• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MJRice

MJRice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I am a former RootsMagic user, and I want to come back.  However, I just can't read the fonts in many of the RM dialog boxes on my laptop screen.

I have a registered copy of RM6, that sits unused.  I've been using Legacy - only because they allow font sizes to increase when dialog boxes are stretched.  This means I can read the fonts in that program, on any screen.

I've read through the forums and have tried three fixes:

• I changed the font sizes in RM using Tools>Program Options>Display
    • This helped with the main menus, pedigree view and the notes editing screens.
    • It did nothing to make the data entry screens readable.
  • I changed system fonts on my Windows 7 Pro computer to make text in active windows, window headers etc. larger.
    • This also did nothing for the data entry screens.
  • I increased my DPI setting through my Windows control panel.
    • This also did not fix my RM data entry screens.

These are a few of the screens that don't seem to be affected by the system font changes or the RM adjustment options:

Edit Person - right side

Edit Source

Add Child

Add Individual

Master Source List>Add New source

Add Fact

These are the screens where I will spend most of my time, entering data on individuals.  I must be able to see what I'm doing without intense eye strain.

Is there any other fix I could try so I can finally use my RM program?  I don't like the user interface in Legacy, but am forced to use it because I can read their fonts.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

You have run into a long, outstanding problem with RootsMagic for which there is no fix. Try using it on an 8" tablet! And maybe the converse is a solution - get a really big screen.

Have you tried reducing the resolution in Windows display properties?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3386 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

You didn't mention your operating system but have you tried from your Desktop - Right click > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Make it easier to read what's on your screen?

Or type "accessibility" into Search Programs and Files

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 MJRice

MJRice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

You have run into a long, outstanding problem with RootsMagic for which there is no fix. Try using it on an 8" tablet! And maybe the converse is a solution - get a really big screen.

Have you tried reducing the resolution in Windows display properties?

*Sigh*  I am getting a big screen, but alas, it will be in the form of an iMac.  Perhaps the next iteration of RM will be Mac friendly, though!

I will try playing with the display settings.  I'm using a hi-res matte laptop screen.

You didn't mention your operating system but have you tried from your Desktop - Right click > Screen Resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Make it easier to read what's on your screen?

Or type "accessibility" into Search Programs and Files

This is what I have already done.  The 'make text larger or smaller' option is the same as changing the DPI.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

Here's hoping the next generation of RM will give us the flexibility to adjust the fonts on all screens from in-program, or at least make them adjustable via changing the system fonts!

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8370 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Windows 7 has a magnifier that you can turn on to look at sections with the len if you are having a hard time reading things.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

It's true that Windows includes a magnifier tool, but it is not a very elegant tool. I wonder why Windows and RootsMagic don't allow the user to have more complete control of font sizes?

#7 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

To increase text size in windows Cntr +, decrease Cntr -.

Kidd

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for that tip, Kidd. It is one I had forgotten and used it to improve the readability of this site on the Chrome desktop browser on my Windows 8 tablet. However it has no apparent effect on RootsMagic.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.