Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

"RootsMagic Error

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:

Invalid floating point operation

Please Tell RootsMagic about this problem

We have created an error report that you can send to us via the

Internet.  This report will help us locate and fix the problem and

will improve the quality of RootsMagic."

This dialogue pop-up occurs every few minutes.  I have submitted it to RootsMagic each time.  I would like to better understand the details of this error.  Where is the log file for the RootsMagic application?  Does RootsMagic write to the OS log file?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there. If you get any errors run them a second time through. If still errors then tell me what the error says and on what tools it appeared.

The error logs will sometimes tell you more details about the error. But what is being sent to RootsMagic is not attached to your computer so we can't match it on our end and tell you what is happening in your situation.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

I've been getting this message a lot in the last hour under MacBridge.

Have  selected the send reports.

I kept working, which was probably a mistake as I then found that my data had not been saved.

Luckily I'd not done a lot and it was easily recreated.

Test database integrity showed errors about 10-15 errors (sorry, messages gone as although I'd copied them, I forgot to paste them somewhere before I then copied something else), for the first time ever for me in the months I've been using RM.

Ran the reindex, compact and reran the integrity, all fine.

I'm switching back to RM6 under parallels - again, where this particular message has never impinged on my consciousness, and I've never noticed losing data I'd just entered.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

I don't believe your problem was the MacBridge it appears you had database corruption. Resolving that should make it run correctly under the MacBridge again. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

"RootsMagic Error

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:

Invalid floating point operation

Please Tell RootsMagic about this problem

We have created an error report that you can send to us via the

Internet.  This report will help us locate and fix the problem and

will improve the quality of RootsMagic."

This dialogue pop-up occurs every few minutes.  I have submitted it to RootsMagic each time.  I would like to better understand the details of this error.  Where is the log file for the RootsMagic application?  Does RootsMagic write to the OS log file?

Look for the log file under

C:/Users/yourWindowsUserName/EurekaLog/RootsMagic/RootsMagic.elf

That logs application crashes but not the results of the Database Integrity Check and is what gets sent to RM Tech Support. It can be read with NotePad et al.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

I don't believe your problem was the MacBridge it appears you had database corruption. Resolving that should make it run correctly under the MacBridge again. 

The question is why did it occur and will it happen again soon? Maybe there is something about this Windows-Mac bridging via Wine that caused the corruption.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

Look for the log file under

C:/Users/yourWindowsUserName/EurekaLog/RootsMagic/RootsMagic.elf

That logs application crashes but not the results of the Database Integrity Check and is what gets sent to RM Tech Support. It can be read with NotePad et al.

C:/Users/yourWindowsUserName/AppData/Roaming/RootsMagic/RootsMagic.elf

That tells me that I was lying about never having had an invalid pointer message under Windows RM6 running under parallels (but I did say had never impinged on my consciousness :rolleyes: ).

The last crash logged was back in Sep 6th, but as you say, it doesn't log the db integrity messages.

The data I (noticed I) lost were the notes on a couple of newly added facts, nothing in particular that I'd not done before.

#8 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

The question is why did it occur and will it happen again soon? Maybe there is something about this Windows-Mac bridging via Wine that caused the corruption.

Further observation

Having worked in RM6 under windows/parallels since my response above, without any errors, I went back to MacBridge this morning, and have already hit the invalid floating point operation error.

No db integrity errors reported when I ran the tools, nothing obviously lost.

Completely unscientific, but to me that indicates the issue is something, somewhere, with MacBridge.

#9 kmccracken1951

kmccracken1951

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

I too have been seeing frequent "invalid floating point error" messages in MacBridge. They occur most often when I have the source list or source template list window open; sometimes the list spontaneously closes, other times it remains open. They also occur fairly often when I have no list open, just the Family View screen, and when I am not even doing anything in the program (I just got one right now, while I was typing this post).

I have run all of the File > Database Tools several times. There are no database integrity issues reported.

I never encountered one of these errors while running RM6 in either VMWare Fusion on my Mac, or on a Windows 7 PC. In the last hour I have had at least half a dozen in MacBridge. This has to be a bug in MacBridge.

Kathy

MacBrookPro, OS X 10.9.4 (Mavericks)

#10 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

I definitely have NO corruption and am getting this a lot.  

#11 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have the same error coming up under the same circumstances which seems to indicate a bug. As a Mac user, I very much appreciate that RootsMagic is being made available to us natively on our Macs. I look forward to the real deal for Macs!

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

We haven't been able to reproduce this. We are asking that those with this issue if you would tell us with Mac version you are using and in what areas of the program you are seeing this error message appear.  We are trying to find what the commonality is between your computers. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Renee,

The last one I noticed was actually sometime after I'd finished working in MacBridge and was doing something else.

When I went back, the message was there.

No errors in the db integrity check

Before that, I can't remember what I was doing, but the errors in the db integrity check were ?a couple? of errors something along the lines of unable to create index?

Which errors disappeared after running the db tools.

Will go back to MacBridge for a while and see what I can report

MacBookPro running Mavericks (OS X 10.9.4)

FWIW I also have Parallels v9 installed and the file system is shared between Win7 and Mac

#14 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

Renee,

I went back to MacBridge

did a few edits, all apparently successful, then went on to doing something else.

I've just returned to Macbridge to find a floating point error (sent).

DB integrity check then  showed these errors

Integrity check results:

rowid 1380 missing from index idxPlaceName
rowid 2425 missing from index idxPlaceName
rowid 7874 missing from index idxPlaceName
rowid 9762 missing from index idxSurname
rowid 9763 missing from index idxSurnameGiven
rowid 15929 missing from index idxSurnameGiven
rowid 15929 missing from index idxSurname

My edits had consisted of adding a birth fact, selecting an existing place name, adding a note, attaching a newly memorised source citation from an existing census record, then saving the data (no name changes at all)

I'd selected the person to edit from a descendant view and that's where the screen was "resting".

Unfortunately, I forgot to do the db integrity check before switching back to MacBridge from RM6 but any time I've done the check in RM6 I've not had errors.

Hope this helps

#15 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

My previous post seems to be my ongoing experience of this floating point error, which has happened several more times to me since then.

Doesn't seem to matter what window I've left MacBridge on, but if I've been idle for a while, it does seem to be consistent in throwing up the error.

No errors in db integrity.

Heading back to RM6 - again, it's less unnerving even though I've not found any obvious corruption/errors.

Happy to help test out any suggestions.

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

FWIW I also have Parallels v9 installed and the file system is shared between Win7 and Mac

By any chance do you have the database open at the same time on both the MacBridge and Parallels side?

Is anyone else getting the "invalid floating point error"  sharing the same database between the MacBridge and Parallels side of their computer?

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 LornaHen

LornaHen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

By any chance do you have the database open at the same time on both the MacBridge and Parallels side?

Most definitely not Renee.

When I switch, I backup up, sometimes remember to run the db integrity check, close out of the db & rm version I'm using, then switch to the other program, same database

#18 Marc Irish

Marc Irish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

I continue to get the invalid floating point error all the time.  Each time I send the report in.  I have run all the database integrity utilities and everything checks out okay.  Still get the error message.  It doesn't seem to affect anything and once the error report is submitted I can carry on.  I'm so hoping that RM will run natively on a Mac soon.

Marc

#19 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

I am running out of memory and I am also getting floating point errors.

here are my system specs.  I am running the latest developer version of OS X 10.10 Yosemite which should not matter as it runs everything that Mavericks ran just fine.  I have plenty of memory and the horsepower to run darn near anything.  Works better with Parallels than macbridge although macbridge looks a LOT better than parallels.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2014) - Technical Specifications

Processor

• 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache

Memory

• 2.9GHz
  • 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory

Storage1

• 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    • 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive

• Graphics and Video Support
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

#20 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

We haven't been able to reproduce this. We are asking that those with this issue if you would tell us with Mac version you are using and in what areas of the program you are seeing this error message appear.  We are trying to find what the commonality is between your computers. 

As I've just had this problem, I'll add some more information -

First, I've been using RM under CrossOver for almost a year and not had this problem. Have just started up MacBridge and it failed with this problem whilst I wasn't actually accessing RM but these forums. When I went back to RM, it was sitting there with the error. (By "went back to", I use multiple desktops (or Spaces) with RM on one desktop and my browser - Firefox - on another. I 3 finger swipe between the 2 using a Trackpad.)

I'm using Mavericks 10.9.4 (10.9.5 waiting to be installed) on a mid-2008 4GB iMac. (My CrossOver is currently at 13.2.0, but I've used all versions 12.5.0 without any great problem.) 

Note that I subsequently ran all the database tools and they were all clean. I was running using copies of my CrossOver/RM folders.

Edited by J P, 21 September 2014 - 08:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: error report, log file