• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deb B

Deb B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Has anyone else been able to save a RM file to Dropbox using Crossover on a Mac?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

This feature in RootsMagic does not work using a Mac. Doesn't matter what application you use on the Mac to run Windows program either. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I use the save to DropBox with RM6 running on a mac using Paralles and it works fine.

Roger

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Ok, I just found out that the issue with saving to Dropbox is only when using CrossOver. It has to do with the browser CrossOver is using. With Paralles you install Windows so it will work fine. I learn something new everyday!

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Ok, I just found out that the issue with saving to Dropbox is only when using CrossOver. It has to do with the browser CrossOver is using. With Paralles you install Windows so it will work fine. I learn something new everyday!

As a user of RM under Crossover, I was a little surprised to see this restriction (even though I don't use Dropbox to get files to my iPad). I would have thought that RM would have an option to define where it should put such files just as it does for Backups, Reports, etc. Am I missing something here or has RM taken what could be called a short cut when implementing this function?

(Clearly I would prefer a native Mac version of RM but in a case such as mine where RM is the only Windows application I now use, Crossover, despite the relatively modest extra cost, saves me all the chaos that seems to surround a relatively infrequent use of Windows under Parallels, and saves me the cost of Parallels version upgrades and the effort and significant cost of needing to migrate from XP at some increasingly imminent time.)

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

The Save to DropBox option along with the Backup to Google Drive, etc options do not save to the local drive. Instead they save directly to the cloud "folder", probably using some software components provided by the cloud service providers. Maybe those components, integrated as they are in this Windows app, rely on stuff they cannot find unless running under Windows.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

TomH is correct about the save and backup to Dropbox or Google Drive saving directly to the Cloud. This option is really helpful if you are at a FHC or using RootsMagic To-Go on a computer that does not have your Dropbox installed. It will bypass all those issues.

You can still use Tools>Program Options>Folders to set your default backups locations to the Dropbox folder on your own computer, which then syncs to the cloud.

Renee
RootsMagic