• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shiro

Shiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

In entering census information I tried to use "Residence (family)". I found that you have to have a husband to use this "fact".  Since the person I was trying to add is a widow, I had to add each person separately.  I also will be wanting to use this for widowers, and divorced individuals.  Can you fix it so widow or divorced are choices?  Thank you.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

A family fact is linked to both spouses. Both spouses must have records in the database and be linked as a couple. A family fact is just linked to the spouses and is not linked to the children.

An individual fact can be linked to the children or the family fact can be shared with the children. There are several drawbacks to sharing the fact with the children.

Even if the spouse of a widow or widower is in the database, the individual Residence fact should be used foor the living person. The dead spouse was not in the household. If the divorced spouse is not in the household, then the individual fact should be used for the person that is in the household.

#3 Shiro

Shiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Why can't there be a choice of "widow", "widower", "divorced", or "spouse not present".?  The widow or widower is still the head of the house.  Also, if the information is not shared with the children to date, what is the difference between "Residence, Family" and "Residence, Couple"?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

There is no fundamental reason to have these descriptions as choices. You can put whatever you want into the fact description and note and source text fields.

There is no difference in RootsMagic between Residence, Family and Residence, Couple assuming the first is the standard built in fact type and the latter is a custom fact type that has been defined as a "family" fact type having the same settings and sentence template. As Laura explained, Family and Couple are synonymous within the RootsMagic software even though they imply something different.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.