11 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

Okay, I'm not techy AT ALL.  Heck, I don't even own a smart phone (I hear you all gasping!!!)

So, here's my question.  I'm trying to think of an easy way to take my files with me....say....to the state archives or on a trip.  I was trying to do this without lugging around my old lap top because its heavy. I've had to have a lot of surgeries lately (cancer) and I seem to be having a hard time remembering certain things that are on my database (peoples important dates, etc).

So, I was thinking...gee, I have the Roots-To-Go and I would only need to access my database(s) to make sure that I have the correct people and correct facts....so, why can't I just plug the sucker into some kind of tablet thingy.

Is this possible?  Do any of the tablet thingy(s) run the Roots-To-Go?   If so, what do I need to look out for?

Keep in mind, I don't want to save my stuff to some cloud or whatever those things are called...and I don't want to pay for something that will get wi-fi (ie: be on the internet).   I just was hopeful that something would exist that would allow me to see my roots-to-go information without doing anything else.  Sorta like taking all your reports with you to keep you on track....without having to carry all the paperwork....LOL.

So, calling all you techies.....

Can this be done?

Oh, and I have RM5.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

If the places you visit have a Windows computer you may use and allow visitors to plug in their flash drives, then all you need is your RootsMagic stick which you set up on your own computer using the RootsMagic To-Go program to install RootsMagic program and copy your database files. That is the lightest solution.

I would caution you about using a tablet with RootsMagic. It is not designed either for small screens nor for touch and the combination is eye-straining and frustratingly awkward to use as the virtual keyboard or RootsMagic windows have to be moved around to see what you need to see.

I think a minimum screen size for RootsMagic is about 11" with a physical keyboard and a mouse or touchpad pointing device. You can buy a tablet and accessorize it but it will cost more than a small notebook computer. Or, you can buy a hybrid tablet/notebook with a detachable or foldover touch screen to enable both desktop and handheld modes of operation. Of course, the device must have the Windows operating system. You can still get older notebooks with Windows 7; almost all touch tablets and norebooks are Windows 8 and if you go that way make sure it is already set up to Windows 8.1 to save yourself a little grief.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for your reply Tom!  I had not thought of the screen size...not a good thing since my eyes are having trouble focusing on small things (side effect of meds).  It sounds like the best advice it to live with my heavier old laptop or get a new one that might be lighter.   I doubt that most archives would like you sticking a thumb drive into their computer, so I would think that having a lap top seems like the best solution.

Thanks again for all your info.  

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Or, you could download the free RootsMagic app onto a iPad or an Android device and download the database to the device.  iPad requires using either iTunes or Dropbox and Android requires using Dropbox.  The database is read only.

I use a Kindle Fire HDX 7 inch, but a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 inch would be easier to read.

The ease of reading and using touch on a tablet that runs the full Windows program depends on the size of the screen and the size of your fingers.

A 8" tablet running the full Windows program like Tom has is way too small.  I do fine on my 10.1 inch Acer tablet with the fonts customized to a larger sized font in Windows, but a bigger screen would be better.

I carry a pocket magnifier for those times I am having trouble reading.  I used it a lot when I was on chemo and radiation.

#5 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the advice Laura!  I appreciate your reply.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Here's a screenshot directly from my Dell Venue Pro 8" tablet to illustrate the fight between the virtual keyboard and the RootsMagic windows. Here I am trying to edit the Death event...

RM_on_Dell_8_tablet_screenshot.png

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

A very good reason to have a portable keyboard.   :)

When I clicked on the screenshot to see the enlarged screenshot in my 7 inch Kindle Fire, I could read what can be seen of the text without zooming.

Touch navagation would be iffy.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Working with the Dell $40 high-res stylus is a bit better than finger touch but then you have to have a really steady hand and suffer the annoyance of putting down and picking up the stylus between keystrokes, mislaying it, ...

Here's a side-by-side of my wife's 11" Dell (touch) notebook with my RootsMagic flash drive plugged in and my Dell Venue 8 Pro mounted in an old iPad folio/Bluetooth keyboard with wired mouse connected through a USB On-the-Go adapater. A Bluetooth mouse would be preferable because it frees up the USB port for charging and the wired mouse sucks power in standby mode. For working with RootsMagic on the tablet, I much prefer the outboard keyboard and mouse but you will note the space and bulk is not much less than the notebook which is a much more productive device (but she says hands off!...)

P7130936.jpg

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I think we need a new Forum.  Using RootsMagic on tablets.   :)   Or, a thread at the top of the Discussion forum.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Another option, DonnaT, that would lighten your load and liberate you from your laptop is to get a smartphone or tablet and run some other software that can import and export GEDCOM files from/to RootsMagic. You may also find it so convenient for email and other things such as web-browsing (size matters here) that you really only need your laptop for RootsMagic. Ancestry has a wonderful app for iOS if you are a subscriber.

A very scalable GEDCOM app for Apple iOS devices is GedView. The screenshot below is from my iPad 2. There is so much white space, it should work well on much smaller screens. You can add/edit persons, snap photos of documents and add them, I.e., gather and organize information while at your place of research, then import into a new RM database, review, copy to and merge duplicates in working database, clean up.

Screenshot from GedView (individual) on iPad 2:

Ged_View.png

Edited by TomH, 15 July 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

I think we need a new Forum.  Using RootsMagic on tablets.   :)   Or, a thread at the top of the Discussion forum.

Agreed. This thread is not specific to RootsMagic 5 but is of more general interest and applicability.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I just pinned an older forum thread on Windows Tablets to the RootsMagic 6 Discussion forum so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

http://forums.rootsm...indows-tablets/

Renee
RootsMagic