• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldarmymed

oldarmymed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I often use identical citations for several different events and people, i.e., a census record for a large family.  Occassionally, I have a need to revise the citation (I find a typo or a misspelling that needs to be corrected). I have been locating every instance of the citation and individually fixing them.  Is there a way to globally fix all identical citations as can be done with Ancestral Quest? Thanks.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

There used to be.  About 3 or 4 versions ago, if you opened Search - Search and Replace there were a couple options that are not there in RM 6.3.1.4 - most importantly Source Details. If that option could be returned to Search and Replace, then you and I would have an excellent tool for fixing those typos. I must admit, that although I try to be careful, I do have some Source Details with typos - usually discovered long after I've already copied that citation to multiple facts and individuals.... I'm hoping that Source Details replacements will be returning, so that I can do some cleanup work on my database....

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

I suspect my solution is not suitable for most users, but I have solved this problem by putting all the data associated with my citations into the Master Source part of my citations. I leave the "citation" part of my citations completely empty. This allows me to fix all occurences of a typo from within List -> Source rather than from within Edit Person and with all the searching and clicking that is required to do it that way. I only have to fix any given typo just one time and the correction magically appears in all citations of the Master Sourcee. Similarly, any maintenance I need to do to any media information associated with my citations only has to be performed one time. This approach also has the advantage doing a better job of preserving source information when GEDCOM is exported from RM and imported into third party software than does the approach than does the more normal approach of putting some of the citation information into the "citation" part of part of the citation.

Strictly speaking, typos don't have to be corrected from within List->Source with my approach.I can still go into the Edit Person screen and make a correction to a citation from there. Having done so, it's done for all the other instances of that citation as well. So whether I make the correction from List->Source or from Edit Person, I only have to make each correction one time.

There are also some disadvantages of my approach. For one thing, a lot of users surely think I am crazy. For a second thing, my list of Master Sources is becoming extremely long. I mitigate against this problem with a very careful naming system for my Master Sources. For a third thing, many (most?) of the built-in source templates will not work with my approach. For a long time, I handled this issue by using the built-in Free Form source template instead. Actually, I chose to use the Free Form source template anyway because I found the built-in source templates far too confusing and far too hard to use. I have now switched over to building my own source templates which I like a lot better than the built-in ones. I make sure that my own source templates place all the citation data into the Master Source. And the fourth thing is that my approach renders short footnotes and bibliographies unusable. This hasn't been a problem for me because I always produce endnotes rather than true footnotes or bibliographies.

You can find discussion of my approach by searching this forum for "Extreme Splitting" or "Adventures in Extreme Splitting".

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Confirming the Search & Replace option for source citation is no longer available. It is in the tracking system.

You could use Search>Find Everywhere and use a phrase from the source citations to find them by. Then scroll through the results until you get to the Citations. You will see them all listed there. You can click on the Citation link to open up the screen to edit them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: citations, source, sources, citation