3 replies to this topic

#1 Emile N Nucho

Emile N Nucho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hello,

As I understand it, "Roots Magic to Go" is designed so you can send a family tree's data to another person (who does not have the software) so as to allow that person to see the data without needing to have the actual software to see that data (but, of course, with no ability to edit that data). Am I right or am I wrong?

If I am right, would the receiver of the data actually need Windows? Or can they use any other operating system?  I ask this question because I used "FT to Go" to transfer my data to an ordinary USB flash drive and the tried to open it in my Max, but it would not.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Emile

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

As I understand it, "Roots Magic to Go" is designed so you can send a family tree's data to another person (who does not have the software) so as to allow that person to see the data without needing to have the actual software to see that data (but, of course, with no ability to edit that data). Am I right or am I wrong?

Actually,

Tools->Create a Shareable CD

is for what you describe. Roots Magic To Go is for when the researcher is away from their computer's RootsMagic installation and they want to do some research, additions or changes ...and then take those back to their computer installation and synchronize the new information or changes back into the database at home.

Both require Windows or perhaps a Windows emulator on Mac.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Emile N Nucho

Emile N Nucho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

OK. Many thanks. That is one of the worst problems with Roots Magic. You either have Windows or you are out of luck.

Another question. In your answer, you write "Both require Windows or perhaps a Windows emulator on Mac". So, does this also mean that I would need to have RT installed as well in order to see this data on the CD?

Cheers,

Emile

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

1) There are several Windows emulators that appear to run RootsMagic reliably on Mac computers - do a search of the RM6 forums for lots of advice from users making it happen.

2) There's a native iOS version of RM in development. Do some searching, and you see that there are some users looking forward to the release. Time for development, I'm sure you know, is very hard to predict, so RM has not revealed an anticipated date for availability. I'm guessing you'll be one of the thrilled users when RM7 hits the streets....