• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 GalinAZ

GalinAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

I'm not clear, is the problem only with GEDCOMs from Ancestry coming into Roots Magic?  Does the problem occur when importing into Family Tree Maker, Ancestry's own software?

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

What problem are you asking about?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 George B

George B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

I've found that the 3 _APID 1, 1788::77473660 contains the basics to create a url as follows:

https://search.ances...1788&h=77473660

These can be used/or stored in the citation WEB field of the source and then clicked on if desired to show the document.

#24 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

I add them to RM completely manually. Yes that means I manually make a source citation, extract all the data from the source by hand and associate with the correct person and facts. It is a slow process but it is far less time consuming than untangling a large database that has been chewed by ancestry.com and remerged. Unfortunately, if you want a clean, consistent, well sourced database, there is no shortcut to manual importation of the data.

I started this way and am still with it,  importing text from somewhere else is placing trust in someone else's transcription and we all know how accurate they are :-)