• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MJRice

MJRice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I am a former RootsMagic user, and I want to come back.  However, I just can't read the fonts in many of the RM dialog boxes on my laptop screen.

I have a registered copy of RM6, that sits unused.  I've been using Legacy - only because they allow font sizes to increase when dialog boxes are stretched.  This means I can read the fonts in that program, on any screen.

I've read through the forums and have tried three fixes:

• I changed the font sizes in RM using Tools>Program Options>Display
    • This helped with the main menus, pedigree view and the notes editing screens.
    • It did nothing to make the data entry screens readable.
  • I changed system fonts on my Windows 7 Pro computer to make text in active windows, window headers etc. larger.
    • This also did nothing for the data entry screens.
  • I increased my DPI setting through my Windows control panel.
    • This also did not fix my RM data entry screens.

These are a few of the screens that don't seem to be affected by the system font changes or the RM adjustment options:

Edit Person - right side

Edit Source

Add Child

Add Individual

Master Source List>Add New source

Add Fact

These are the screens where I will spend most of my time, entering data on individuals.  I must be able to see what I'm doing without intense eye strain.

Is there any other fix I could try so I can finally use my RM program?  I don't like the user interface in Legacy, but am forced to use it because I can read their fonts.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

You have run into a long, outstanding problem with RootsMagic for which there is no fix. Try using it on an 8" tablet! And maybe the converse is a solution - get a really big screen.

Have you tried reducing the resolution in Windows display properties?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

You didn't mention your operating system but have you tried from your Desktop - Right click > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Make it easier to read what's on your screen?

Or type "accessibility" into Search Programs and Files

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 MJRice

MJRice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

You have run into a long, outstanding problem with RootsMagic for which there is no fix. Try using it on an 8" tablet! And maybe the converse is a solution - get a really big screen.

Have you tried reducing the resolution in Windows display properties?

*Sigh*  I am getting a big screen, but alas, it will be in the form of an iMac.  Perhaps the next iteration of RM will be Mac friendly, though!

I will try playing with the display settings.  I'm using a hi-res matte laptop screen.

You didn't mention your operating system but have you tried from your Desktop - Right click > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Make it easier to read what's on your screen?

Or type "accessibility" into Search Programs and Files

This is what I have already done.  The 'make text larger or smaller' option is the same as changing the DPI.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

Here's hoping the next generation of RM will give us the flexibility to adjust the fonts on all screens from in-program, or at least make them adjustable via changing the system fonts!

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Windows 7 has a magnifier that you can turn on to look at sections with the len if you are having a hard time reading things.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

It's true that Windows includes a magnifier tool, but it is not a very elegant tool. I wonder why Windows and RootsMagic don't allow the user to have more complete control of font sizes?

#7 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

To increase text size in windows Cntr +, decrease Cntr -.

Kidd

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for that tip, Kidd. It is one I had forgotten and used it to improve the readability of this site on the Chrome desktop browser on my Windows 8 tablet. However it has no apparent effect on RootsMagic.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.