#21 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

As I've just had this problem, I'll add some more information -

First, I've been using RM under CrossOver for almost a year and not had this problem. Have just started up MacBridge and it failed with this problem whilst I wasn't actually accessing RM but these forums. When I went back to RM, it was sitting there with the error. (By "went back to", I use multiple desktops (or Spaces) with RM on one desktop and my browser - Firefox - on another. I 3 finger swipe between the 2 using a Trackpad.)

I'm using Mavericks 10.9.4 (10.9.5 waiting to be installed) on a mid-2008 4GB iMac. (My CrossOver is currently at 13.2.0, but I've used all versions 12.5.0 without any great problem.) 

Note that I subsequently ran all the database tools and they were all clean. I was running using copies of my CrossOver/RM folders.

OK, just had the problem again. It definitely occurred whilst I was accessing the forums and with RM sitting there with a Pedigree display panel. Previously I had accessed one of the people in that display and looked at one of their facts, and also brought up the first FSFT panel for a matched person - and probably also looked at the FSFT information for one of the facts in that panel. However, I had returned to the pedigree display before switching to the desktop containing the browser. Switching back to the desktop containing RM and the error pop-up was sitting there (or popped up so quickly that I was unaware that it was only happening at that time).

Both my MacBridge and CrossOver RMs are at 6.3.2.0.

#22 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I am encountering this error, too. Like some others, it seems to happen when I switch to another running program on my computer. When I switch back to RM, the error is there. It just happened on the Family view for me when I switched back from using Safari. 

I am running 10.9.4 on my MacBook Pro. No, I'm not using the same RM database on my Mac and on my copy of RM in Parallels. RM is not even running on Parallels, which is, in fact, not running at all (Parallels).

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Does the "invalid floating point operation" error message appear at random times with random screens? If we could get just a pattern on what screen people are on when it happens the most. Would like to see if there is a pattern when the error message appears when the program was simply left sitting.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#24 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Just got another one ..... I left RM, worked in other apps, left RM the frontmost app with the Edit Person screen active and the computer went to sleep. Upon waking the computer, the error was there. I believe I've gotten them with every screen/view in RM.

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#25 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

If it helps, I am now getting this error in Parallels.  My virtual PC is a windows XP machine and not 7 or 8.  I chose to keep it under XP because it's pretty much an isolated walled garden setup and I am not too concerned about viruses since all web calls go out via safari.

However I'm now getting the same floating point error in Parallels, which makes me wonder if MacBridge did something to slightly corrupt the database.  I've rebuilt it in Parallels and I do not have any intention of running MacBridge for a while because there is a terrible bug in entering sources.  As it redraws the source previews it locks up and crashes.

Allen

#26 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

This last time was on the Family view. I had been working in it, stopped to answer the phone, and the error message popped up before my eyes. Hopefully with this feedback, you folks can figure it out. It seems fairly random to me.

Kathy

#27 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

You have my datafile... still getting them did another Integrity check and got

Integrity check results:

rowid 166 missing from index idxPlaceName

---

I repair my database over and over and still have problems with floating point.

#28 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

This time when I compact my file I get ...

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:  SQLite Error 1 - cannot VACCUUM - SQL statement in pr.

I've sent the error report...

Can't vacuum... I would say that sucks but obviously not :-)

Allen

#29 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

The VACCUUM error message usually happens on the Compact Database tool after using FamilySearch.  Close the program and reopen and then use File>Database Tools>Compact database. It should be fine now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#30 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm new to the RootsMagic Forum but not to working with RootsMagic or running the software on Macs with little difficulty, having done so for a considerable  time using Wineskin, an Opensource Mac front end for Wine.  Yes, some RootsMagic features don't work, but the one's that don't are not likely to be particularly significant for the majority of users and there are effective workarounds for most of these 'issues'.  It's even possible to use RootsMagic's separate Charting application and also to create a RootsMagic to Go Drive, with a little manipulation of a Wine-based conversion.

What I've learnt through my experience and research is that "Invalid Floating Point Operation" errors in Wine conversions of Windows software are invariably linked to Windows drive mapping issues, i.e. a Wine based conversion (which includes RootsMagic's MacBridge) needs to access user data through the 'Network Drive Z' and not any 'falsely identified Drive C'.   The same sort of issues can arise when using Windows Portable Applications on networked computer systems or when using Virtual Widows Systems on Macs both of which rely on drive mapping/sharing.  In RootsMagic User Preferences, default Folders for user data files also need to be set to the appropriate locations on 'Drive Z'  These preferences have also to be entered manually in Wine conversions because a RootsMagic will not allow you to simply navigate to and select the Folders you want to use as defaults. 

In short, Wine converted applications need to be treated as individual virtual computers using the Mac Documents Folder as a network drive ('z').  If MacBridge does not recognise this and handle it correctly, there are bound to be issues. I'm not sure if this is the case, having not used MacBridge personally, but it is a distinct possibility. All very confusing for Mac owners who are used to named drives and not drive letters and/or for the Windows programmer/developer who has limited experience of Macs/Linux/WineApps.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#31 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Mervyn,
In MacBridge Tools > Program Options > Folders are mine all set to Y:\ after simply navigating to the appropriate folders within MacBridge via a Finder dialogue.

Under parallels mine are all set to the mapped D:\ folders for consistency with my Win7  setup

I have never noticed the floating point message under parallels, but did find one of them in the crash log.

Only notice the error under MacBridge, with the only common factor noticeable being when returning to RM after doing something else.

#32 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

I kept working, which was probably a mistake as I then found that my data had not been saved.

I do find that the loss of data happens if you are in the middle of something, eg entering a source, working on the detail, and get distracted.

Up comes the floating point error, and your entered data, as yet unsaved, has gone, not just the detail text, but also the citation data already entered but not saved.

#33 JJSteele

JJSteele

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

Has there been any progress on this? I'm a computer programmer and isolate complex problems in my work. I have yet to figure out a pattern on the Invalid Floating Point Operation error messages other than I have left the RootsMagic window sit (while reading a document) or gone to a web browser to look up something.  My guess is that there is perhaps a memory leak or something in a context switch since it's not the active window? I have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro running Yosemite  (OS/X 10.10). I have parallels but I am NOT running Roots Magic in Parallels. 

#34 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

Development is still working on it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#35 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

Glad to hear that Renee.

I've given up using MacBridge, again, and gone back to running under Parallels.

Primarily because of this floating point error.

I got sick of losing eg half completed source citations I was half way thru doing if I went off to check something.

FWIW when I finally transferred back to RM6 I forgot to check the db integrity before switching, but the next I ran under Parallels again showed a list of missing index values.

which hadn't been showing up as a problem at all under MacBridge.

Nor since under Parallels.

Secondary reason was because of the lack/inconsistent availability of  keyboard text manipulation shortcuts, eg to jump to next word, hold shift/jump to select word etc etc.

They are available in the main large note/text type fields, but in very few of smaller fields.

#36 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

Still happening in Version 7.

I experienced my first occurrence within an hour of installing MacBridge v7, several since, and have just had my half entered source disappear while I looked up something to enter in it.

Back to RM7 under Parallels again.

#37 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

MacBridge for RootsMagic 7 has not changed at all, other than now having RootsMagic 7 Essentials included instead of version 6. The invalid floating point operation message has still not been resolved by development. Not every user is receiving it. You can continue to use MacBridge regardless.

Renee
RootsMagic

#38 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for explaining that it hadn't changed Renee.

Yes, I know that I could continue to use MacBridge, and I am happy for those that don't experience this annoying error.

For me however, I spend a lot of time on this project in RM and the frequency of the message, and the very annoying loss of data in the middle of being input when I've switched elsewhere to check something, and possibly got sidetracked, simply make it impractical to continue using it.

Should  development come up with a theory and wish me to test anything, happy to help.

I've not yet upgraded to Yosemite - has anyone that has done so and previously experienced this floating point error, found that it has gone away?

#39 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

When we get a theory that needs testing or development needs to test a fix for the issue, I will make sure people on this thread are contacted.

Renee
RootsMagic

#40 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

When we get a theory that needs testing or development needs to test a fix for the issue, I will make sure people on this thread are contacted.

Just to add that I'm also still getting this fairly regularly, after a move to a new Mac, new OS (Mavericks) and RM7 under MB7. All I did was drill down a couple of levels to look at a source, but it is the return to RM when the error pop-up becomes apparent. Running the database tools, everything is reported as being OK.

One thing that does apply in my case is that I use multiple virtual desktops (known as Spaces), with RM on one desktop, and my browser (for example) on another. When I swipe back to the RM desktop, the error pop-up is visible. This way of working may have nothing to do with the problem, but it is the way I always tend to work with RM. (Note that I have never had this problem wit RM under CrossOver, be it RM6 or RM7.)

Is anyone else that is suffering this problem use multiple desktops (Spaces), or is that aspect a red herring?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: error report, log file