6 replies to this topic

#1 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:56 AM

I've started to use RM to populate FSFT, but the differences between the standardised RM place name and the FSFT standard names is causing me what seems to me to be unnecessary grief.

For example, a standardised name in RM is  "Bolton, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom" but the standard in FSFT is "Bolton, Lancashire, England". So, if one wants to play the game, every British place name transferred from RM to FSFT has to be edited to remove the United Kingdom. Very tedious.

I don't know if this issue is only specific to the UK because of what are in essence two country names. Maybe someone from other countries might comment as to whether this is an issue for them.

As I see it, there needs to be an option in RM to strip off the last country name, or perhaps strip it off if only certain values apply.

Of course this is another delayed and unfortunate consequence of the introduction into RM of the County Check option. Until then, I always stopped at England (or Wales or Scotland), but the insistence of RM in prompting me to use the standardised name eventually wore me down and I edited all my many place names to add UK. Unfortunate it would seem. Maybe I should turn county check off and re-edit the place names.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

In RM, go to Search at the top of the main screen and select Search and Replace. Choose Places from the dropdown menu.

Search for = England, United Kingdom
Replace with = England

This makes the changes to all places globally. Read the article on Search and Replace in Help before you use this feature.

I suggest creating another database to experiment in before making changes in the main database. Try the Search and replace in the Play database first to make sure you are going to get the results you expect before making the Search and replace change in the main database.

It is your choice how you want a place name to be entered, and your choice about whether to use CountyCheck as a guide in entering place names. As you said, CountyCheck is an option.

You can turn CountyCheck off by going to Tools, Program options and unmarking Use CountyCheck when entering places. You can turn it back on when you want to use it.

Or, when you enter a new place on the Edit person screen and CountyCheck pops up, you can choose not to change the place.

If you have CountyCheck turned off and want to do a report of possible problems, you can use Reports, Lists, CountyCheck.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I just added a place with United Kingdom in it and the place wasn't marked as standardized but I'm not being prevented from reserving ordinances, etc. because of it. I actually wouldn't worry to much on the place name not being accepted as a standardized place name right now. I think the standards are incomplete in the FT. If you have been using the CountyCheck for the historic time frames it should be recognizing United Kingdom. We are using FamilySearch's standardized place names as a guide.  Their standardized place names were on a separate website, just can't recall the URL right now.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Their standardized place names were on a separate website, just can't recall the URL right now.

https://familysearch...ndardLookup.jsp

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

https://familysearch...ndardLookup.jsp

Using that website, it comes up with "Bolton, Lancashire, England", so no United Kingdom.

In an earlier append, Laura made some very helpful suggestions that I will experiment with when time allows. Using the technique she suggests, I should be able to remove the United Kingdom in RM, and add it back again later if I so desire.

To some extent I always thought that the addition of the UK bit was a little unnecessary and made place names rather long such. That they tended to overflow the space often allowed when printed.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

If you put it back use:

Search for: , England
Replace with: , England, United Kingdom

That comma and space could keep you from having New England, United Kingdom, for example.

#7 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

In RM, go to Search at the top of the main screen and select Search and Replace. Choose Places from the dropdown menu.Search for = England, United KingdomReplace with = EnglandThis makes the changes to all places globally. Read the article on Search and Replace in Help before you use this feature.I suggest creating another database to experiment in before making changes in the main database. Try the Search and replace in the Play database first to make sure you are going to get the results you expect before making the Search and replace change in the main database.It is your choice how you want a place name to be entered, and your choice about whether to use CountyCheck as a guide in entering place names. As you said, CountyCheck is an option.You can turn CountyCheck off by going to Tools, Program options and unmarking Use CountyCheck when entering places. You can turn it back on when you want to use it.Or, when you enter a new place on the Edit person screen and CountyCheck pops up, you can choose not to change the place.If you have CountyCheck turned off and want to do a report of possible problems, you can use Reports, Lists, CountyCheck.

Laura, Have now followed your suggestions and everything works very well. Many thanks

I note your warning about New England - I don't have any of that in my tree, yet, but if I ever manage to track down the few who just seem to have disappeared from a UK perspective, I suspect some of them must have crossed the Atlantic.

The response to my original post just shows 2 things:

(1) There is an awful lot of function in RM that some (or many) of us are only vaguely aware of and just don't manage to recall when faced with an issue/problem

(2) There are some wonderfully helpful people who follow these forums who are only too willing to help, whether the question comes from an RM beginner or someone like myself who now has a fair number of RM yeras under the belt but stil has plenty to learn. Their help is much appreciated, I'm sure.