6 replies to this topic

#1 Emile N Nucho

Emile N Nucho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hello,

Can any one tell me if there is some way to indicate (with a symbol or something similar) that a person in my family tree has died. I know that when a new name is introduced, one can add dates of birth, marriage, death, etc. However, I see no way to indicate this without having to include dates (which I do not know).

I also know that I can add notes, but that does not show. It would be nice if, next to the name of a person in the family tree, appear a symbol that quickly identifies that person as dead.

Thanks much,

Emile

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

There is a Living flag in the Edit Person screen that you can check or uncheck but it does not show in charts or reports. You could add an undated Death fact or use an estimated date for it.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Because I don't use the Suffix field for anything else, I enter a special character there.   It is visible in most screens and print functions and can be used for filtering, sorting, etc.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I've color-coded all the living people in my database green so I can identify them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Tcluster

Tcluster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Elsewhere I've seen a discussion of automatically suppressing the display of people who are living in reports, charts, etc.  The bottom line appears to be that the living flag is used when creating Gedcom files, but not in report/chart creation.  I'm writing now to add my voice to those who urge the developers to enhance report/chart creation so that it respects the living flag and replaces the boxes or report items with something like "LIVING SMITH" or "LIVING JONES" with all other information suppressed.  I've learned that some people feel very strongly about their names and dates appearing in reports.  The work-arounds that I've read about (creating separate copies of the database for the creation of the report or chart) seem unnecessarily clumsy.

Thank you.

Tom Cluster.

#6 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

It's not clear if you are looking for a death indicator that's just for you in using RM, or if you are looking for a death indicator that will appear in reports.

I think the question is trickier than it first sounds. I admit that I have a lot of people in my database who clearly are no longer living (for example, they were born in 1753) but for whom I don't have a Death fact because I don't know when they died. I think that an undated Death fact reads awkwardly in reports. I usually try to come up with a reasonable estimate for a death date if I can, but sometimes it's hard to come up with a reasonable date.

On the other hand, suppose someone was born in 1930 so that they might still be living, and suppose the were listed as deceased in a family member's obituary in 2003. In this case, I would probably enter a death fact for the person of "before 2003". And better yet in this case, since there is a good likelihood of being able to find the death date, I would probably invest the time to search the SSDI, findagrave, etc. to see if I could find a death date. Other situations might be where somebody appeared in the 1850 census as age 3 and were not enumerated in the 1860 census. In this case, I would probably enter a death fact of "between 1850 and 1860" or something like that. In this latter case, there's at least a chance that the person didn't die before 1860 and simply was somewhere else at the time of the census enumeration, so as I said originally it can be very tricky.

Jerry

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

You could color code everyone with a Living flag checked [Living] as Living flag is True one color.

Color everyone with the Living flag unchecked [Dead] as Living flag is False another color.

You could enter a Death fact for everyone you know would be dead or has died even if you have no entries in Date, Place and Notes. Mark the fact as private, and it will not be printed in reports or exported in a gedcom unless you check Private facts to be included.

To exclude those Death facts from search, use:
Unmark group
Death, Date, is blank
AND, Dearh, Place, is blank
AND, Death, Note, is blank