels if you stored it on the iMac hard drive it was slow but if I put it in the C: drive it ran much faster.

Thanks
Roger

#44 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:14 PM

I run both RM6 and RM7 under CrossOver, though as my "production" use is still on RM6, I have used that more than RM7 in the last few weeks. However, I have NEVER seen the problem under CrossOver, only under MacBridge, both with RM6 and RM7.

What are you wanting to know about the RM7 installation under CrossOver? I used the unofficial Tie for RM7 - CrossOver officially supports RM3 to RM6, but not RM7 (unless that has changed recently). The only problem I had was in defining the folders for my RM files - for some reason the RM "file manager browse" function just hangs in the latest couple of levels of CrossOver V14, but the way round that is to switch the Virtual machine type from Windows XP to Windows 7, use the browse function to point to the folders, and then switch the virtual machine type back to Windows XP. (This has been accepted by CossOver as a bug with RM6 and they suggested the bypass, which has worked fine for me on both RM6 and RM7.)

I'm currently using Yosemite 10.10.1, though was running Mavericks 10.9.5 until the beginning of December.

Does that help? Please feel free to ask any supplementaries.

I'm trying out CrossOver. I have the same problem not being able to define the folders ..... it hangs. So, my question is ..... how do I change the virtual machine type from Win XP to Windows 7? 

Thanks,

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#45 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:33 AM

I'm trying out CrossOver. I have the same problem not being able to define the folders ..... it hangs. So, my question is ..... how do I change the virtual machine type from Win XP to Windows 7?

When you start Crossover, you get a window that shows the "bottles" on the left. Select the RM7 one, and in the bottom half of the window there should be a number of Control Panels. Start the "Wine Configuration" and the Windows Version can be selected at the bottom. (The DPI can be changed after selecting the Graphics tab.)

Just use this setting to define the RM folders and then stop RM and change back to Windows XP. (I found that RM6 was quite happy to run with the Windows 7 setting, but RM7 immediately suffered from various program exceptions.)

When setting up your folder settings, you can either type in the full path or use the browse option to find your way to your folders (which must already exist). In my case, the paths look like this Y:\Documents\RM\CO-RM6\Files, for example.

Hope this moves you forward.

#46 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

Thank you, J P for your quick reply. That gave me the needed info......... But, it didn't work for me. I changed to Win 7, clicked apply, then OK, and launched the RM7 from CrossOver. Before I can do anything, though, I get an error message coming up "External Exception C06D007F." It won't allow me to do anything. Before trying to change the folder settings, I had been playing with RM7 under CrossOver and can see that the floating point error never occurred and I was able to change the DPI settings to something more acceptable for me. Now to figure out this folder setting issue. Any ideas on what this error is all about? I do have my original RM7 under MacBridge still installed...... but not open. Both use the same database,

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#47 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

Thank you, J P for your quick reply. That gave me the needed info......... But, it didn't work for me. I changed to Win 7, clicked apply, then OK, and launched the RM7 from CrossOver. Before I can do anything, though, I get an error message coming up "External Exception C06D007F." It won't allow me to do anything. Before trying to change the folder settings, I had been playing with RM7 under CrossOver and can see that the floating point error never occurred and I was able to change the DPI settings to something more acceptable for me. Now to figure out this folder setting issue. Any ideas on what this error is all about? I do have my original RM7 under MacBridge still installed...... but not open. Both use the same database,

Sorry but I'm out of ideas - it just worked for me. I'm a little confused by your reference to playing with RM7 under CrossOver. That suggests that you were using an RM file without problems and I assume that it was being stored somewhere. Am I missing something?

Just one thing, though. Until you get things working OK (note the confident tone there), I would suggest that you use separate directories for MacBridge and CrossOver. Just duplicate what you have already and, when you can, point the folder definitions as required.

#48 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

Sorry but I'm out of ideas - it just worked for me. I'm a little confused by your reference to playing with RM7 under CrossOver. That suggests that you were using an RM file without problems and I assume that it was being stored somewhere. Am I missing something?

Just one thing, though. Until you get things working OK (note the confident tone there), I would suggest that you use separate directories for MacBridge and CrossOver. Just duplicate what you have already and, when you can, point the folder definitions as required.

I have been using RM7 under MacBridge with success except for the invalid floating point issue popping up quite often and the font size issue. I decided to try using CrossOver directly as I'd read that those problems were not an issue using CO. I just had hoped to avoid the above issues with CrossOver.

RM7 is in two directories on my computer ....... the normal Applications folder and the CrossOver folder within my user directory/Applications. I was already using RM7 when I started with CrossOver and downloaded a fresh copy of RM7 to use with it. I am using the same database file for each copy of the app but not at the same time. 

As an experiment, I just duplicated my database file and moved it to another location. I launched RM7 from CrossOver (Win 7 VM). It launched OK but when I tried to open the duplicate database file I had moved to another location, I got the error message.

Oh well. It's not a huge deal. I would have liked to get it working correctly, to use RM without the floating point error and the font size problem. But, I will just continue to use RM7 under MacBridge and wait impatiently for a native Mac version.

Thank you for trying to help!

Kathy

#49 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

As an experiment, I've just played with my RM7 under CrossOver setup. At present, the bottle is set to Windows XP. When I go into modify the folders using the browse "...", it hangs and I have to force quit RM7. However, if I type into one of the fields, it will quite happily accept a change. Have you tried just typing in the full path name, such as Y:\Documents\RM\CO-RM7\Files. The Y disk is mapped by CrossOver to your Mac home directory. Note the direction of the (back) slashes. 

#50 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

As an experiment, I just duplicated my database file and moved it to another location. I launched RM7 from CrossOver (Win 7 VM). It launched OK but when I tried to open the duplicate database file I had moved to another location, I got the error message.

This suggests to me that RM7 is trying to open a file and I demonstrated that if I did that BEFORE specifying the folders AND switching back to Windows XP, then I did indeed get similar errors (or certainly nasty errors). It sounds like you need to specify the folders before attempting to open an RM file. Unfortunately, it sounds like RM is trying to open a file before you have a chance to do anything. I think - and note the THINK - that you probably need to delete the RM7 bottle and then reinstall RM7 using the tie. That should give you an RM7 that doesn't have any knowledge of files and therefore will open with a blank screen. Then set the folders, followed by opening an existing file. I did the folders stuff using Windows 7 but had to then switch back before I could open a file without getting nasty errors. I suspect that if you type in the full path names for your folders, you may just avoid having to do the Windows 7 step.

Note that there is quite a lot of guesswork in the above.

#51 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

As an experiment, I've just played with my RM7 under CrossOver setup. At present, the bottle is set to Windows XP. When I go into modify the folders using the browse "...", it hangs and I have to force quit RM7. However, if I type into one of the fields, it will quite happily accept a change. Have you tried just typing in the full path name, such as Y:\Documents\RM\CO-RM7\Files. The Y disk is mapped by CrossOver to your Mac home directory. Note the direction of the (back) slashes. 

LOL ....... That worked! I just pasted in the path in all fields that I wanted and it all worked as it should. (From CrossOver using Win XP virtual machine.) That was just way too easy, which is why I didn't figure it out myself, LOL. Functional fixedness, that's me.  :)  Anyway, thank you again J P!

Kathy

#52 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

LOL ....... That worked! I just pasted in the path in all fields that I wanted and it all worked as it should. (From CrossOver using Win XP virtual machine.) That was just way too easy, which is why I didn't figure it out myself, LOL. Functional fixedness, that's me.   :)  Anyway, thank you again J P!

Great. (That is why I like the RM forums - lots of followers who are happy to chip in when they can.)

On the DPI front, I've decided that 200 is too high and am now back down to 160. It is a compromise, but am doing a lot of FSFT stuff this afternoon (UK time) and the side by side display was displaying too little at 200.

#53 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

Great. (That is why I like the RM forums - lots of followers who are happy to chip in when they can.)

On the DPI front, I've decided that 200 is too high and am now back down to 160. It is a compromise, but am doing a lot of FSFT stuff this afternoon (UK time) and the side by side display was displaying too little at 200.

Well, these old eyes are using 140 dpi.  :)  Now if I could just get it to close a window when I press command+w rather than bring up web tags, I'd be totally happy.  :)

Kathy

#54 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

I have loaded the trial of Crossover and have it working with RM7 thanks to all the suggestions and it seems to be working great with no errors. It even remembers the screen settings and opens the window the same place it was when it was closed.

I have one question
When I start up RM7 it also starts crossover which I understand.

When I close RM7 it leaves crossover still running. Is there a way to make it close crossover also?

Thanks
Roger

#55 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

When I close RM7 it leaves crossover still running. Is there a way to make it close crossover also?

Not that I am aware. In my case, I have 3 bottles (virtual machines) that I can start, 2 of which are RM6 and RM7. It doesn't make much sense to automatically stop CrossOver when one of them stops, though it would be a nice-to-have preference, particularly when you only have one bottle. Perhaps raise it as an issue with CrossOver - there may just be a way.

What I do notice is that starting CrossOver takes significantly longer than starting RM, so unless you are very short of memory, I don't see that leaving CrossOver sitting there is too much of an issue.

#56 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

I just noticed something strange .... at least I think so. Like a lot of others, I was getting the floating point error very often..... every time I left RM to work in another app. So, I tried out CrossOver for a few days with RM7 and decided I didn't like it enough to purchase it. I was using the same database but two different copies of the RM app. So, back I went to using RM under MacBridge. In the last two days since I've been back using RM under MacBridge, I have not had one, single floating point error! Not being a programmer or software engineer of any type, I don't know if that is significant to figuring out this problem? I just wanted to report it. 

Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: error report, log file