• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

I have had RM6 for months but have yet to transfer my master database from RM5. I have been playing around with RM6 using another database. RM6 will create a website using the Create HTML files but when I try to create a website using Publish Online I continue to get the following error message:

RootsMagic has encountered an unexpected error:
File C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 6\WebFiles.zip

Also included is a generic error statement with the hot button Send Error Report.

My project folder is at: C:\Users\Ron\Documents\RootsMagic6\PublishWebPage\RM5RM6RonPublishOnlineWebsite

Thanks for your time!

Ron Adams

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

You are using a long path and filename. I am not certain of the current limitations under each disk formatting system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS), so you may want to do some research. But the earlier of those file systems (FAT) had a limit of about 500 files in a folder, a maximum file size of 1 or 2 GB (not sure if I remember that correctly), a maximum number of characters in the path and filename of either 64 or 128 characters (including all the punctuation and separators), and a maximum number of nested folders being written to a CD (7 levels, I think).

If you can use the NTFS file system, then these limits will be so much larger that they shouldn't be causing a problem.

You can check your file system by going to Windows - MyComputer - then right-click on a drive and select Properties.

I'd suggest trying a different folder setup, with something like:

C:\RM\Publish\OnlineWebsite

This will be more compact, and make browsing through the folders a simpler, flatter procedure.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure exactly what is causing this  issue. If appears to be an issue inside the Program Files.  I am going to suggest that you uninstall and reinstall RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

What now? I reinstalled RM6 on my desktop which has Windows 7. I no longer get the error message BUT when I preview itwith the browser (Internet Explorer 11) only the Home page has the data. The Name Index page and Pedigree page are totally blank except for the headings.

Here is a new problem using my Surface Pro 2 tablet which has Windows 8.1. I copied RM6 from the desktop to a flash drive. Then copied RM6 from the flash drive to the tablet. It required the registration key which I provided. Next I created a new simple database. When trying to create a website using Publish Online I not only got the following error message but now RM6 is frozen up with that error message. When I trid to turn the power off a message states this app RootsMagic 6 is preventing shutdown.

File “C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 6\WebFiles.zip’

Thanks for your time! Ron Adams

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

I wonder if RM creates an intermediate file WebFiles.zip and it is mistakenly being written to the protected folder.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

That suggests to me that maybe the folders haven't been set under Tools - Program Options - Folders

Good idea to verify that appropriate folders are set on both the desktop and tablet - if you make the paths identical on the two machines, then links to media, etc. will work properly on both machines without any fiddling with Search & Replace when migrating the RM database from one machine to the other

#7 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Sure is strange I’m getting the same error message (below) when using two different computers, one Windows 7 the other Windows 8.1, two different databases with one being new, files located in two different paths. The only things in common are the same copy of RM6 and both have Internet Employer 11.

Ron

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I see a WebFiles.zip file in the same location generated in Nov 2013. It contains a sample website and must have come with RM6. It is not overwritten on the creation of a new website. However, I have administrative access to the program folder and have set it to visible. The folder is nonetheless set to read-only. Can you browse to the folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 6 and see WebFiles.zip?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I no longer get the error message BUT when I preview it with the browser (Internet Explorer 11) only the Home page has the data. The Name Index page and Pedigree page are totally blank except for the headings.

This has also been my experience. IE11 brings up a warning bar at the bottom that reads:

Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls. <Allow blocked content>

Clicking the Allow button removes the warning but does not allow viewing the site locally.

Except for the scripts/ActiveX warning, this is also the default case for viewing the publish-generated website locally in Google Chrome, Opera Next and Opera. Only Firefox allows me to browse the created website locally. It has been revealed in these forums that if you open Google Chrome with an additional parameter switch "--allow-file-access-from-files" one can also view the publish results locally. BUT, if you allow RootsMagic to upload your built website to my.rootsmagic.com, it will be viewable in all browsers, I believe.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

TomH
Neither the desktop nor the tablet have a WebFiles.zip file in C:/Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 6. I did a general search for WebFiles.zip on the desktop but nothing found. Tried it on the tablet and ended up on the internet with list of several websites. RJA36

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

TomH
Neither the desktop nor the tablet have a WebFiles.zip file in C:/Program Files (x86)\RootsMagic 6. I did a general search for WebFiles.zip on the desktop but nothing found. Tried it on the tablet and ended up on the internet with list of several websites. RJA36

Don't rely on Start/ search programs and files (doesn't see all files on a device). Go to the installation folders directly ...because the file SHOULD definitely be there as part of an RM installation.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

What now? I reinstalled RM6 on my desktop which has Windows 7. I no longer get the error message BUT when I preview itwith the browser (Internet Explorer 11) only the Home page has the data. The Name Index page and Pedigree page are totally blank except for the headings.

Here is a new problem using my Surface Pro 2 tablet which has Windows 8.1. I copied RM6 from the desktop to a flash drive. Then copied RM6 from the flash drive to the tablet. It required the registration key which I provided. Next I created a new simple database. When trying to create a website using Publish Online I not only got the following error message but now RM6 is frozen up with that error message. When I trid to turn the power off a message states this app RootsMagic 6 is preventing shutdown.

Thanks for your time! Ron Adams

Did you install the full program on the tablet or just copy the files over from your desktop computer? If you copied the files then uninstall or delete those files and do a fresh install on the tablet.

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Renee

I copied RM6 from the RM6 Disk to the tablet by way of a flash drive. Today, I uninstalled and deleted all RM6 files then installed it again. The process was not the same. The first time it required the registration key from the downloaded program but did not require an update as it was version 6.3.1.0. Today it did not require the register key from the Disk RM6. But it was an earlier version that had to be updated to 6.3.1.0.

Results on both the tablet and desktop: No error messages. When previewing the website in the browser, the Home page is complete but again the Name Index and Pedigree pages are blank except for the headings. Also the Help button is missing from the Home page although it was checked. Like member kbensON above, across the bottom of the screen on the Name Index and Pedigree pages is - Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running script or ActiveX controls. When I click “Allow blocked content” nothing changes

Thanks for your time! RJA36

#14 alansogd

alansogd

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

RJA36, it definitely sounds like the browser is blocking requests for data files.

In Internet Explorer, you can bypass this with "Allow blocked content", but there's a bug in the request library we use (jQuery) so it sometimes fails on local requests in Internet Explorer 11. jQuery has since fixed this, but I haven't patched it into RootsMagic yet.

If you plan on uploading your site, this won't be a problem. This only happens for local requests to files on your own machine. Once it is on a web server, like my.rootsmagic.com, the problem will go away.

If you need it to work locally, it should still work in Firefox, and Chrome (with the correct flag that kBens0n mentioned).

If you *need* it to work in IE11 locally, and you aren't afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can replace the jquery-1.7.2.min.js file in the javascript folder with the most recent version of jQuery from jquery.com. I suspect this will fix your problem.

I am not sure when the next RootsMagic update is scheduled for release, but I will try to have jQuery updated so you won't have this problem in the future.

#15 RJA36

RJA36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

alansogd:

Thanks for your definitive answer! So I see no need to spend any more time on this. I am afraid of getting my hands dirty especially after looking at jquery.com. My skill level is limited to moving a file from one folder to another. It’s still difficult to believe I am the only person using IE 11 that has this problem.

Guess I’ll open an account and upload directly to My.RootsMagic.com to see what editing is needed. Then make the changes on my computer and periodically update the website. In the meantime, I will not share the website address until I’m satisfied.

Thanks again for your help! RJA36

#16 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3458 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

alansogd:

Thanks for your definitive answer! So I see no need to spend any more time on this. I am afraid of getting my hands dirty especially after looking at jquery.com. My skill level is limited to moving a file from one folder to another. It’s still difficult to believe I am the only person using IE 11 that has this problem.

You're not the only one using Internet Explorer, of course. Most folks just continue on to the upload and then view the online results. And unfortunately for us, alansogd's speculation about newer jQuery working some magic doesn't seem to work. I'm not a javascript guy, but I tried a number of variations on newer minified versions of jQuery, then the transitional plugin version, newer cookie, lightbox and hashchange library versions and Internet Explorer still has a number of problems such as with the global 'jQuery' variable being seen as undefined and the newer jQuery libraries choking on deprecated 'msie' properties and such that are a part of the other .js file calls. Additionally, I think the generated local files ought to contain a Mark Of The Web comment line that references the files' intended destination at my.rootsmagic.com (as a means to avoid the IE security prompt). Every Windows box has IE "built in" so it likely needs looking into.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#17 alansogd

alansogd

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Alright, disregard my "hands dirty" advice. I haven't tried to fix it yet, but I was basing it off of a jQuery bug report whose symptoms described the problem I was having on IE11. It could be, as kBens0n says, that the upgrade will involve more than a simple file replacement. I will try to have a fix in the next update for this.