4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

These junk messages that keep coming are getting really annoying. I would like to see them stopped. But I don't want to slow the pace of appropriate messages nor overburden the administrators. I have had good success controlling robot spam in Yahoo groups by moderating new members, requiring applicants for membership to say something intelligent in their reason for joining and setting their message status to unmoderated only after approving their first message. If that first message is spam, it is rejected and they are kicked out. Controlling entry blocks 80%; controlling the first message blocks 20%. Well, maybe it does not total 100% because there is the occasional member's computer that gets taken over by a virus.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

I will talk to the RootsMagician about this. I know today was bad with one spammer hitting us multiple times.  New forum members do have to answer a genealogy related question, so the person/people hitting this forum are not robots.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, Renee. The two new spammers (magick and CharlotteDLott) both joined in the wee hours and posted shortly after. I see the question "What type of tree do genealogists study?" and the Captcha security check so I would agree that it must be a hurdle for a robot to get in. The messages certainly look to be robotic. I suppose there is the possibility that the member is a real person with legitimate interest and that their computer has been taken over but, more than likely, their goal is nefarious - trying to get other members to click on a dangerous link, or worse, trying to break in to get member data.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Every day when I come onto the forums I block and delete the spammers. So they have to generate new accounts for them to spam again. You would really think that would get old after a while. They always appear early in the morning, about 2am MT so I'm not sure what country that might indicate they are coming from. If we change things I'm not going to post it on the forums, so that will leave them guessing. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

Every day when I come onto the forums I block and delete the spammers. So they have to generate new accounts for them to spam again. You would really think that would get old after a while. They always appear early in the morning, about 2am MT so I'm not sure what country that might indicate they are coming from. If we change things I'm not going to post it on the forums, so that will leave them guessing.

Being in the UK, I suppose that, because you are a number of hours behind us, I see the spam when I log on around 8.00AM here! It is a problem for all blog sites. I hope you find a devious way to prevent the devious spammers!!