19 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I would hate to see the option to create html files deleted from a future version of Roots Magic since Google is not able to search files created by Publish Online.  I currently upload my database via Publish Online to the the Roots Magic website and via html files to Rootsweb since Google searches the html files on Rootsweb.  I then cross reference both sites so that anyone looking at one can check out the other.

Please do not discontinue the html files option since that is the only way for a cousin who does not know me to find my site via Google.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'm sure we will have something in place that will allow websites to be Google searchable before we ever consider removing the HTML files.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I'm sure we will have something in place that will allow websites to be Google searchable before we ever consider removing the HTML files.

That information has been shared before in these forums.

Just as important to me is the very nice format of the HTML narrative reports, plus the very quick and one click navigation provided by the HTML narrative reports. Will something also be in place for these issues before considering the removal of the HTML files?

Thanks,

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Confirming that concern is noted in our tracking system. So development is aware of the need before the HTML websites are ever scheduled to be removed.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 flame1carol

flame1carol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Newbie here, so maybe I'm just missing something, but is the "html files" option the only way to create a narrative on everyone in the database?  Ideally, I would love to have the narratives included on the website that is created with "publish online".  Beside each person's name, there are currently 3 icons, for individual page, show families, and pedigree chart.  Would love to have another icon for the narrative on each person.  Is something like that already on the enhancement list?

Thanks,

Carol

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Why is Google unable to search pages created with Publish Online?

Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Why is Google unable to search pages created with Publish Online?

Up until May of this year, it was because Publish Online uses javascript to present the web site to visitors' browsers and Google has always had a hard time figuring out how to crawl the content of javascript-driven pages and then index that into search engine results. BUT, recently back in May, they announced progress on that front:

http://googlewebmast...ges-better.html

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Up until May of this year, it was because Publish Online uses javascript to present the web site to visitors' browsers and Google has always had a hard time figuring out how to crawl the content of javascript-driven pages and then index that into search engine results. BUT, recently back in May, they announced progress on that front:

http://googlewebmast...ges-better.html

Thank you for the reply. I read the info from the link. So, has anyone discovered if this searching is working correctly now?

Kathy

Happily using RootsMagic 7 under MacBridge7 on my  MacBook Pro using Mac OS 10.10

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. I read the info from the link. So, has anyone discovered if this searching is working correctly now?

Apparently mine has not been discovered yet. I have Google Analytics on it from several months back and it indicates that I am probably the only one to ever look at it. But that is because it was only an experiment and I have not told anyone it was there! For search engines to find it, they have to be led there. One way is to be linked to it from pages they already crawl. Another is to submit your website to the search service for indexing. The combination of both may elevate results from your website in people's searches. There are other search optimization techniques over which we have little or no control given the way Publish Online works. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 kcard

kcard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, Tom. I sure hope they get this fixed in the future somehow. The pages created with Publish Online are MUCH more appealing and useful than the html ones.

Kathy

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

The pages created with Publish Online are MUCH more appealing and useful than the html ones.

I would suspect that the majority of RM users would agree, but certainly not everyone agrees. :)

Jerry

#13 traveler2030

traveler2030

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

Today, after I published online, I noticed that the new additions were not include on the RootMagic webpage.

Why would that happen? 

Any help, advice, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

The website may have not been fully populated when you looked. Check it again this morning to see if the changes appear.

Renee
RootsMagic

#15 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

I think it would be a fairly easy feature to add to simply provide the option to include a list of all names as keywords in a database linked to the main page. This way Google could find all the names and would drop the searcher into a users main page. 

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

The new RootsMagic 7 Publish Online websites are fully Google searchable. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

The new RootsMagic 7 Publish Online websites are fully Google searchable. 

And work from an unexpurgated copy of your database, which is why I'm scared of it.

#18 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

What

And work from an unexpurgated copy of your database, which is why I'm scared of it.

Might there be a ring of Newcomb research hackers lurking in wait to steal your database for the privatized info inside ? (o;

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#19 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

What
Might there be a ring of Newcomb research hackers lurking in wait to steal your database for the privatized info inside ? (o;

My database contains a lot of information marked {private}. I'm not ready to just stick it on a server and hope no one can access it. 

#20 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

I just posted about this subject on another part of this forum.

After much consideration I gave up on the website options offered by RM and use a 3rd party programme to publish on my website - I am much happier with the result than any of the RM options I have seen so far, so do have a nose around the web at some of the options to turn your gedcom into a website, you can always stick with RM's websites if you don't find anything better :-)