10 replies to this topic

#1 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Each instance that I drag and drop a person from one database to another, a duplicate Master Source is created.  So if I drag and drop five people, one at a time, and they each source the 1850 US Census, then five "1850 US Census" are in my Master Source list, all identical.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

That can happen if:
- there is the slightest difference between the dragged and incumbent master sources
- trailing white space is truncated and could cause the slightest difference
- custom source template is treated as a new custom source template each time a source using it is dnd'd, thus the source is, too

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 JeffH13

JeffH13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Tom,

In my case it's the 3rd situation you list.  All my sources use custom templates.

Jeff

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Then you might be interested in this workaround http://sqlitetoolsfo...erge Duplicates
It merges the duplicate custom source templates thus allowing AutoMerge to do its job.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

I was testing this and found that Lists>Source List>AutoMerge is not merging the custom source templates. I am noting this and the drag n drop issue in our tracking system. 

You can still use the Merge feature. Go to Lists>Source List and highlight the source you want to keep. Then click Merge. Select the duplicate source and then click "Select source to merge then click here". When you manually merge sources you do have to be careful that they have the same fields. In your case they should already be exactly the same from what you described.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

I was testing this and found that Lists>Source List>AutoMerge is not merging the custom source templates. I am noting this and the drag n drop issue in our tracking system. 

I thought these were in the tracking system a long time ago...

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Well there goes my memory.  :rolleyes: I thought this was new because I didn't recall the issue specifically with custom source templates. Now I see it's in the tracking system FOUR times. Each with multiple reports. I did some housekeeping and all is good now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thanks, Renee! That's why you have a tracking system!

#9 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, Renee! That's why you have a tracking system!

Not that anything ever makes it out of the tracking system .......

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

This has been happening since day one of RootsMagic.   Not a fun time cleaning up sources that should be caught as dups no matter whether custom or .....  Tired of cleaning the Source file after every update....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3374 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

This has been happening since day one of RootsMagic.   Not a fun time cleaning up sources that should be caught as dups no matter whether custom or .....  Tired of cleaning the Source file after every update....

Let's hope the Rootsmagician is on it for the next release along with other data clean up possibilities like dup events which differ only slightly.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root