7 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

I am sure I have posted this before but cannot find it at present so it is maybe some years ago.

I would like to have an option to display only Unlinked Media in Media Gallery, all my media is linked but scrolling about looking for those little X's is tedious and they can be easy to miss with thumbnails flying past your eyes. 

Also when double clicking on a Media Item with a broken link RM displays a dialogue stating "Rootsmagic can't find this Media Item:" and displays the full path and filename. It would also be beneficial to resolving these file links if a Search button were provided in that dialogue which opened explorer in the presently recorded folder to begin the search to re-select the media item which has likely been renamed so not found by "fix broken links"

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.

I think you sent that in to us by ticket.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

This one gets my vote too.  I was just about to post a request for this.  I'm frequently renaming and moving stuff around.  I don't mind fixing the links, but would like to filter them rather than scrolling down looking for the red X.

#4 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:25 AM

On this note, please  - when I find the red X - please let me right click to get to properties rather than going up to the button at the top.  Thank you.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

I don't disagree with the need to filter media that are unlinked. In addition, I would like to see more functionality than just that.

I tend to use List mode instead of thumbnail mode about 99.9% of the time because most of my media is images of documents instead photographs of people. I think the following improvements are needed in List mode.

• Filters on the list instead of or in addition to searching.
  • A column in List mode for the red X's which denote broken links.
  • A column in List mode for number of links. I would use this mostly to identify media items with no links.
  • The ability to sort columns by clicking at the top of the column. In concert with the column for red X's and the column for number of links, sorting and filtering would make it very quick and easy to find broken links and unlinked items. The little up and down arrowheads at the top of the columns should work according to Windows conventions instead of being backwards as they are other places in RM. The direction of the up and down arrowheads should be fixed in other places in RM as well.
  • RM should remember whether I am in List mode or Thumbnail mode and should start out in whichever mode I was most recently in.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

On this note, please  - when I find the red X - please let me right click to get to properties rather than going up to the button at the top.  Thank you.

With the image highlighted use the key-combo Alt-E and it will open the Properties screen.

Confirming all items are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

With the image highlighted use the key-combo Alt-E and it will open the Properties screen.

RM needs both a mouse way to do everything and a keyboard way to do everything. So the Alt-E way of opening the Properties screen is a very good feature.

In the case of a mouse way to do everything, RM should support a right click as much as possible. RM does support right click quite a bit, but it's not enough. This is an example where a right-click that is needed is not available.

Jerry

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3182 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

I'm frequently renaming and moving stuff around.

Move stuff around by all means but do not rename outside Rootsmagic, you will only cause yourself unnecessary work.

I agree with all Jerrys comments, a competitor program allows a pick list of categories for each item thereby providing a filtering system. Years ago I suffixed each item with (B), (m) or (d) for the vitals but as time has moved on I now use the gedcom tag as a file name suffix so (bapt), (obit), (cens) etc. The result within Rootsmagic Media Gallery is I can enter (bapt) in the search box and only get Baptisms etc.

For Bev and anyone else working this ever growing challenge I have a link to a short video below which I would hope might help, after 25+ years the main advice I would give is choose a file naming system which has virtual uniqueness.

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root